Mavic has been placed in receivership

Ross

Mavic has been placed in receivership

Postby Ross » Fri May 08, 2020 6:38 am

https://france3-regions.francetvinfo.fr ... 26034.html

(in French)
The French manufacturer of bicycle wheels Mavic, which employs about 250 people, has been placed in receivership, announced, Thursday, May 7, the CSE and the intersyndicale who demand accountability from Solomon, their former parent company and its main shareholder, the Finnish group Amer Sports.

MichaelB

Re: Mavic has been placed in receivership

Postby MichaelB » Fri May 08, 2020 7:45 am

I think there will be many other companies in the same boat soon.

Colnago got bought out by others, think that it will happen heaps more. Meh

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 am

No sympathy. One of the pioneers of geoblocking and stupid high prices.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat May 09, 2020 7:50 am

They are so well known that the brand will endure. The number of bikes specc’ed with Mavic wheels suggests with the large volume of OEM sales an investor jump in quickly.
Cycling is in my BNA

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon May 11, 2020 3:21 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 am
That's a bit mean though, they've got some really good people there in that company who are out there on the side of the road fixing bikes and keeping riders going.

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm

L'Equipe says a group including two former pro riders is aiming to save Mavic

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industr ... save-mavic
According to L'Equipe — a paper that is owned by ASO, which also owns the Tour de France and other major cycling events — lawyer Didier Poulmaire is working with "a small group of experts from the bicycle manufacturing, distribution, events and marketing sector and two renowned ex-professional riders" to help revive Mavic.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed May 20, 2020 2:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 3:21 pm
Calvin27 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:12 am
That's a bit mean though, they've got some really good people there in that company who are out there on the side of the road fixing bikes and keeping riders going.
And they won't be out of a job. They will just have different branding on their shirts.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 pm

Isn't this like the 3rd time in a few years though?

Clearly something isn't working. Would be nice to see them get back to their heyday, although that was a good while ago now..
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

gabe76

Postby gabe76 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:01 pm

This is a real shame, like Vitus Mavic is a major French name which will become a generic brand selling third party hardware. But it has been a long time coming, Open Pros used to be the default high-end rim, but Mavic dragged their feet so long on making wide rims and refused to provide them in low spoke counts, I went somewher else & didn't look back. The wheel building business seems to be roaring and DT is flooding the market with a full array of up to date designs and quality hubs. Mavic seemed to be locked into some bizarre trajectory of dodgy "system" wheels deliberately designed to be incompatible with anything else, followed by questionable spoke materials like carbon & aluminium.
Apparently their UST system was actually good but they bet the house on it - and lost the format war. If anyone has ever read about the fall of Schwinn this looks eerily similar, along lived segment leader dropping the ball & going out of business within just a few product cycles.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:11 pm

gabe76 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:01 pm
..this looks eerily similar, along lived segment leader dropping the ball & going out of business within just a few product cycles.
Just moved companies for exactly this problem.

When you have the MBA students requesting a quiet moment and asking in hushed tones “my lecturer just said this but didn’t we just do...?” and you have to take a deep breath and say “Yup, but previously ” and have a ten minute rant, it’s time to go.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:05 pm

Ross wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm

According to L'Equipe — a paper that is owned by ASO, which also owns the Tour de France and other major cycling events — lawyer Didier Poulmaire is working with "a small group of experts from the bicycle manufacturing, distribution, events and marketing sector and two renowned ex-professional riders" to help revive Mavic.
Hinault was touted as one of the cyclists yesty. If anyone can force life into Mavic, the de Gaulle of cycling can!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:51 pm

fat and old wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:05 pm
Ross wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:00 pm

Hinault was touted as one of the cyclists yesty. If anyone can force life into Mavic, the de Gaulle of cycling can!
If the Badger were to get involved, this could only be a good thing and his no-nonsense approach would be a net positive for the brand.

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:56 am

Fox drops offer to acquire Mavic, but about 13 potential buyers remain

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/interna ... ers-remain

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 am

Bourrelier is apparent new owner of Mavic SAS

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/interna ... -mavic-sas
GRENOBLE, France (BRAIN) — The French investment group Bourrelier, the former owner of the Bricorama home improvement retail chain, appears to be set to take over Mavic, which is in receivership.

According to French news reports, the Grenoble commercial court that is overseeing the receivership approved Bourrelier's bid on Tuesday. Fourteen organizations had made bids to take over the company, although at least two of those bids were withdrawn before the court made its decision. Among the bidders were a group that included Tour de France hero Bernard Hinault.

According to the reports, the Bourrelier group provided a plan that would protect 105 jobs at Mavic, about half the current employees. The plan would maintain Mavic R&D facilities in Annecy, France and production in St. Triviers.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:33 pm

They need to go back to just making wheels. Over the past couple of years, they have branched out into shoes, socks, bib shorts and god knows what else. That is a very crowded space and I'd be amazed if they made any money out of these products. Wheels are their bread and butter and the one thing that they have a point of difference on.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:35 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:33 pm
They need to go back to just making wheels. Over the past couple of years, they have branched out into shoes, socks, bib shorts and god knows what else. That is a very crowded space and I'd be amazed if they made any money out of these products. Wheels are their bread and butter and the one thing that they have a point of difference on.

Agree, wheels and maybe tyres/tubes but that would probably be the means of capitalizing on the Brand's identity.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:30 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:35 pm
Agree, wheels and maybe tyres/tubes but that would probably be the means of capitalizing on the Brand's identity.

