Sydney Harbour Bridge bicycle access saga

familyguy

Re: Sydney Harbour Bridge bicycle access saga

Postby familyguy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:34 pm
Isn't it also to slow cyclists down? I'm not claiming there's a general trend of cyclists to speed on these paths, by the way, but this is just the way some path designers seem to think: "Let's make it as inconvenient as possible for cyclists to use the path. Then they won't use it much, and we can then justify tearing it up, or not spending as much on maintenance".
The bend or the bottom 90°? Probably a bit of both. With the expenditure on this bridge, there's no way they could justify taking it away again. It's far from a white elephant, but North Sydney has a habit of applying piecemeal infra then ranting at people not using it.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:40 pm

I am interested / suspicious as to how each of these options will interface with the roundabout. None of the pretty pictures deal with the practical aspect of how a ramp will interface with the real world.

Also the timing of this is BS. One day after the local council elections. Conveniently for Jilly Gibson, it means she never had to commit to anything during the campaign. Her previously vocal opposition to a ramp could easily be covered up during the campaign on account of needing to wait until this report was released. It should have been an awkward topic for her but she was able to dodge it all together.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:28 pm

tpcycle wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:39 pm
Why does the ramp need a bend in the middle of it? Why do designers always seem to insist on putting superfluous bends in the middle of bicycle paths? Certainly not to improve sight lines. I see it again and again.

Anyway I'll believe it when I see it.
It looks like the ramp would have cleared the awing of the station without problem - maybe they could just add about 200 speed bumps so aggressive nobody could possibly go faster than 10km/h without being shaken to death. :roll:

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:06 am

AndrewCowley wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:40 pm
I am interested / suspicious as to how each of these options will interface with the roundabout. None of the pretty pictures deal with the practical aspect of how a ramp will interface with the real world.

Also the timing of this is BS. One day after the local council elections. Conveniently for Jilly Gibson, it means she never had to commit to anything during the campaign. Her previously vocal opposition to a ramp could easily be covered up during the campaign on account of needing to wait until this report was released. It should have been an awkward topic for her but she was able to dodge it all together.
They dont land at the roundabout. They all land up Alfred St either opposite Glen/Cliff St or the church. There appears to be a separate job of the crossing there, then crossing at the roundabout, that links to Middlemiss with the salmon lane. I saw it yesterday but can't find the link now...
EDIT: found it.
https://caportal.com.au/tfnsw/sydney-ha ... e-cycleway
https://caportal.com.au/tfnsw/sydney-ha ... cleway/map

Convoluted AF.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm

tpcycle wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:14 pm
39x25 wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:13 am
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/sta ... 58ivw.html

Dare We hope? Some progress?
My guess is it's just another delaying tactic and will result in a waste of money and more mothballed plans.

I like how the Lord Mayor of North Sydney says this is what she wanted all along - do these people have no shame?
No, not a delaying tactic. It appears this is definitely happening. Can't say more, as it is privileged.

And no, Jilly absolutely doesn't have any shame. Very manipulative and has a track record for bullying staff. She just hates cyclists. She shut down the shared use path from Blues Point Road to Mackenzie St through St Peters Park, hijacking a meeting that was supposed to be about budgeting for improvements.

More recently, she to tried to kill off the shared use path on Pacific Highway between Arthur St and Blue St, and force riders onto the Lavender St/Miller St traffic sewer until Carolyn New from Bike North got TfNSW involved and raised other procedural objections. Council now needs to follow due process and consult, and it looks like it may force some improvements.

In the meeting at which she tried this on, she was going to go after the Active Travel officer until one of the staff shut her down, telling her it was not appropriate.

Is she still mayor? I think she got rolled at the election. If so, that makes me very, very happy.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:51 pm
Is she still mayor? I think she got rolled at the election. If so, that makes me very, very happy.
She will get onto council on votes and prefs. Remains to be seen who the elected councillors vote as mayor. Unsure how the system works as far as voting for a 5-candidate ticket v indiviudals onto council for North Sydney. Maybe someone can sift this and enlighten us?

https://vtr.elections.nsw.gov.au/LG2101 ... councillor

And thanks for the work behind the scenes on this ramp!

