Llewellyn Discus Colossus build thread !

MichaelB

Re: Llewellyn Discus Colossus build thread !

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:35 pm

Managed to finally do the loop up to Mt Lofty, across to White Hill via Woods Hill Road and then down Montacute Rd.

Link didn't work, but the bit from Woods Hill Road (just off Greenhill Rd) connecting to Stony Rise Road, Monmeith Rd, Marble Hill Road and then down Montacute is one of the better routes near home.

Beautiful hotmix with lovely cambered sweeping bends, a bit of climbing and descending along the ridge, then that great plummet down into Campbelltown is just brilliant !

LG

Postby LG » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:43 pm

I assume the bike fits like a glove, climbs and descends nicely? Or in other words is a pleasure to ride...

How compliant is the frame with the massive down tube?

It looks great by the way!
LG = Low Gear

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:52 pm

LG wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:43 pm
I assume the bike fits like a glove, climbs and descends nicely? Or in other words is a pleasure to ride...

How compliant is the frame with the massive down tube?

It looks great by the way!
The frame is not compliant, but not is it harsh.

The best I can describe is that it is very taut. I’m a big lad, so think that helps, as a light person would find it harsh, but Dazza would probably steer them away from this frame.

But yes, it’s brilliant

LG

Postby LG » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:58 am

Given the first post in this thread was August 2020, and your obvious excitement throughout the period prior to delivery, I'm really pleased that your high expectations for the bike have been met (and probably exceeded). That's a tough thing to do. All credit to yourself and Dazza for getting the design and tube selection right, not to mention the incredible quality of the workmanship.
LG = Low Gear

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:28 am

LG wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:58 am
Given the first post in this thread was August 2020, and your obvious excitement throughout the period prior to delivery, I'm really pleased that your high expectations for the bike have been met (and probably exceeded). That's a tough thing to do. All credit to yourself and Dazza for getting the design and tube selection right, not to mention the incredible quality of the workmanship.
Yep, it was a very long 'pregnancy' indeed, and there was a lot of sweat, worry, excitement and heartache that went into this build, and the end product is more that I wished for.

The original article that helped me decide on Dazza still rings true, and whilst he claims the frame building is his profession and the trains his passion, it is more than that

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:50 am

Sorry, I think I sailed past on my Bowman today if that was you by the side of the road at the bus depot near Cootha.

It would have been nice to compare colours!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:27 am

:D
Mr Purple wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:50 am
Sorry, I think I sailed past on my Bowman today if that was you by the side of the road at the bus depot near Cootha.

It would have been nice to compare colours!
Deffo not me.

Im in Adelaide

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:00 am

Well there is someone else with an orange Llewellyn with white writing.

Glad I didn’t stop; that could have been awkward.

davehirst

Postby davehirst » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:53 pm

Muck common those orange Llewellyn bikes.
🤣

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:22 pm

That’s what I thought!

‘I don’t know you but I recognise this bike from the internet’. Awkward silence…

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:37 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:22 pm
That’s what I thought!

‘I don’t know you but I recognise this bike from the internet’. Awkward silence…
Hahaha.

Will be up on GC in Mid Sep, but not sure if I’ll bring the Tangerine Dream ….

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:20 am

As mentioned in the Vigorelli thread, not much riding going on (weather, cold/flu and now Covid), but managed to get a bit of sun and washed both bikes.

The Llewellyn now has the Hunt 35mm deep wheels shod with some 30mm Schwalbe One's, ready for some more action when iso ends.

The Tangerine Dream has now logged a shade over 1,000km (1,060 to be precise) and ready for plenty more.

In Dazza's latest facebook post, he mentioned that he not taking any more lugless frame orders atm until he clears his backlog of lugged frames. His joints are suffering a bit from the filing required !

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:49 am

In the end it was funny, but before that was an "Oh oh ...." moment.

Came back from the Saturday ride and noticed that the Wahoo had a 'Low Battery' alert for the Rotor PM. "Cool" I initially thought, and then had a moment to try and remember where the charge cable was, as it's a unique one for the Rotor cranks.

Got the pretty box that they came in, as I last charged it when I got the cranks (to make sure they were working and paired it to the Wahoo - so that was 8+ months ago ....).

Hmm, not in the box .... :?

Racked the brains and then checked the box of Di2 wires and charge cables - PHEW :) Found it. Will probably order a spare (and the battery cover with the next Bike24 order).

That was a tense 5 min. Charged up overnight and all good for Sunday :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am

Geez, it's been a while since the last update :shock:

After last nights ride, the Discus Colossus has now clocked up 2,684km, and per the Toyota ads, "Yep, still lovin' it !"

Had a few Di2 learning issues along the way which destroyed a couple of chains, but that was purely down to user error, and nothing to do with the chains.

The 1st incident was just before Xmas, where I took the bike down to our holiday location by car. After unloading it, went to go for a spin and 1st push on the pedals to take off saw the chain snap :? Bugger. Went back home and got a spare waxed chain and fitted, and went riding fine.
Think that when in the car, the RD got 'shifted' and I never checked it before setting off, so when pressure applied, it boke a link plate and the chain snapped.
The 2nd one was on a ride in the Hills, and heading down a descent and approaching a steep short climb, shifted from the 50/12 to the small chainring on the front in prep. Met with a few grinding/crunching noises, but all good and kept on riding. After a further 30 or so km and climbing up Norton Summit, noticed that there was a noise from the chain and a bit of skipping. Stopped and looked down and saw this :shock:

Luckily, I could pretty much coast home. Was more disappointed as I missed a 2nd Century for the month by 5km .....