And Mektronic.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:30 pm
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:35 pm

And Mektronic.

May as well bring Mavic Zap back onto the market...(would still be better than SRAM :lol: )

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:20 pm

Ross wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:40 am
Bourrelier is apparent new owner of Mavic SAS

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/interna ... -mavic-sas
GRENOBLE, France (BRAIN) — The French investment group Bourrelier, the former owner of the Bricorama home improvement retail chain, appears to be set to take over Mavic, which is in receivership.

According to French news reports, the Grenoble commercial court that is overseeing the receivership approved Bourrelier's bid on Tuesday. Fourteen organizations had made bids to take over the company, although at least two of those bids were withdrawn before the court made its decision. Among the bidders were a group that included Tour de France hero Bernard Hinault.

According to the reports, the Bourrelier group provided a plan that would protect 105 jobs at Mavic, about half the current employees. The plan would maintain Mavic R&D facilities in Annecy, France and production in St. Triviers.
The bib shorts are awful, I have two pairs of them in Haute Route colours (1x Dolomites Innsbruck-Venice, 1x Alps Megeve-Nice) and I don't know how people deal with those. The padding seems soft enough, but the material ends up feeling like sand-paper after a while. Not good. Their gillets are extremely good however, so are the jerseys.

I'd be tempted to make them an offer on a bright yellow/black/grey Canyon Aeroad CF SLX if they are up for grabs. Maybe I could get the one I rode a few years ago if it's still around. :wink:
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:57 pm
May as well bring Mavic Zap back onto the market...(would still be better than SRAM :lol: )

I wonder, what have you had go wrong with SRAM E-Tap on your bike if I may ask? I've done over 40,000km on my 11 speed E-Tap, not a single problem, it has been very reliable. I change the CR2032 batteries on the shifters pretty rarely considering the kilometres I do, charge up the main batteries now and then but aside from that, nothing else.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:40 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:20 pm
(snipped)
I wonder, what have you had go wrong with SRAM E-Tap on your bike if I may ask? I've done over 40,000km on my 11 speed E-Tap, not a single problem, it has been very reliable. I change the CR2032 batteries on the shifters pretty rarely considering the kilometres I do, charge up the main batteries now and then but aside from that, nothing else.

Not e-Tap specifically, just SRAM in general. It's just so....approximate.

Sometimes it goes together sorta well, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it needs a rubber mallet. And these experiences I've had offend my mechanical sensibilities.
Especially at the economical end of the spectrum, where the deficiencies are much more apparent when compared with their main opposition.
I will admit to not having any exposure to e-Tap, only minimal exposure to Shimano's Di2 or any other of the electronica/techno/dubstep groupsets and is not something I would use, my brain still appreciates analogue too much. Not being a tech-snob, I just know what I like.

That being said, I'd probably try Mavic Zap on a bike if I could get my hands on some bits. I wonder if the advances we've made in solenoids/small motors etc since the early 90s would now make a re-engineered Mavic Zap usable ? :idea:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:47 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:40 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:20 pm
(snipped)

Not e-Tap specifically, just SRAM in general. It's just so....approximate.

Sometimes it goes together sorta well, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it needs a rubber mallet. And these experiences I've had offend my mechanical sensibilities.
Especially at the economical end of the spectrum, where the deficiencies are much more apparent when compared with their main opposition.
I will admit to not having any exposure to e-Tap, only minimal exposure to Shimano's Di2 or any other of the electronica/techno/dubstep groupsets and is not something I would use, my brain still appreciates analogue too much. Not being a tech-snob, I just know what I like.

That being said, I'd probably try Mavic Zap on a bike if I could get my hands on some bits. I wonder if the advances we've made in solenoids/small motors etc since the early 90s would now make a re-engineered Mavic Zap usable ? :idea:
I'd suspect it would be a lot easier now to do something like that.

When you do a lot of riding, you appreciate how easy the electronic shifting systems are. No shifting cables to mess about with, no tweaking all the time. My other bikes aside from the TT bike (it is Di2) are all mechanical Dura Ace 9000 so I still understand how to work on them, it's just so easy not having to muck about with replacing shift cables over time.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:47 pm
. No shifting cables to mess about with, no tweaking all the time. .....

But dude, that's the bit I like.

The fettling, the tuning, the constant striving for a higher level of performance. :D

I love that stuff.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

The fettling, the tuning, the constant striving for a higher level of performance. :D

I love that stuff.

Imagine the horror of getting on your bike and having it work perfectly every time. :shock:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:30 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:14 pm
10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:03 pm

I love that stuff.

Imagine the horror of getting on your bike and having it work perfectly every time. :shock:
But, but, what would I do with all this free time ?

Chances are I would indulge in some form of nefarious vice-ridden hedonism, and I'm not sure I could go through all that again.

Nope, mechanical groupsets and old-school bikes keep me from debauchery, ergo it is of benefit. Hence, mechanical groupsets are good for you.

Not sure how we got here, maybe I should go and re-lace some Mavic Cxp30s as penance (I liked the Cxp30 a lot).

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:37 pm

I've seen more issues with electronic groupsets tbh.
Usually just a flat battery but occasionally some other undiagnosable problem at the side of the road.
Bloke on the Tuesday ride had a problem getting the di2 front derailleur to shift to the big ring recently after going over Mt Alex.
Got it done with someone elses help and/or battery.
Promptly forgot and selected the small ring (which it did) up a small rise before the swap off.
Gone off the back of the swap off subsequently :o :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink: