Freewheel cassette stuck on tightly

ironhanglider

Re: Freewheel cassette stuck on tightly

Postby ironhanglider » Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:21 pm

David Collier wrote: Thanks Duck for info on freewheel thread size. I see a freewheel on epay with one less tooth on top gear and fewer teeth overall which is all I need. Have a large chainwheel which means the chain presently fouls the frame on lowest gears. Without the motor it had a 7-speed freewheel; with it only room for a 6 speed. This is a well made all-alloy bike: didn't know KIA made such bikes before noticing it at local recycling centre.
I can't quite picture how the chain fouls the frame on the lowest gears, especially as a result of a large chainwheel. I'm not familiar with the bike though.

Normally a 6-speed freewheel has cogs that are spaced a bit further apart than 7 speed freewheels, which means that the whole freewheel is not a lot narrower than the 7 speed and the different spacing means that the shifters won't move the chain far enough to engage the next cog properly. As a result if you have to change from 7 to 6 speed you will usually (see below) need to change shifters as well.

There is a possible alternative solution to changing shifters with some old parts from the 80's which still turn up occasionally. Sun-Tour made 6 speed freewheels with their Ultra-6 spacing, which is close enough to 7 speed to work with 7 speed shifters and derailleurs. (They also made 6 speed freewheels with their regular 6 speed spacing). I had a bike working nicely with an Ultra-6 Perfect freewheel and Microshift 8 speed shifters (7 and 8 speed shifters are the only ones that play nicely together). I think Suntour Winner Pro were all in the Ultra spacing, but Winner and Perfect models may be either.

6 speed shifters are probably cheaper than an Ultra-6 freewheel of unknown usage.

Cheers,

Cameron

David Collier

Re: Freewheel cassette stuck on tightly

Postby David Collier » Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:37 pm

Hi Cameron,
Dunno how to attach photo. Frame has single thick bars from above back axle to crank axle (?), under which chain runs from freewheel to chainwheel.
How to attach photos from desktop?
Regards