Entry-level Bike

Nammo22

Entry-level Bike

Postby Nammo22 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:22 pm

Hello,

I am a sporadic recreational rider and hoping to get more into riding - nothing too intense, just more frequent, longer rides. I am looking to buy a bike within about $700 and am unsure if I would be better off buying a new bike or a used one? I will mainly be riding on paved bike tracks but may also do occasional mild terrain riding (hybrid? cyclocross? road?). Any suggestions? I've had a look on gumtree and found a few that have caught my attention, but I honestly have no idea what I'm looking for. They are the 2019 Trek FX2 ($400), 2013 Giant defy 3 ($700), 2010 Merida Road Race 903 ($490) or Specialized Tricross Sport 2009 ($850). Unsure if these are over or well priced. Any guidance at all would be so appreciated!

Thank you 😊

10speedsemiracer

Re: Entry-level Bike

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:14 am

Firstly, we'd need to clarify the type of riding you're wanting to do and then match a bike to that usage scenario.

The selection of
2019 Trek FX2 ($400), 2013 Giant defy 3 ($700), 2010 Merida Road Race 903 ($490) or Specialized Tricross Sport 2009 ($850)
is actually quite impressive as there are at least three different categories of bike included.

The Trek Fx is a flat bar road bike, often bought by commuters and those seeking a sort of sporty recreation bike, but don't want drop handlebars.
The Giant Defy is an endurance-themed road bike, with geometry that is aimed at the enthusiast rider who engages in longer rides. Will be a lot quicker than the Trek and is lighter.
The Merida is maybe a fraction more aggressive than the Giant and like the Defy 3, is chock-full off mid-range components. Again, quicker than the Trek, a more aggressive riding position, and also lighter than the Trek.
The Spesh Tricross is a sort of Swiss Army knife bike, mainly a gravel/cyclocross bike but would also handle heavy-duty commuting on mixed surfaces, maybe even some light touring. Has room for wider tyres than either the Giant or the Merida, but has cantilever brakes which are bleagh.

Neither the Giant nor the Merida will enjoy going off the pavement much, which would suggest the Specialized or the Trek. But neither of those will be as quick on-road as the Giant or Merida....
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Nammo22

Postby Nammo22 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:21 am

Thank you so much for all that information! Basically, I'm looking to start frequent 1- 4 hour rides (mostly about 1 - 2 hours), with mostly flat paths, but a decent amount of platforms and some mild terrain (gravel, grass, small rocks, and branches) just to get between places. From the information you've given me, I'd agree to probably stick with either the Trek of Specialized. Any ideas on prices, would those be reasonable? And am I right in going for a used bike as opposed to a new one? Thank you!

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:54 pm

Nammo22 wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:21 am
Thank you so much for all that information! Basically, I'm looking to start frequent 1- 4 hour rides (mostly about 1 - 2 hours), with mostly flat paths, but a decent amount of platforms and some mild terrain (gravel, grass, small rocks, and branches) just to get between places. From the information you've given me, I'd agree to probably stick with either the Trek of Specialized. Any ideas on prices, would those be reasonable? And am I right in going for a used bike as opposed to a new one? Thank you!
New bikes are very thin on the ground at the moment, so yep used bikes are the way to go. Unfortunately, used bikes are commanding a bit of a premium at the moment, but it is what it is..

An alloy Trek Fx shouldn't be any more than $300-$400 for recent models, less for lower-spec or older units. Best to look at the 8sp and 9sp models for max bang-for-currency. The Trek Fx2 is 8sp, so spot on.

The Spesh TriCross is not a common sighting, so determining an acceptable price is really difficult. Given that the RRP 11 years ago was in and around the $1300 mark I would suggest $850 is delusional. More like $400 to maybe $450-ish if it's like new.

I'd plump for the Trek or something similar, fit some appropriate tough tyres and go from there. Although 4 hours on a Trek Fx may be a bit excessive from a comfort/aero/speed perspective.
There are other options, and if you were able to find a Giant ToughRoad or something along those lines, that might be worth looking at.
An altogether better, more capable package than that Specialized TriCross just by virtue of disc brakes and modern drivetrain. However a used recent Giant ToughRoad will definitely cost more than $400...

There are other options amongst the new genre known as Gravel bikes. Not as aggressive as Cyclocross bikes, don't necessarily have the same issue with a higher BB shell or tighter geometry.

In many ways, gravel bikes are similar to endurance bikes but with clearance for a much bigger tyre (35mm +/-) versus modern endurance bikes (28mm +/-).

Nammo22

Postby Nammo22 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:11 am

Ok, that makes a lot more sense! Thank you so much for all your help. I've just found a Bianchi Zurigo 2013 in good condition for a good price. It's a cyclocross bike, which may be more aggressive than what I need (as you mentioned, a gravel bike would probably be more suited, however, I'm just going with what I have found), but it seems like a good all-rounder bike. My only concern (only because someone else has mentioned it) would be the cantilever brakes - I personally don't mind if they're not the best brakes, as long as they're still safe. Any thoughts on this? Should I be concerned, or is it fine? Would I still be better off with something along the lines of the Trek fx2?

Mozziediver

Postby Mozziediver » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:00 pm

Cantilever brakes are, in my experience on the LHT, easy to maintain and work well if properly set up. This isn't hard, but it might be worth having a mechanic check them. If the pads are stock Shimano or Tektro, then changing these for some Koolstop pads gives you a great improvement.
Moz
------------
Surly LHT 2013, '74 Raleigh 20 folder updated, Focus Aventura2 ebike.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sun Dec 13, 2020 8:13 pm

As MozzieDiver mentioned, canti's can be set up to be ok but there are a few tricks to making this happen.

Firstly, make sure we're not starting out with cheap flexy garbage. If yours fit this description, swap them out for some current era Shimano cx70 or could even swap for some TRP CX 8.4 mini-V brakes which are compatible with your brake levers.

Second, if tuning yourself, will need a cable stretcher, aka 4th hand to get cable tension right.

Lastly, have a read of Sheldon Brown's guide to cantilever brakes which will help is setting up the brakes, especially with regard to saddle cable geometry.

But yes, as MozzieDiver mentioned, KoolStop pads make a significant difference. Not cheap, but worthwhile.