the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Mr Purple

Re: the Crazy eDevice rider thread

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 20, 2024 1:17 pm

elantra wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:24 am
Lots of detrimental consequences have resulted from the introduction of under-regulated E-mobility devices.
Is there any Official plan to counter these consequences (such as by regulating them !)

Don’t hold your breath waiting.

Perhaps if it is pointed out that Brisbane might look like the “Wild West” for the 2032 Olympics, the Government may start to think about it.
I've said it before here and I'll say it again. Regulation of the extreme e-scooters we see regularly isn't going to happen on any logical grounds or because us cyclists don't enjoy getting buzzed at 80km/hr on the bikeways.

Regulation is going to happen here due to a public backlash when there's an entirely avoidable death of an innocent bystander caused by one of these morons. I can only imagine it will be the archetypal high powered e-scooter rider (many tattoos, few teeth) ploughing into a crowd of people at 80km/hr+ in a pedestrian only area while high on methamphetamine and serving a licence suspension. When this happens, and it will, the completely over the top government reaction will be to immediately ban anything vaguely scooter shaped.

This is why sensible e-device users should be advocating moderation. Because it's the actions of the extremist users that are going to get their whole mode of transport eventually banned. I'm getting a little sick of the overly entitled users saying things like 'but bikes are able to ride over 25km/hr, why can't we?' You're allowed to mate. You just might have to put in a little effort. The problem seems to come when they start disobeying the law slightly, the next step is completely disregarding the law entirely and all of a sudden we have dingbats cruising around everywhere at 50km/hr+.

I sincerely doubt many e-bike/e-scooter riders have been done for any speed under about 40km/hr yet.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:10 pm

This Raptor ?

https://bikescootercity.com.au/products ... ic-scooter

A totally illegal device that should only be used on public property (at least in Qld) as far as I can tell - dual motor, 3200W, 62km/h

And THAT is the problem. People can walk in off the street and buy one of these to give to their 14yo kid to tear around on.
Last edited by Andy01 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:41 pm

That’s the silly thing. That device is perfectly legal to use in Queensland - as long as you stay under 25km/hr, on bikeways and footpaths and roads with marked bike lanes and speed limits under 50km/hr.

3200W is fine and perfectly safe under the PMD laws. But a 300W e-bike is completely illegal.

Bizarre stuff.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:44 pm

My bad. I thought that devices that could exceed 25km/h were illegal. Maybe it is NSW or Vic that the private scooters are illegal ?

It was one like this (different brand but also dual motor, dual suspension, 3kW & 60+km/h) that took me out on a shared path - piloted by a 14yo (illegal) doing over 20km/h (illegal) on the wrong side of the path (illegal) around a blind corner.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:00 pm

Andy01 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:44 pm
My bad. I thought that devices that could exceed 25km/h were illegal. Maybe it is NSW or Vic that the private scooters are illegal ?

It was one like this (different brand but also dual motor, dual suspension, 3kW & 60+km/h) that took me out on a shared path - piloted by a 14yo (illegal) doing over 20km/h (illegal) on the wrong side of the path (illegal) around a blind corner.
WA has the best rules where they limit device weight to 25kgs. Easy to police with some fishing scales. The low weight means they can't do, or sustain, the high speed

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:06 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:00 pm
WA has the best rules where they limit device weight to 25kgs. Easy to police with some fishing scales. The low weight means they can't do, or sustain, the high speed
Until battery technology improves. Heaps of gains to be made with weight there.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:43 pm

Article from today:

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/o ... school-run

Better an electric bike or resort to a car for the school run.
I really should take up cycling!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:14 am

Scott No Mates wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:43 pm
Article from today:

Hah !!
She was fined for four offences: using an unregistered Class A motor vehicle on the road ($772); using an uninsured motor vehicle on the road ($772); operating a vehicle without a licence ($644); and riding a motorbike with a passenger under eight years old not in a sidecar ($387).
The highlighted one is the only obscure one imho.

Oh, and the comments quickly deteriorate into hating cops and even Chines racial slurs come into it ..... :roll:

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am

Andy01 wrote:

Private scooters are legal in Victoria, that having been ratified on 5th March 2023 at the conclusion of the first e-scooter trial in Melbourne and Ballarat.

