Weight training for cyclists

warthog1

Weight training for cyclists

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:36 am

Well I finally made the plunge today and bought some weight training equipment;

https://loadedlifting.com.au/collection ... e15a&_ss=r

and a pair of 20k plates

https://loadedlifting.com.au/collection ... 0600541362

Plan to do some squats. Haven't done any weight training in about 15 years.

I fell off my bike almost 2 years ago and broke numerous bones.
As a result I got a bone density test done and I have osteopenia; https://www.webmd.com/osteoporosis/guid ... -bone-loss
My GP suggested load bearing exercise, rather than just cycling which isn't, to at least arrest the decline in density.

I am not specifically doing it for strength on the bike, as others may be, however a bit of sprint or ability to push a bigger gear at times would be appreciated.

Does anybody else do anything and if so what exercises and what equipment?
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Nobody

Re: Weight training for cyclists

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:37 pm

Hi WH1,

Those links don't work for me. They get me to the site, but are both 404.

As you may remember, I used to dead lift for a similar reasons to you. They being it's a good idea for everyone over 50 to do it to curb muscle loss and I've been told by medical people that I've got bone density issues as well. Not that lifting will help much with bone density increase at our age. That horse has bolted decades ago. But in that it will limit the further losses.

I was doing OK with deadlift, but then developed a groin injury from it. So had a healing break over a year ago, but never went back. I've got about my body weight on a standard bar (which is fairly light for deadlift) and just did one higher rep set. I chose deadlift because it is considered to be one of the best exercises for loading and working the whole body. It is also a bit safer if things should go wrong than bench press and squats. Which need the correct equipment to avoid injury if lifting heavy.

If you're monitoring bone density, another thing you may want to take up is rigid MTB riding. It certainly shakes me enough at my local park. Hornsby is a fairly rocky area anyway. But sometimes I wonder it the park makers deliberately chose the rockiest paths they could find. The Central Coast when I used to MTB there was smoother from memory. If your tracks are pretty smooth then it may not be worth trying.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:53 pm

Not working here either now.
It was.
Just a hex bar and a pair of 20kg plates.

Yeah it is a strategy to reduce bone loss.
There is some research stating it may improve bone density.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying- ... an-muscles

I don't know alot but osteoblasts and osteoclasts are remodelling our bones

https://www.medicinenet.com/osteoblast_ ... rticle.htm

Anyway stressing the bone by weight bearing exercise apparently stimulates more osteoblast activity.

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2019/8171897/

Trying to not shatter into pieces next time I fall off my bike anyway :o :lol:
Last edited by warthog1 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:05 pm

First thing you should speak to your GP about a GP plan, that way you get 5 Exercise Physio consults on Medicare each year.

That gave me the confidence to hit the local gym, and I have now moved beyond what came from the initial consults.

Just spent last 10 weeks off the bike, out of the gym and off work. So a lot of time on YouTube

start with Dylan Johnson cycling coach and top US MTB/gravel racer
and

If you want to geek out on science behind it strength training and strength and nutrition

If that is too geeky and long winded this is a little more polished and blunt Strength Training Made Simple in 16 bite size pieces

For me, squats, deadlifts, bench press, along with dumbbell work, as my shoulder is still imperfect from a motorcycle accident 25 years ago. Leg press and leg extension to work the quads specifically

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:10 pm

Good luck with the weight training warthog.
I started to worry about age related upper body muscle loss and bone density a while ago too.
I tried out The New York Times 9 resistance exercises to try and address the problem.
After one session I woke up the next morning so stiff and sore I could barely get out of bed. :D
I umm, didn't do any more. :D
Cycling is the only activity I've ever been capable of of maintaining on a regular and long term basis.
I hope your weights don't find their final resting place under the house or buried in the garage, as most do. :D
Keep it up. Be my inspiration. :D

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:16 pm

Thanks Nick, that is exactly the stuff I am after :D

Tim, I work away on call 8 days at a time.
It can get boring, so I'll place the bar where it is staring at me :oops:
Last edited by warthog1 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:28 pm

Some uplifting info on bone density and cycling

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/why- ... mprove-it/

If you are a road cyclist, especially if you train hard or have been training for multiple years, you are more likely to develop osteopenia or osteoporosis. This puts you at a higher risk for fractures; a risk that continues to go up with age and training. More masters were classified as osteoporotic compared to age-matched, non-athletes, and the percentage of these increased significantly after a seven-year period.1 So, for those of you in this category, you are not only more likely to be at risk, but the risk factor is higher as you complete more years of cycling training.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:23 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:16 pm
Thanks Nick, that is exactly the stuff I am after :D

Tim, I work away on call 8 days at a time.
It can get boring, so I'll place the bar where it is staring at me :oops:
This guy has a bit of ideas on weight training too:

He's reasonably fast as well.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:27 pm

He's also pretty strong! :o
Thanks GB

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:37 am

I need to do some of the same, but I hate gyms and the weights work. It would certainly give me more power. My cardio and breathing at the moment is excellent.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:37 am

Yeah not a fan of weights either.
That is why it has taken so long to get into it even though I have chalky bones.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:44 pm

If it's any consolation the evidence out there for osteoporosis in cyclists is not huge.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230645/

A lot of the studies are comparing cyclists to weightbearing athletes, and you would expect there to be a difference. When compared to sedentary individuals we're much the same for bone density. This is not a good thing, but not as bad as more at risk overall.

