Llewellyn Discus Colossus build thread !

MichaelB

Llewellyn Discus Colossus build thread !

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:43 am

It'd been a long held desire that started ages ago, to get a sweet steel/Ti bike made as I approached my twilight years as a 'last bike'. Only problem was, the cost was more than funds available by a long shot. The bike put out by Baum were many of the drool worthy moments of my attention.
And then article, a Cycling Tips BoB was spotted. I knew then where my lust was directed.

I could only imagine what the cost would be, and it'd never be a variant that I could afford, but the craftsmanship and level of detail in the build meant that my focus was turned from Baum to Llewellyn.

The dream never left, and I've built up other bikes, ridden others and lusted after some other custom builders, with Prova being a standout. But if any good came of the damned Covid crap, was that potential overseas trips were delayed (a mate and I were planning on 2 weeks in Andorra) meaning that savings were starting to pile up. I started looking at frames that may be a suitable candidate, but they all fell short in one way or another - either availability, size, tyre capability, paintjob, BB spec or value.

Then, finally after much too-ing, fro-ing, I bit the bullet, rand Mr Darrell McCulloch, asked a few questions and within 10min of that phone call, a$500 non-refundable deposit was made to secure my place in his build cue.

My steed, hopefully in Dec (just in time for my birthday and Xmas), will be MY Discus Colossus. It's won't be the lugged version like the CT BoB, but it's likely to be the 1st of it's type (will reveal what later when confirmed !) It'll look more like this one ;
ImageIMG_3611 by Darrell McCulloch, on Flickr

I'll use some of my leftover bits (from past BNA reviews that I rate and love) that I have, and some new investments made in finishing kit to build the bike that I'll LOVE for a long time (oooooh, that sounds creepy 8) )

Some will cringe at the cost, but damn, I've worked hard for many years and saved, so bugger it :D

More details to come as bits arrive :mrgreen:

Tim

Re: Llewellyn Discus Colossus build thread !

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:53 am

Red, gold and black combination by any chance Michael?
The 3 colours work together beautifully.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:07 pm

Tim wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:53 am
Frame likely to be similar in colour to the Bowman Palace in Orange Sherbet

Need to work out the lettering colour, but seat/bartape will be black.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Well done Michael!
You've earned it.
Looking forward to watching it happen. :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 pm

This sounds like it's going to be everything I love about what we can do on this country. Hand-built, simple yet elegant.

Surely, in recognition of it's Australian-ness, a dark green duco scheme with subtle gold highlights would be cool. Or would that be corny?

And the green could be good for all the envious people looking on (i.e...including me).
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Tim

Postby Tim » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:38 pm

Whoar, looking forward to this. :D

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:17 pm

I think everyone's epic bikes always start with a lot of piss farting around, and then you just bite the bullet and realise life is too short and bam deposit down haha!

It's so pretty! Can't wait for pics!
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:21 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:07 pm
Tim wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:53 am
Frame likely to be similar in colour to the Bowman Palace in Orange Sherbet

Need to work out the lettering colour, but seat/bartape will be black
I like the colour and the white banding on the frame in that photo. Breaks it up a bit.

Brake calipers may key in, in black then?
Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:21 pm

Subscribed.

I was chatting to a bloke the other day who has a half built Llewellyn hanging up in his shed, custom made for him in 2004! I just couldn't bear to have it in that state, it either gets finished and ridden, or sold, preferably the former.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:30 pm

Nice! Can't wait to see the finished product
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:52 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:21 pm
..I was chatting to a bloke the other day who has a half built Llewellyn hanging up in his shed, custom made for him in 2004! I just couldn't bear to have it in that state, it either gets finished and ridden, or sold, preferably the former.
That ain't gonna happen.

If I had my way, I'll be building it up as it got delivered !!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Just came in the mail :mrgreen:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:45 pm

Ah, forgot to post some overall build specs ;

Frame - Columbus HSS tubing, TA & internal routing
Fork - Columbus Carbon (model tbc)
Groupset - Ultegra Di2, ain’t battery & bar end JB
Crank - Ritor 2inPower, 172.5mm & 110 BCD
Brakes - Hope RX4
Rotors - either M900 or Hope
Wheels - Token Konax Pro
Tyres - tbc, but 28mm wide
H/Bars - 3T Ergonova Pro carbon
Saddle - Selle Repente
BB - not sure yet

Will have some bits leftover from Di2 gruppo that I bought (R8000 compact crank, R800 rotors and calipers) will post pics When I get them

Cheers

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:59 pm

Great looking build. Can I ask about the wheels? What made you go Token as opposed to something else?

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:25 am

Warnesy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:59 pm
Great looking build. Can I ask about the wheels? What made you go Token as opposed to something else?
They were from a review (see the link) so essentially sitting in my garage :P

If I had to buy a pair, not sure what I’d buy, but having sampled the Token’s, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, but I’d get the next height down so they aren’t impacted by wind as much (for me, anyway).

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 am

MichaelB wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:45 pm
I recently bought the columbus forks that have adjustable offset 47/52mm. Will report back, but they seem to have this function in some of their range.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:39 am

Calvin27 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:35 am
MichaelB wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:45 pm
I recently bought the columbus forks that have adjustable offset 47/52mm. Will report back, but they seem to have this function in some of their range.
That’d be great. What model and what is tyre clearance and A2C ?