It is not illegal to ride a high powered e-scooter if its maximum speed is capped at 22 to 24km/h (1st, and only gear, out of typically 3) — the variation being whether single- or dual-motor drive is operating. It sounds anomalous and counter to commonsense, but that is how it is presently.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:15 am

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:43 am
Andy01 wrote:

Private scooters are legal in Victoria, that having been ratified on 5th March 2023 at the conclusion of the first e-scooter trial in Melbourne and Ballarat.

It is not illegal to ride a high powered e-scooter if its maximum speed is capped at 22 to 24km/h (1st, and only gear, out of typically 3) — the variation being whether single- or dual-motor drive is operating. It sounds anomalous and counter to commonsense, but that is how it is presently.
I feel sorry for victorian cyclists using bike lanes and shared paths. welcome to the pain we sadly continue to experience.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:03 pm

Scott No Mates wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:43 pm
Article from today:

This is a photo of the bike in question.

Despite the pretend pedals on there (clearly for show and 'legality' reasons) that's a motorbike. Having said that it does resemble an actual e-bike more than a lot of the ones I see up here, which are essentially the same thing without pedals.

What's to bet it's also 500W+, she was doing 50km/hr (probably including the footpath) and it's got throttle control. I can see part of the fine was that she doesn't have a driver's licence either, so copped the full lot for riding an unregistered motorbike while unlicenced. Should be more of it.

WyvernRH

Postby WyvernRH » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:46 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:14 am

'She was fined for <snip>and riding a motorbike with a passenger under eight years old not in a sidecar ($387).'

Not obscure if you are a motorcyclist, you can't carry a young child as a pillion passenger (in NSW anyway). But this is on a 'Car' site so just ignorance maybe? :P

Really, as mentioned above, that thing is an electric moped/motorbike and should be registered and insured as such to cope with consequences of 'mishaps' to other folk. Also, appropriate safety equipment worn (helmet/gloves) cos it's still gonna hurt when you hit the ground....

Great idea to take the kid to school on an e-bike, just use a legal one. Not hard surely, I've seen several parents porting kids to school on e-powered 'Long John' or carrier bikes in Newcastle.

Richard

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:01 pm

Meanwhile in Melbourne RIP

"Wednesday 21 February 2024 5:06am
Sadly a man has died after crashing his electric unicycle in Bellfield yesterday evening.

Police have been told the man was riding along Darebin Creek Trail, in the vicinity of Wimpole Crescent, when he appeared to lose control just after 5pm.

It is believed the rider, who may have been traveling at speed, crossed onto the wrong side of the trail and lost control while trying to avoid two cyclists travelling in the opposite direction.

The rider was ejected from his unicycle and crashed into a guardrail.

The 35-year-old Heidelberg Heights man, died at the scene."

source Victoria Police news - no link as disappears in around 10days

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:24 pm

WyvernRH wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:46 pm
MichaelB wrote:

'She was fined for <snip>and riding a motorbike with a passenger under eight years old not in a sidecar ($387).'

Not obscure if you are a motorcyclist, you can't carry a young child as a pillion passenger (in NSW anyway). ...
A motorcyclist in past, but no idea if this is the same law in SA ?

And it is ... (the same) ! Well I'll be

https://mylicence.sa.gov.au/road-rules/ ... s%20moving

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Indeed.

antigee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:01 pm
...electric unicycle...
Surely one of the most epic misnomers in the history of epic misnomers. More than a few of the news articles showing up via search show an actual unicycle, though. They aren't unicycles, they are powered single wheel scooters. There is a guy who regularly does Lane Cove National Park. Gets his Onewheel unicycle (sometimes a Onewheel skateboard) out of the car at the bottom gate, does a few ups and downs, then goes home.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:56 pm

familyguy wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:29 pm
Indeed.

antigee wrote:
...electric unicycle...
Surely one of the most epic misnomers in the history of epic misnomers. More than a few of the news articles showing up via search show an actual unicycle, though. They aren't unicycles, they are powered single wheel scooters. There is a guy who regularly does Lane Cove National Park. Gets his Onewheel unicycle (sometimes a Onewheel skateboard) out of the car at the bottom gate, does a few ups and downs, then goes home.
Sounds like a Segway Ninebot Z10... there are many others, and it is not hard to roll-your-own.
Not the best choice for carting home the weekly shop — at least not as easy and with a scooter! :lol:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Panzer04

Postby Panzer04 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:07 pm

familyguy wrote:
Indeed.

antigee wrote:
...electric unicycle...
Not really. The principle of operation is very similar to a manual unicycle, except for the electrical control of the forward/back wheel balance.

