Bikes in the Media

g-boaf

Re: Bikes in the Media

Postby g-boaf » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:33 pm

Howzat wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 1:01 pm
Her point is cyclists are the problem.

Which cyclists? A bunch of imaginary bad cyclists.

It’s well-tried rhetorical ploy “It’s not that I don’t like [insert group here], it’s just the bad ones”.

She’s not advocating for better infrastructure either. The article she had a “visceral response” to did that.
What about the bad pedestrians, can we do a return article that is exactly same format, just on pedestrians instead? What is she doing about the bully pedestrians who want claim complete ownership of the middle of paths and abuse others who want to use the path?

Oh yes, I can be critical of them because I'm a pedestrian myself so nobody can complain. But it all just gets a bit silly and we end up with backwards infrastructure because of these rants.

It's all about stirring controversy to sell more newspapers and get more subscribers. No, I don't have an SMH subscription. And no, I won't be getting one.
redsonic wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:48 pm
we cyclists have to
Doesn't apply to me. I'm extremely cautious around pedestrians - I have to be, I can't afford to take any chance with them given my injuries previously. And given I'm a pedestrian as well, I have the right to call out pedestrians who do the wrong thing.

In my area we don't really have the spats and disputes between riders and pedestrians for the most part. Everyone usually gets along.
Last edited by g-boaf on Sat Feb 17, 2024 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 2:57 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:27 am
Today's SMH. She's not even a journalist - she is a corporate spin doctor who worked on PWC's damage control campaign, and also for Ben Roberts-Thompson during his trial

I just read this full article and I reckon she's pretty much spot on with her observations. I've witnessed it many times myself while riding in the City (Sydney) and Centennial Park but more as a Pedestrian and in Centennial Park riding, I wouldn't call it spin doctoring just because it's about some cyclists.
And what kind of adults are they anyway riding along in a public park using obscene words to children...not called for, they are as entitled to use Centennial park as anyone is.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 5:41 pm

I am lucky I guess. Largely, I can ride away from areas where there are pedestrians, so I do.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:40 pm

I avoid shared paths like the plague. What drives me crazy is the pedestrians who insist on using the bike path. Want to use the bike path? Get on a bike!

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:36 am

Man charged after teenage boy injured in inner west hit-and-run

A 22-year-old man has been charged after a suspected hit-and-run in Sydney’s inner west left a 13-year-old boy with serious injuries, with police claiming the driver of the white Audi hatch failed to stop and help.

Emergency services were called to Leichhardt about 8.30pm on Friday, arriving at the intersection of Reuss and Excelsior Streets to find the boy had been hit by a car while riding a bike.

The vehicle involved continued along Reuss Street, failing to stop and help, eyewitnesses told police.

The seriously injured teenager was treated by paramedics who then took him to the Sydney Children’s Hospital at Randwick in a serious but stable condition. As of Saturday evening, the boy is expected to make a full recovery.

A crime scene was established nearby Marr Reserve, and an investigation into the crash has begun.

Chief Inspector Darrin Laing from Leichhardt Police Area Command said the boy was riding with a friend when he was struck by a car.

The car was last seen fleeing the scene at high speed before making a right hand turn into Elswick Street at Leichhardt, Laing said.

“If you’re involved in an accident, the obligations upon you are to stop,” he said. “Especially if you’ve hit a pedestrian, especially a child, a young child on a bike, your conscience would tell you to stop and render any assistance that you can.”

On Saturday afternoon, police confirmed a 22-year-old man presented himself into Newtown Police Station about 1.30pm.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:39 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:36 am
Man charged after teenage boy injured in inner west hit-and-run

A 22-year-old man has been charged after a suspected hit-and-run in Sydney’s inner west left a 13-year-old boy with serious injuries, with police claiming the driver of the white Audi hatch failed to stop and help.

Emergency services were called to Leichhardt about 8.30pm on Friday, arriving at the intersection of Reuss and Excelsior Streets to find the boy had been hit by a car while riding a bike.

The vehicle involved continued along Reuss Street, failing to stop and help, eyewitnesses told police.