Jim

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 08, 2021 2:04 pm

trailgumby wrote:
In the meeting at which she tried this on, she was going to go after the Active Travel officer until one of the staff shut her down, telling her it was not appropriate.
These bullying people are a disgrace. :x

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Dec 08, 2021 3:35 pm

familyguy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:59 pm
trailgumby wrote:
She will get onto council on votes and prefs. Remains to be seen who the elected councillors vote as mayor. Unsure how the system works as far as voting for a 5-candidate ticket v indiviudals onto council for North Sydney. Maybe someone can sift this and enlighten us?

And thanks for the work behind the scenes on this ramp!

Jim
If you look at the quota ratio - anyone with more than 0.75 of a quota is likely to be elected by the time preferences are counted. 5 seats means a quota is 20%. Most likely outcome looks like Gibson + 1, 2 ALP, 4 other independents with 2 seats up for grabs - Gibson might pick up 1 extra supporter, seems unlikely to get 2. -

The last 2 seats are likely to resemble the Senate elections where the final candidate only gets 0.4 of a quota

Looks like a fairly divided council so election of mayor will be a lottery.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:12 pm

I read today that your path is being built and the design is in. Your Jilly Gibson is outraged.
The community is disappointed," Councillor Gibson said.

"There's going to be mass destruction of the park.

"Milsons Point is bereft of parkland... it will be a devastating loss to this local community when all the trees are bulldozed."
How many trees are going to go? I had a google and it looks like maybe 10? at the start of the ramp.

tpcycle

Postby tpcycle » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:47 pm

fat and old wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:12 pm
I read today that your path is being built and the design is in. Your Jilly Gibson is outraged.

"Milsons Point is bereft of parkland... it will be a devastating loss to this local community when all the trees are bulldozed."
How many trees are going to go? I had a google and it looks like maybe 10? at the start of the ramp.
How many trees and green space has/are being destroyed for the Warringah tunnel? At least she got the current bike path there destroyed. Oh that's right it's only temporary. Yeah right.

As to the Sydney Harbor Bridge path - look at today's date. Like other NSW govt cycling announcements, I'll believe it when I see it. Apart from their announcements to rip up cycle paths which I have no doubt they'll always deliver on.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:01 pm

fat and old wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:12 pm

First up they are not endemic trees that are/ can be found around the harbour foreshores or even across the wilder parts of North Sydney, next North Sydney Council are shockers for pulling down any tree that as some age/ height just in case it drops a limb and causes damage to houses or power lines, thirdly Jilly Gibson is a now a nobody who when the Mayor has delayed this project for so long that "many" people have just stopped cycling due to the shocking bike infa in the council area - I put her up on par with Duncan Gay in the worst anti biking offenders in NSW for the past 30 years ( if not longer)

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:50 pm

Work to start on $39m Harbour Bridge ramp, but cyclists face long wait
Report from SMH, https://amp.smh.com.au/national/nsw/wor ... 5fa2u.html

Might be ready after 2026/27 with usual delays in opening or bickering.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm

Bunged Knee wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:50 pm

39 million?????

Jee I’m getting old. I can remember freeways costing less.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:41 pm

fat and old wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm
Bunged Knee wrote:

39 million?????

Freeways

Sydney M8 project cost $4.3 billion, so the cycleway ramp seems good value in comparison.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:23 pm

This piece of abject stupidity cost the same back in 2014.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-09-17/ ... ed/6783460

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:41 pm

Sydney M8 project cost $4.3 billion, so the cycleway ramp seems good value in comparison.
And, if recall the RAC WA report (c. 2015) correctly, bicycle infrastructure has a payback ratio in the middle single digits. Whereas freeways generally need “massaging” just to break even.

That’s probably worse now, once the impact of particulates and NOx is factored in. Nevermind obesity related illness and death ( the Dutch claim some impressive numbers that they attribute to their cycling infrastructure and culture)
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Thu Mar 07, 2024 4:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:41 pm
fat and old wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:03 pm
Bunged Knee wrote:

39 million?????

Freeways

Our new North East link here in Melb is going at $26 billion ....atm. I've made damn sure to rort as much as I can during the pre-works!

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:27 pm

wasn't it only a couple of weeks ago that talk show radio and some press articles recycled opponents press release claims that it would be $100m cost to benefit 650 cyclists...

https://northsydneysun.com.au/community ... bike-ramp/

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:41 pm

I want to email him, but won't. It will only make him more angry as he'll think he's relevant and has an opinion that counts.

Get to building, I want to ride it and deliver the customary salute to the locals.