In practice, though, they get used rather differently as commuting vehicles and the like.

The incident in question is tragic - I was an acquaintance with the man, and he was a great guy who was relatively well known in the EUC (electric unicycle) community. It appears to be though that he was going at a speed beyond what is safe for the path he was on :( - though there aren't many detaills.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:16 pm

Panzer04 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:07 pm
familyguy wrote:
Indeed.

antigee wrote:
...electric unicycle...
Not really. The principle of operation is very similar to a manual unicycle, except for the electrical control of the forward/back wheel balance.

In practice, though, they get used rather differently as commuting vehicles and the like.

The incident in question is tragic - I was an acquaintance with the man, and he was a great guy who was relatively well known in the EUC (electric unicycle) community. It appears to be though that he was going at a speed beyond what is safe for the path he was on :( - though there aren't many detaills.
Fair, if you're talking language definition, they are a unicycle. The applications of the gyro tech within those to the area of wheelchairs and powered devices is expanding too. Things like Omeo and Gyrolift among others. Powered chairs with only two wheels are a game changer for spatial maneuverability.

Sorry to hear of your friend.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:41 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:24 pm
WyvernRH wrote:
MichaelB wrote:

Not obscure if you are a motorcyclist, you can't carry a young child as a pillion passenger (in NSW anyway). ...

Used to be they were OK if their feet could touch the pillion pegs but that seems to ahve been changed to an age limit.

I guess cos sports bikes have high pillion pegs nowadays!

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:08 pm

zebee wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:41 pm
MichaelB wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:24 pm
WyvernRH wrote:

Used to be they were OK if their feet could touch the pillion pegs but that seems to ahve been changed to an age limit.

I guess cos sports bikes have high pillion pegs nowadays!
That's a bit counterintuitive, because it's a lot easier for the police to verify the kids can rest their feet on the pillion pegs than it is for them to verify the kids' ages.

hunch

Postby hunch » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:09 am

With the no peddle e bikes being rife in this area, the local newsletter this week was a bit of a hoot -

"some local old-timers have been horrified at the antics of the young ones running or riding their e bikes around in a shocking state of undress causing mayhem and on one occasion requiring the riot squad to attend"

I think that refers to the popular G banger style of bikini bottom that outraged the bloke up on the gold coast recently. One woman did describe it as unsanitary, if sitting on a park bench after buttocks had shared it a couple of years ago, she might have been ex CWA. :lol:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 pm

I get a bit of spam in my Facebook feed from sellers of completely illegal e-bikes.

This one caught my eye so I read the comments - 16inch, 36km/hr, no pedals , 500W and clearly aimed at kids.

https://ampdbros.com.au/products/lil-ri ... ctric-bike

Someone pointed out it was completely illegal anywhere in public in Australia and the seller’s quoting the Queensland PMD laws and are stating it’s fine. Yeah, except the whole ‘no under 12’s, or under 16’s without supervision’ thing.

What sort of idiot puts their 8-10 year old in a 500W electric motorbike in public?

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:48 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 pm

What sort of idiot puts their 8-10 year old in a 500W electric motorbike in public?
An idiot who also votes and drives

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:55 pm

Eh. Don't ask when some kids start riding motos. I was riding 80cc trail bikes when I was 8 which was a lot heavier and had a lot more power than a 36kph/500w mini fat bike :P Even the most basic off road motorbike that nearly every kid from 3-7 starts on has more power than that. The legendary PW50! https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/product ... d/fun/pw50

FYI you can legally start competitive motorbike racing in Queensland when you are 7 years old (club to national level). 4-6 its recreational only however they are permitted to attend practice days/testing/coaching sessions.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:00 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:53 pm

The type that has a 1000kw one so that they can keep up with the kid.