Ta

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:39 am
That’d be great. What model and what is tyre clearance and A2C ?
I've been through a fair few forks lately for some reason, that's between two builds this year (been a bit unlucky with the cars :( )
- Kinesis tracer 1.5 disc TA. Pretty sturdy fork about 380a2c, 45mm offset. Internal brake cable routing which looks nice and the gloss looks good too. Currently on my road bike but switching to more offset. Clears 32c
- Whiskey No.9 RD+. This one apparently clears 38c which is insane for a 383mm a2c! Build quality is immaculate compared to other forks I've had before. 51mm offset.
- Columbus futura disc, 367a2c, mounted but did not chuck it on because the a2c is a bit on the low side for my frame spec.
- Curve belgie v1. Bought used and never got around to using it. Same problem as the columbus, a2c is too low. But it does clear 32 much easier than the kinesis. Build quality looks no different to an off the shelf chinese spec one - in fact it looks identical to the fork Waltly offered me for $100usd!

The columbus fork I have ordered with adjustable offset only comes in 395a2c (aggressive gravel fork) so not sure it's going to suit you.

Forks are weird, I always thought you build a frame then find the fork. Having done 2 custom frames now, I rekon you pick and buy the fork and then design the frame around it. It's so much easier to change a frame on plan then scour the interwebs trying to find a suitable fork for a decent price. In the end I ponied up for the whiskey which I wasn't too happy about and now I have a tonne of forks in the shed and a few hundred poorer!

Probably preaching to the converted, but your frame builder will be all over this I suppose.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am

Awesome build spec MickB, and I do like those wheels very much (I remember the review).

Am very excited to see this build.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:21 am

Calvin27 wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:04 am
- Kinesis tracer 1.5 disc TA. Pretty sturdy fork about 380a2c, 45mm offset. Internal brake cable routing which looks nice and the gloss looks good too. Currently on my road bike but switching to more offset. Clears 32c

Probably preaching to the converted, but your frame builder will be all over this I suppose.
I have a leftover Tracer fork too, but it's QR.

I reckon Darrell will be all over it.

I've seen the Columbus Grammy as the fork for the rim braked Colossus, but noting listed for the Discus Colossus, so not sure what'll get used in the end. Only spec for me is to clear 30mm tyres (more like 28's that are bigger than their size claim, as I found out with the Tufo Comtura Duo's which measured just over 30mm on the Token Konax wheelset)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:26 am

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:09 am
Awesome build spec MickB, and I do like those wheels very much (I remember the review).

Am very excited to see this build.
Me too !!

But only 11 days into a 18 week wait :shock:

Have been busy shopping though in the meantime, and just this morning jumped on the RX4 Calipers from Wiggle. Just about EVERY supplier that lists them, either had none or just a front or rear, with some quoting 22 week leadtime.

Got the stock alert from Wiggle this morning and ordered a pair in Black.

So, that's another thing sorted !!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:05 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:26 am

Me too !!

But only 11 days into a 18 week wait :shock:

Have been busy shopping though in the meantime, and just this morning jumped on the RX4 Calipers from Wiggle. Just about EVERY supplier that lists them, either had none or just a front or rear, with some quoting 22 week leadtime.

Got the stock alert from Wiggle this morning and ordered a pair in Black.

So, that's another thing sorted !!
Haven't used the Hope calipers as yet, although have used their disc rotors (just out of curiosity plus they were on sale) and seemed very good quality.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:37 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:21 am

I've seen the Columbus Grammy as the fork for the rim braked Colossus, but noting listed for the Discus Colossus, so not sure what'll get used in the end. Only spec for me is to clear 30mm tyres (more like 28's that are bigger than their size claim, as I found out with the
Also keep in mind there will be a lot of other specs that the frame builder will consider. a2c is a good start, but offset, front centre affects handling and physical characteristics like toe overlap. Then there is also the question of steerer tube. All mine a 1/125-1/5 steerers but it's pretty common for road bikesto have 1 1/4 lowers for a more streamline look. Other bikes that are more gravel oriented tend to run ZS44 top and bottom so as to take straight and tapered (with external cups) This is versatile, but it does add to the real a2c dimensions. Like you said he's probably all over it, have a chat before you pull the trigger on anything :)
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
No brakes bike
Ebike

Warnesy

Postby Warnesy » Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:56 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:25 am
Warnesy wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:59 pm
They were from a review (see the link) so essentially sitting in my garage :P

If I had to buy a pair, not sure what I’d buy, but having sampled the Token’s, I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them, but I’d get the next height down so they aren’t impacted by wind as much (for me, anyway).
That makes sense! Was wondering whether you would put some Aussie wheels on an Aussie frame, but given you have a good set ready to go one less decision to make.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Aug 18, 2020 5:06 pm

And Warnsey, are there such a thing as “Aussie” wheels ?

Sure, some may be built here, and I’ll probably repurpose the existing spare wheelset I have (low profile carbon hoops) with some TA hubs, but all the parts would come from OS.