Anyway, all good in the end and had a nice evening ride down the coast last night ...

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:51 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:18 am
Geez, it's been a while since the last update :shock:

After last nights ride, the Discus Colossus has now clocked up 2,684km, and per the Toyota ads, "Yep, still lovin' it !"

Had a few Di2 learning issues along the way which destroyed a couple of chains, but that was purely down to user error, and nothing to do with the chains.

The 1st incident was just before Xmas, where I took the bike down to our holiday location by car. After unloading it, went to go for a spin and 1st push on the pedals to take off saw the chain snap :? Bugger. Went back home and got a spare waxed chain and fitted, and went riding fine.
Think that when in the car, the RD got 'shifted' and I never checked it before setting off, so when pressure applied, it boke a link plate and the chain snapped.
The 2nd one was on a ride in the Hills, and heading down a descent and approaching a steep short climb, shifted from the 50/12 to the small chainring on the front in prep. Met with a few grinding/crunching noises, but all good and kept on riding. After a further 30 or so km and climbing up Norton Summit, noticed that there was a noise from the chain and a bit of skipping. Stopped and looked down and saw this :shock:

Luckily, I could pretty much coast home. Was more disappointed as I missed a 2nd Century for the month by 5km .....

Anyway, all good in the end and had a nice evening ride down the coast last night ...

Looks lovely!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 pm

Still a beautiful bike Michael. Looks fantastic! The paint is very nicely done too. 8)
I like the wheels also.

I have never had that happen to a chain. Must be the big Michael B quads making the chains cry too much :o
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 am

My son broke a shimano chain mid link like that. Hamfisted shifting I suppose.

I've only ever had a campy chain fail once and it was at the pin. It was due to an issue with the casette.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:03 am

Comedian wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:41 am
My son broke a shimano chain mid link like that. Hamfisted shifting I suppose.

I've only ever had a campy chain fail once and it was at the pin. It was due to an issue with the casette.
The same chain is used on the other roadie (and the roadie before that) without any issues on Mech shifting. So not the chain, but the rider … 8)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:16 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 pm
Still a beautiful bike Michael. Looks fantastic! The paint is very nicely done too. 8)
I like the wheels also.

I have never had that happen to a chain. Must be the big Michael B quads making the chains cry too much :o
Don't I wish it was the big quads, more like the rest of the 'big' me ... Inertia is a b!tch to overcome ....

Anyway, whilst there will be some minor tweaks coming over the next few weeks, with one of them being some new bar tape (to correct an appalling attempt, and also to get a better quality tape on there), the chain issue has me at a crossroads with the next potential update.

Running the 50/34 & 11-32 setup means that I'm close to my limit on the big/big scenario with the SS cage RD and it's a bit slack on the small-small combo. I've managed to source a new GRX RX185 as well as a lightly used R8050-GS top allow the option of running an 11-34 in the future if I need to.

Whilst the setup works well now, do I get the two new chains setup with the GS RD's (different length of the current one), or just persist with the SS RD that I currently have, and go the GS route when I need the bigger RD for when I do an alpine ride or similar ?

PS - scooped the two GS RD's for less than the cost of the new R8050-GS online, so they'll work as backup spares as well.

Any thoughts ?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:19 pm

I have never ridden di2 so have no clue what works.
I have four bikes with longer cage derailleurs though.
3 roadies running GS rear deraillers and the gravelly grx 810.
Cant ever see myself using a short cage derailleur again.
If I got a bike with one it'd be the first thing gone I reckon.
Better range and less chain slap with the longer cage derailleurs.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:39 pm

This is the article that sold me hook, line & sinker into getting a LLewellyn, and he's about to build another - think it will be the 3rd one.

Cost is into the 5 figures for F&F, and it's worth it when you consider what goes into it.

I'll be sharing some pics as they come up on his farceberk feed

Cheers

Note, those tubes are the same size as my frame, but with custom made lugs for each frame !! :shock:

BB stages ...

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Thu Feb 02, 2023 12:12 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:39 pm
This is the article that sold me hook, line & sinker into getting a LLewellyn, and he's about to build another - think it will be the 3rd one.

Cost is into the 5 figures for F&F, and it's worth it when you consider what goes into it.

I'll be sharing some pics as they come up on his farceberk feed

Please do, and thanks for sharing.

With total respect for Darrell's craftsmanship, the curved seat stays don't really do it for me and the bidon cage covering part of the logo just bugs me a bit, but I'll take off my extremely pedantic hat now and say what a fantastic bike!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:58 pm

It’s been one of those bike related crap weekends :(

See the ICAN build thread for the other two, and then on a ride this morning, couldn’t avoid a pothole at speed :o :o

Luckily, could ride home albeit carefully.

Staying away from the bike for the rest of the weekend !!!!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm

I saw that in your other thread and now this. :( :(

Bummer :x

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:39 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:05 pm
I saw that in your other thread and now this. :( :(

Bummer :x
It’s a double PFBB !!you can get a spare rim from Hunt though. Only $722. Or a whole wheelset for $430 more ….