Having said that I've done weights for 20 years. Mainly a mix of the standard chest and shoulder exercises, but also squats and quadriceps. Has it helped as a cyclist? Not really, but I probably do better on the upper body strength than average as a result.

I'll still do it if only because I occasionally get passed by the top level climbers and don't really want to get that thin, however fast it is.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:22 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:44 pm
If it's any consolation the evidence out there for osteoporosis in cyclists is not huge.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3230645/

A lot of the studies are comparing cyclists to weightbearing athletes, and you would expect there to be a difference. When compared to sedentary individuals we're much the same for bone density. This is not a good thing, but not as bad as more at risk overall.

Having said that I've done weights for 20 years. Mainly a mix of the standard chest and shoulder exercises, but also squats and quadriceps. Has it helped as a cyclist? Not really, but I probably do better on the upper body strength than average as a result.

I'll still do it if only because I occasionally get passed by the top level climbers and don't really want to get that thin, however fast it is.
You would know more than me.
I read this a while back that had me concerned;
https://blogs.bmj.com/bjsm/2018/02/27/c ... -no-bones/

Anyway I have had a bone scan and it is confirmed I have osteopenia.
My GP was concerned on the bone density results and suggested weights.
I have done cycling for exercise exclusively for about 15 years.
Hours and hours in the saddle.
Anyway I'll see how I stick at it.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:59 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:22 pm
It's crucially important not to go too hard at the start. Sets of 15-20 with very light weights at the beginning, focussing heavly on correct form, to get your connective tissues used to the extra load and prevent injury. They adapt much more slowly than your muscles, and take longer to repair when overstressed. You need about 6 weeks to gradually build up before being able to start weight training proper. This phase is called "anatomical adaptation" and everyone needs to do it after a break.

I highly recommend getting a copy of Joe Friel's The Cyclists Training Bible and Fast After 50. The latter is a supplement to the former for senior cyclists and you need to know what's in the first book to make sense of it. Joe is a leader in the field of ageing endurance athletes and all his recommendations are data led.

He is a huge proponent of weight training for senior athletes, for all the reasons you now find yourself required to confront these issues. Just 2 sessions a week will make a massive difference.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:59 pm
warthog1 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:22 pm
It's crucially important not to go too hard at the start. Sets of 15-20 with very light weights at the beginning, focussing heavly on correct form, to get your connective tissues used to the extra load and prevent injury. They adapt much more slowly than your muscles, and take longer to repair when overstressed. You need about 6 weeks to gradually build up before being able to start weight training proper. This phase is called "anatomical adaptation" and everyone needs to do it after a break.

I highly recommend getting a copy of Joe Friel's The Cyclists Training Bible and Fast After 50. The latter is a supplement to the former for senior cyclists and you need to know what's in the first book to make sense of it. Joe is a leader in the field of ageing endurance athletes and all his recommendations are data led.

He is a huge proponent of weight training for senior athletes, for all the reasons you now find yourself required to confront these issues. Just 2 sessions a week will make a massive difference.
Remember Marcel Kittel saying just exactly that. Joe Friel's book is excellent - I have it here. Also have one on power meters and also Mr Carmichael's Time Crunched Cyclist training program book. The last one wasn't because it was better, just that I wanted to read all the different ones and different ideas.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:37 am

trailgumby wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 9:59 pm

I'll check that out, thanks. :)

Abby

Postby Abby » Thu Oct 14, 2021 5:35 pm

I've started doing deadlifts - with both the straight bar and hex bar. Only do them twice a week, and not trying to max out the weight or anything. Currently doing 1 warm-up set of 5 reps (AT) 30kg, then 4 sets of 8 reps at 50kg.

They've made a huge difference to my cycling. Lots of little niggles have disappeared, and I feel rock solid on the bike. Wish I started years ago...
Twitter / Instagram: @cgradecyclist

Carolus Rex

Postby Carolus Rex » Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:01 pm

I'm not sure of the etiquette here, if it's not OK to dig up older threads I'm sure someone will let me know if it's not.

If anyone needs some tips on cycling specific weight training one of the best articles I've ever read was a forum post written by Craig Colduck who was a strength coach for the AIS. The article is focused on sprint cycling but the basics are the same for any strength program just the amount of time developing power and endurance needs to be adapted to the type of competition you're engaged in.

The time in the gym he recommends is way too long for the average cyclist who has a normal life to lead (work, family etc) but he offers some basics on how to manage your weight program so that you don't dig yourself into hole and annihilate your recovery capacity.

He offers some excellent advice in regards to sets and reps, loads, lifting speed and the type of lifts that will give you the best results. Maybe someone will find it helpful,

https://fdocuments.net/document/ais-pow ... nters.html

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:30 pm

Carolus Rex wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:01 pm
I'm not sure of the etiquette here, if it's not OK to dig up older threads I'm sure someone will let me know if it's not.

If anyone needs some tips on cycling specific weight training one of the best articles I've ever read was a forum post written by Craig Colduck who was a strength coach for the AIS. The article is focused on sprint cycling but the basics are the same for any strength program just the amount of time developing power and endurance needs to be adapted to the type of competition you're engaged in.

The time in the gym he recommends is way too long for the average cyclist who has a normal life to lead (work, family etc) but he offers some basics on how to manage your weight program so that you don't dig yourself into hole and annihilate your recovery capacity.

He offers some excellent advice in regards to sets and reps, loads, lifting speed and the type of lifts that will give you the best results. Maybe someone will find it helpful,

https://fdocuments.net/document/ais-pow ... nters.html

Thanks, very interesting read.