Garmin 830 Telling Lies

trailgumby

Garmin 830 Telling Lies

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 08, 2021 5:12 pm

The last few days my Garmin has stopped recording distance properly.

Monday it was constantly bouncing between moving and autopause mode every few seconds, recording only a third of the ride distance, despite me moving continuously for nearly the entire time. Yesterday, it claimed I rode 610 metres in 13 minutes moving time for an hour and a half long session. Today, for what should have been a mountain bike ride somewhere between 13 and 17km (forgot how many laps I did) it only recorded 50m and about a minute's ride time.

Yet it still seems to record the route correctly, and strava even gave me a PB for a techy descending section. So I'm thoroughly confused.

https://www.strava.com/activities/5924639877

I'm guessing it's a software issue. Has anybody experienced similar?

am50em

Re: Garmin 830 Telling Lies

Postby am50em » Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 pm

Speed sensor battery failing?

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 pm

What's your auto pause set to?

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 pm

am50em wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 pm
Doesn't look like it, red and green lights show as expected when pressing the reset button, but after referring to the instructions for the GSC10 I note that while the red light displays for the crank, the green light does not display when the wheel magnet passes.

I did have a crash the other week, when landing very nose-heavy off a jump and rolling the tyre off the rim sent me into a tree, so that impact might not have been good for it. I have a spare I can try.
CaffeineAU wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 pm
Off for the MTB profile used today, "When stationary" for roadie and commuter.

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:58 am

trailgumby wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 9:06 pm
am50em wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:40 pm
Doesn't look like it, red and green lights show as expected when pressing the reset button, but after referring to the instructions for the GSC10 I note that while the red light displays for the crank, the green light does not display when the wheel magnet passes.

I did have a crash the other week, when landing very nose-heavy off a jump and rolling the tyre off the rim sent me into a tree, so that impact might not have been good for it. I have a spare I can try.
CaffeineAU wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:37 pm
Off for the MTB profile used today, "When stationary" for roadie and commuter.
I've had two of them fail now.. with working batteries, lights working. One failed like that and one just stopped recording distance at all. They were both several years old. :oops: I've still got 2/4 working though!

I suggest de pairing the sensor and I bet your distance will come back to normal.

It's a shame they stopped making them.. as an all in one unit they were excellent and very durable. Not suitable for all applications but a good choice for some.

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:41 am

Probably stating the bleeding obvious but have you tried clearing the memory of saved rides?
I had an old 800 stop working properly due to the memory reaching capacity.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:08 pm

Tim wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:41 am
Probably stating the bleeding obvious but have you tried clearing the memory of saved rides?
I had an old 800 stop working properly due to the memory reaching capacity.
Just checked. It seems to be auto-deleting old rides.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Update:
Swapping out that GSC10 for the spare I had set aside for the trail bike seems to have resolved the distance issue. But now the HRM strap is playing up! :lol: :roll: :lol:

I think that might be self-inflicted, though - I sprayed the contacts with a WD40 type lubricant when I noticed some corrosion on one of them. Will give the contacts a clean and see if that helps.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:41 pm

Maybe the battery is failing. :lol:

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:34 am

trailgumby wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:21 pm
Update:
Swapping out that GSC10 for the spare I had set aside for the trail bike seems to have resolved the distance issue. But now the HRM strap is playing up! :lol: :roll: :lol:

I think that might be self-inflicted, though - I sprayed the contacts with a WD40 type lubricant when I noticed some corrosion on one of them. Will give the contacts a clean and see if that helps.
Unlikely c r c is causing issues. Probably the strap is failing. Possible the battery is flat. After all these years of riding with HR in a tropical climate I've just accepted that HR straps are a consumable. Some are better than others but none of them last terribly long. I consider 12 months bonus time. The straps fail typically 2-3 to 1 for the actual HR unit in my experience.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:28 pm

Comedian wrote:
Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:34 am
Unlikely c r c is causing issues. Probably the strap is failing. Possible the battery is flat. After all these years of riding with HR in a tropical climate I've just accepted that HR straps are a consumable. Some are better than others but none of them last terribly long. I consider 12 months bonus time. The straps fail typically 2-3 to 1 for the actual HR unit in my experience.
Looks like you're right. Probably coincidence that the issues started appearing when I sprayed the press stud terminals. Couldn't get it to fire up at all last night. Fortunately I found my long-missing Wahoo Tickr ... right where I left it. Gotta love "male blindness" :roll: :lol:

Now I just gotta get Dr Google's help with re-pairing it with my Wahoo fan unit.