Bikes in the Media

find_bruce

Re: Bikes in the Media

Postby find_bruce » Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:26 pm

In the Guardian Why is the right at war with cyclists? We’re not ‘wokerati’ – we’re just trying to get around

I particularly liked this quote
Wherever cyclists do cohere as a group, it’s for one of three purposes: to watch other, better cyclists; to go on a bike ride together; or to argue for infrastructure that makes it easier to stay alive. The cycling lobby, such as it exists, has almost no interest in the passions of its enemies, preferring to ignore that a schism even exists.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am

nezumi wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:40 pm
Not entirely in "the media", but the discourse around the Snowy Classic on the Jindabyne Facebook pages this year has been surprisingly light. The usual vitriol that is expressed at cyclists for daring to ride a tourism focused event is notably absent this year.
Normally from locals? Maybe they are realising they won't have a ski season to bring in money soon and will need other forms of tourism.

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Cycling Wombat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:02 am
nezumi wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:40 pm
Not entirely in "the media", but the discourse around the Snowy Classic on the Jindabyne Facebook pages this year has been surprisingly light. The usual vitriol that is expressed at cyclists for daring to ride a tourism focused event is notably absent this year.
Normally from locals? Maybe they are realising they won't have a ski season to bring in money soon and will need other forms of tourism.
Pretty hypocritical of them if that's the case. They vilify cyclists when they don't really need their money, then play nice when they do.

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:06 am

Usually what the media does. Glorify the sports cyclists when they win for Australia but demonise everyday cyclists for existing.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:23 pm

not a headline I'd expect to see:

"Singapore's former transport minister S Iswaran faces eight new charges in corruption case, including improperly receiving a Brompton bicycle"

.....Mr Iswaran is accused of receiving a UK-made Brompton bicycle in 2022, despite a ban on ministers receiving improper gifts.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-26/ ... /103632388

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:14 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:26 pm
In the Guardian Why is the right at war with cyclists? We’re not ‘wokerati’ – we’re just trying to get around

I particularly liked this quote
Wherever cyclists do cohere as a group, it’s for one of three purposes: to watch other, better cyclists; to go on a bike ride together; or to argue for infrastructure that makes it easier to stay alive. The cycling lobby, such as it exists, has almost no interest in the passions of its enemies, preferring to ignore that a schism even exists.
This whole left and right and woke this woke that just annoys me. Just leave me be and let me ride in peace.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:12 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:14 pm
This whole left and right and woke this woke that just annoys me. Just leave me be and let me ride in peace.
Except they won’t. Out groups are required to define “us” ( as opposed to “them”, who are, by definition undesirable and mostly criminal).

Cyclists, both MAMILs and those using bicycles for transport are easy targets for the shock jocks and the Murdoch-style “press”.

As they say: do politics before politics does you.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:43 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:12 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Except they won’t. Out groups are required to define “us” ( as opposed to “them”, who are, by definition undesirable and mostly criminal).

Cyclists, both MAMILs and those using bicycles for transport are easy targets for the shock jocks and the Murdoch-style “press”.

I just don’t watch TV at all, ever, nor do I read newspapers. That’s how I switch off to them.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:27 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:12 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Yep and for the Murdoch press and much of the right, those who use bicycle for transport or enjoyment, rather than their car, are clearly "woke" for doing so.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:58 am

And today there is plenty of BS posts in the media on bikes, like removing bike lanes to make for car parking etc. Don’t these journos learn that you can’t just rehash the same old crap every 1 April?

I won’t link the articles otherwise I’d be giving them clicks and ad revenue.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:36 pm

Cyclists now outnumber motorists in Paris

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonrei ... henews.com