The seriously injured teenager was treated by paramedics who then took him to the Sydney Children’s Hospital at Randwick in a serious but stable condition. As of Saturday evening, the boy is expected to make a full recovery.

A crime scene was established nearby Marr Reserve, and an investigation into the crash has begun.

Chief Inspector Darrin Laing from Leichhardt Police Area Command said the boy was riding with a friend when he was struck by a car.

The car was last seen fleeing the scene at high speed before making a right hand turn into Elswick Street at Leichhardt, Laing said.

“If you’re involved in an accident, the obligations upon you are to stop,” he said. “Especially if you’ve hit a pedestrian, especially a child, a young child on a bike, your conscience would tell you to stop and render any assistance that you can.”

On Saturday afternoon, police confirmed a 22-year-old man presented himself into Newtown Police Station about 1.30pm.
Unless the driver was drunk/drugged, he would have been far better off to stop. A simple "I didn't see him" at 8:30 at night would likely have seen him walk away with no charges.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:30 pm

The Brisbane City Council elections are on and the LNP decided to mock the Greens mayoral candidate Jonathan Sri by making up an animation of him riding his bike down the street.

He's pro bike infrastructure and public transport. So he's just claimed it and rolled with it. Top work.

https://fb.watch/qitmD5IKFM/

Pretty sad that apparently a good smear tactic is to show your opponent riding a bicycle. Especially when he's so happy to be shown doing it himself.

Don't agree with all their policies but I'll be voting Greens at a local council level simply because our local LNP incumbent literally doesn't give a f&$# about bicycles. As reflected by the shoddy quality of the infrastructure in our area. I had the misfortune of standing next to her at a function when someone came up and complained about this and her complete lack of care and eye rolling (I don't think she realised I was also a cyclist) was enlightening.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:46 pm

An ugly smear display indeed! :evil:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:16 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 1:30 pm
The Brisbane City Council elections are on and the LNP decided to mock the Greens mayoral candidate Jonathan Sri by making up an animation of him riding his bike down the street.

He's pro bike infrastructure and public transport. So he's just claimed it and rolled with it. Top work.

https://fb.watch/qitmD5IKFM/

Pretty sad that apparently a good smear tactic is to show your opponent riding a bicycle. Especially when he's so happy to be shown doing it himself.

Don't agree with all their policies but I'll be voting Greens at a local council level simply because our local LNP incumbent literally doesn't give a f&$# about bicycles. As reflected by the shoddy quality of the infrastructure in our area. I had the misfortune of standing next to her at a function when someone came up and complained about this and her complete lack of care and eye rolling (I don't think she realised I was also a cyclist) was enlightening.
LOL what a classic backfire (by the local LNP)

The Greens dude has become an instant cult hero courtesy of an extraordinarily silly attempt at character assassination by his political opponents

Besides, recent weather history is on his side - after a very disturbing summer with screwed-up weather all over Australia, people will be inclined to listen to some of their policies.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:43 pm

They're in a bit of trouble here, the LNP.

Our local member just barely scraped in last time and I think it'll be closer this time. And yes, Greens were second.

I think you're right. There's only so many floods/heatwaves/storms and otherwise weird and unseasonal weather you can put up with before you start looking for a solution. Not sure the Greens are the solution but can see why people do.

On a local government level at least they make a great deal more sense. And actually seem to care about local issues. Which is unusual.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:45 pm

He might ride a bicycle but that is where his credibility / competence ends.

He is the same moron who (from memory) glued himself to a road in rush hour (and stopped Brisbane's already shocking traffic) as part of one of the protests. I think he has been arrested at least once.

I think he was also proposing that people in large houses that were not fully utilised and people with holiday homes etc should be charged something like a 20 times council rates penalty because they are not fully utilising their buildings.

Complete moron IMO.

The LNP has been using those cartoons to mock their opponents for some time now (including our ex-premier). Not saying that I agree with them mocking cyclists, but dear Jonathon deserves to be mocked - God help us if he becomes mayor.

