Gravel tyres

MichaelB

Re: Gravel tyres

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:11 pm

Right, so for those that are in the know, I'm preparing for the EoL of the Challenge Bianca Pro's on my gravel bike. With potential sales coming up soon, I like to have a list of ready options available at the ready if they come up.

Based on some info from BRR, and glimpsing some of the feedback hear and also my personal preferences (roll well on Tarmac as well as hardpack gravel, have good wet weather grip, good puncture protection, and also afordable. Probably wont do much (if any) muddy riding, but damp days will happen.

The top 3 contenders are (in no real order) ;
- Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H 40mm,
- Tufo Thundero HD 40mm, and
- Panaracer Gravelking SS TLC 40 (normal or Plus)

Tell me where I am wrong or right please :D

It seems that the Thundero HD are hard to get, the non-HD versions are aplenty, but want the extra puncture protection.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 4:11 pm
Right, so for those that are in the know, I'm preparing for the EoL of the Challenge Bianca Pro's on my gravel bike. With potential sales coming up soon, I like to have a list of ready options available at the ready if they come up.

Based on some info from BRR, and glimpsing some of the feedback hear and also my personal preferences (roll well on Tarmac as well as hardpack gravel, have good wet weather grip, good puncture protection, and also afordable. Probably wont do much (if any) muddy riding, but damp days will happen.

The top 3 contenders are (in no real order) ;
- Pirelli Cinturato Gravel H 40mm,
- Tufo Thundero HD 40mm, and
- Panaracer Gravelking SS TLC 40 (normal or Plus)

Tell me where I am wrong or right please :D

It seems that the Thundero HD are hard to get, the non-HD versions are aplenty, but want the extra puncture protection.
My pick of those is the gravelking ss. Have used them all, just not the thundero HD.
I hope the HD is significantly than the glad wrap carcass on the regular thundero.
Currently using gravelking sk on the front and ss on the rear. Happy with that combo. A bit of extra grip on the looser stuff with the sk, as lose the front and you are often down. Working well with just the standard carcass.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 31, 2023 9:30 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:04 pm
My pick of those is the gravelking ss. Have used them all, just not the thundero HD.
I hope the HD is significantly than the glad wrap carcass on the regular thundero.
Currently using gravelking sk on the front and ss on the rear. Happy with that combo. A bit of extra grip on the looser stuff with the sk, as lose the front and you are often down. Working well with just the standard carcass.
Cheers - 1 vote for Panaracer GK SS :!:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 8:10 am

A bit of random googling re the tyre options, and it seems almost impossible to get the Thundero's in the HD version, the GravelKing SS in the Plus version are also hard to get, but the normal ones are easy to find, but price varies from A$68+ and haven't looked at the Pirelli too much.

Hmmmmm

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 am

My attitude with tyres is they ain't a long term proposition being a consumable.
Just give them a go.
The std tufo doesn't seem to have very good puncture resistance though. Plenty I know have used them. Nobody still does.
That is despite them apparently testing better on puncture resistance than panaracer on BRR. As a result I'm not too sure about the efficacy of that test.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:05 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 am
My attitude with tyres is they ain't a long term proposition being a consumable.
Just give them a go.
The std tufo doesn't seem to have very good puncture resistance though. Plenty I know have used them. Nobody still does.
That is despite them apparently testing better on puncture resistance than panaracer on BRR. As a result I'm not too sure about the efficacy of that test.
From what I can see in BRR Puncture Score - (Tread/Sidewall) - unless noted, 40mm width & 700C
Thundero HD - (40/32)
Thundero - (33/28)
GravelKing SS - (45/20)
Gravelking SS PLus - (70/34) - 35mm version
Pirelli Gravel H - (39/17)
Pirelli All Road - (80/23)
Conti Terra Trail - (35/28)
Conti Terra Speed - (37/15) - 45mm version

So Gravelking is MUCH better than either Thundero, so will take them off the list :D

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:43 pm

Been running Gravel King plus for a couple of years now with no problems...a big plus (in a different sense) is that they seem to grip really well on wet rocks and roots

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:06 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:05 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 9:35 am
Just give them a go.
From what I can see in BRR Puncture Score - (Tread/Sidewall) - unless noted, 40mm width & 700C
Thundero HD - (40/32)
Thundero - (33/28)
GravelKing SS - (45/20)
Gravelking SS PLus - (70/34) - 35mm version
Pirelli Gravel H - (39/17)
Pirelli All Road - (80/23)
Conti Terra Trail - (35/28)
Conti Terra Speed - (37/15) - 45mm version

So Gravelking is MUCH better than either Thundero, so will take them off the list :D
Fair enough, I read it wrong. :)
Cont terra speed I have in the tyre drawer but haven't used much yet. Wear very quickly from reviews I've seen.

Edit; I only have the free access to BRR. It just gives a total puncture score. Must've been gravelking SK I was looking at. Total puncture score of 28.
Tufo thundero and speedero both get a score of 33 :shock:
That is a crock of poo that those tufos are more puncture resistant than a gravelking sk.
Last edited by warthog1 on Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:07 pm

antigee wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:43 pm
Been running Gravel King plus for a couple of years now with no problems...a big plus (in a different sense) is that they seem to grip really well on wet rocks and roots
SK or SS?

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:49 pm

I don't think the 'rolling resistance' puncture test is particularly reliable. And that's fair - I imagine it's hard to design a test which actually translates to the real world.

Speaking of which I'm now 675km into my Specialized Pathfinder S-Works. No punctures, no appreciable sign of wear (which for me is saying something). Excellent grip, rolling well, and they've seen a wide variety of terrain as well including rocks and sand.

Very happy.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:45 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:49 pm
Speaking of which I'm now 675km into my Specialized Pathfinder S-Works. No punctures, no appreciable sign of wear (which for me is saying something). Excellent grip, rolling well, and they've seen a wide variety of terrain as well including rocks and sand.
You're brave. Rule of punctures is if you say you haven't got one then watch out!

I've had tonnes of punctures, please puncture gods spare me.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:10 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 2:45 pm
You're brave. Rule of punctures is if you say you haven't got one then watch out!
You can cancel this out by carrying absolutely everything you need to repair a puncture including a decent pump, plug kit, patches and spare tube.

As long as you don't forget all the tools, you'll never actually have a puncture when you're carrying them. Try rolling a few hundred metres down the road without them though, bang!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:58 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:06 pm
Edit; I only have the free access to BRR. It just gives a total puncture score. Must've been gravelking SK I was looking at. Total puncture score of 28.
Tufo thundero and speedero both get a score of 33 :shock:
That is a crock of poo that those tufos are more puncture resistant than a gravelking sk.
Yep, Gravelking SK has a rating of 28/22.

A quick wear rate isn't that much of a concern as I don't do that many pure Gravel km, maybe 1,000 a year-ish ?

The issue is that any dirt in riding distance from my place is steep and rocky, and is really medium MTB type up & down, and 30 - 50% road km to get there.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:59 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:06 pm
Cont terra speed I have in the tyre drawer but haven't used much yet. Wear very quickly from reviews I've seen.
Size and 'owmucharethey ?

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:56 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:07 pm
antigee wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:43 pm
SK or SS?
For grip in the wet can't tell them apart currently have SS on bike that I use on road and gravel and SK+ on bike that is used on 100%ish gravel and whatever I (mis)navigate onto...previously ran varieties of Swalbe that were great in the dry but scary in the wet, now hit wet sections and think "wow, great grip...relax"

With the SS if run into loose gravel at the edge when cornering then some tendency to slide out (33mm I think)
The SK+ and have used SK don't slide out as much but then again running 40/45mm

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 01, 2023 6:10 pm

antigee wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:56 pm

For grip in the wet can't tell them apart currently have SS on bike that I use on road and gravel and SK+ on bike that is used on 100%ish gravel and whatever I (mis)navigate onto...previously ran varieties of Swalbe that were great in the dry but scary in the wet, now hit wet sections and think "wow, great grip...relax"

With the SS if run into loose gravel at the edge when cornering then some tendency to slide out (33mm I think)
The SK+ and have used SK don't slide out as much but then again running 40/45mm
Mine are used purely on gravel. Yes the ss on the rear does slide a touch more on loose stuff as you enter the corner than the sk it replaced . It's ok though as it is on the back and can counter steer and get off the pedals. Have kept an sk on the front.

I ride for pleasure now and hate riding in the rain, so I don't.
Good to know they grip if I do strike it though. :)

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Nov 02, 2023 7:45 am

ImageEdit : Here are reviews from a local Adelaide guy who does do some riding on the very same dirt sections that I'd ride

https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-r ... yre-review

https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-r ... yre-review

https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-r ... 020-review

https://www.lavelocita.cc/la-velocita-r ... 8mm-review

They are a bit older, but quite relevant for me

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:29 am

Try em all. They will wear out.
Those pathfinder pros MrP uses sound worth a shot too.
A few running Schwalbe G one RS on the rear and G one R on the front, here A bit exxy though.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:29 am
Try em all. They will wear out.
Those pathfinder pros MrP uses sound worth a shot too.
A few running Schwalbe G one RS on the rear and G one R on the front, here A bit exxy though.
Yeah, I'd love that, but as I'd be struggling to wear out a set in a year, it'd be a long time between drinks !

Anyway, a trawl of farceberk Marketplace to see what bargains might be out there, and there were plenty, BUT, as usual, they are either skinny (36mm) or phat (50mm).

I'm sorta thinking that with some of the rockier trails around here and being a bulky wombat, the 40-45mm sizes would be better ?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:03 pm

45 would seem a good choice for you Michael, not being skinny pro tour type weight. ( or larger wombat :lol: )

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:08 pm

Honestly I've ridden gravel on tyres ranging between 38 and 45mm and can't tell the difference.

I think rolling resistance has more of an influence than tyre width.

Of course the wider ones have more weight and in general more resistance, but it doesn't make as much a difference as I thought.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:38 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:03 pm
45 would seem a good choice for you Michael, not being skinny pro tour type weight. ( or larger wombat :lol: )
:lol: :lol:

Reckon one of my legs weighs as much as a Pocagar.

:cry:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:26 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:08 pm
Honestly I've ridden gravel on tyres ranging between 38 and 45mm and can't tell the difference.
Tend to agree.

Cache.cc have the 45mm Gravel M Pirellis out for $75 which is $25 better than anywhere and ideally the size and tread type suit the easily reachable dirt loops that are close to home.

Will pull the pin shortly 8)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:04 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:26 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Mr Purple wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:08 pm
Tend to agree.

Cache.cc have the 45mm Gravel M Pirellis out for $75 which is $25 better than anywhere and ideally the size and tread type suit the easily reachable dirt loops that are close to home.

Will pull the pin shortly 8)
I just see 45 being able to run a slightly lower pressure without risking rim strike, so should be a touch more comfy, ride wise. Hope they are a goer.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:14 am

That's a very good price on CCache.

I've just ordered some Goodyear Eagle F1 road tubeless tyres on there now - $49 each which is a bargain as well.