Unfortunately a politician (or anyone for that matter) needs to be more than a cyclist to be able to do a decent job. I have a suspicion that our previous transport minister was a cyclist and he was a hopelessly incompetent moron who had massive blow-outs on almost every project in his department and then tried to cover it up - happy to be corrected. And he didn't do a damn thing to improve things for cyclists in Qld.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:48 pm

In the interests of non political Postings, I've decided to delete my previous post about the Greens things.....so sorry....I just get a little stirred up with some of the woke left agendas playing out in this country....that is all. :P

brumby33
Last edited by brumby33 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:33 pm

Sorry Brumby.
Last edited by warthog1 on Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:39 pm

Please, no politics. :(

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:58 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:33 pm
^^spot the newscorp reader
I haven't read any crap from News Corp for many years, firstly i haven't bought a Newspaper for at least 2 years and that was a local regional one and secondly I can't get into any of the above website because i choose not to subscribe....oh it's a common assumption is it that if I have an opinion, i get it from News Corb...No I don't. :x
g-boaf wrote:Please, no politics. :(
Sorry g-boaf ......Unfortunately, our lives in every aspect are affected by Political decisions whether we like it or not.

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:26 am

brumby33 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:58 pm
warthog1 wrote:
I haven't read any crap from News Corp for many years, firstly i haven't bought a Newspaper for at least 2 years and that was a local regional one and secondly I can't get into any of the above website because i choose not to subscribe....oh it's a common assumption is it that if I have an opinion, i get it from News Corb...No I don't. :x
Sorry g-boaf ......Unfortunately, our lives in every aspect are affected by Political decisions whether we like it or not.
It read exactly like the right wing Newscorp garbage. I don't read it and don't come here to read it. :x
I try to avoid it.
It used to be that political discussion was banned on here. I just read the forum rules again and didn't see that it was any longer.
Oh well less reason to be here if politics is its future.

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:10 am

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:26 am
brumby33 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:58 pm
warthog1 wrote:
It read exactly like the right wing Newscorp garbage. I don't read it and don't come here to read it. :x
I try to avoid it.
It used to be that political discussion was banned on here. I just read the forum rules again and didn't see that it was any longer.
Oh well less reason to be here if politics is its future.
Newscorp's clickbait-laden site is geared heavily toward attracting women as its prime audience. Salacious, trumped-up gossip, hookups, dropouts, shams and shameless promos of "influencers", the latest and greatest g-string bikinis framed by buns bigger than the bells of St Pauls...all manner of irrelevant, wowser garbage. They cannot even report on serious news items properly like last week's storm damage to power infrastructure! All said and done, it's best to put a block on the news.com.au site so your time isn't wasted with repetitious puerile rubbish.
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:34 am

Ok fair enough.....read the room and edited (deleted) my rantings.....so sorry....what i wrote is now goneski!! :)

VWR Patagonia 2017

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:39 am

brumby33 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:34 am
Ok fair enough.....read the room and edited (deleted) my rantings.....so sorry....what i wrote is now goneski!! :)
You are a better man than I Brumby. Thankyou and sorry for my whinging.

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:25 pm

warthog1 wrote:
I just read the forum rules again and didn't see that it was any longer.
https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/view ... hp?t=18364

The following topics / content does not belong in this forum:
• Religion / Sexuality / Sex / Politics / Race & Ethnicity

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:51 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:25 pm
warthog1 wrote:
I just read the forum rules again and didn't see that it was any longer.
https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/view ... hp?t=18364

The following topics / content does not belong in this forum:
• Religion / Sexuality / Sex / Politics / Race & Ethnicity
Thanks. :)
I read this; https://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/ucp.php?mode=terms

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:36 pm

Thanks ladies and gentlemen.

It is a tough call at times - beyond healthy discourse focus on things that draw us together is better
Cycling is in my BNA

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:49 pm

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:14 am

Will they ban players from riding bicycles next? :roll:

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:40 pm

Not entirely in "the media", but the discourse around the Snowy Classic on the Jindabyne Facebook pages this year has been surprisingly light. The usual vitriol that is expressed at cyclists for daring to ride a tourism focused event is notably absent this year.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000