greenspeed GT20 questions

Nazar

greenspeed GT20 questions

Postby Nazar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:04 pm

hi guys/gals.
am interested in a greenspeed GT20 (hey admin, i read the post :D )

with my previous bikes (2 weelers) i had suspension and would never go back to a rigid frame, but being a recumbent i am told you don't feel the vibrations/bumps the same? any advice.
have test ridden the one above, but i live in the country and i could only test ride it in the smooth roads of Perth.

TrikeTragic

Re: greenspeed GT20 questions

Postby TrikeTragic » Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:28 pm

I don't have a GT-20, but mine is a 20 - 26 recumbent trike with no suspension, same mesh seat as the Greenspeed.

Effectively, the mesh seat is the suspension. Yes you feel vibrations and definitely feel sharper ripples or uneven road surface, but there is no comparison with how these feel, even on a suspended bike. Basically, road shocks are spread over much broader body contact area than a bike seat, and are certainly not transmitted straight up your spine.

Tyres and tyre pressures are also part of the equation. I find I don't need high tyre pressures with my weight spread over the extra point of contact with the road. 60 psi in 100 psi rated tryres is quite adequate and does not drop efficiency very much, and anything like 80 plus psi is much rougher to ride.

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:41 pm

I do have a GT20 and agree with Alan.

I haven't ridden a suspended bike but I've taken the GT over some rough roads and large chipseal and was fine. You really do notice the difference between what your body feels and what your hands feel!

You do need big tyres. I have 42mm Conti Urbans are they are very nice - comfortable and fast. It's nicer with those than it was with the Marathons. Of course Marathons are known to be stiff tyres.

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:19 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:28 pm
I don't have a GT-20, but mine is a 20 - 26 recumbent trike with no suspension, same mesh seat as the Greenspeed.
zebee wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 8:41 pm
I do have a GT20 and agree with Alan.
thankyou alan and zebee, that answers my question perfectly with options for a smoother ride :D

so now i know i have the right bike , The question will be what accessories i will need ? and i would greatly appreciate any help or alternatives to buying the official accessories ?
this is what i am thinking : greenspeed official accessories
a) - bash guard for front sprocket (must, not official acc)
b) - luggage rack $89 USD (i figure with the folding design, the official one will fit)
c) - headrest $139 USD (not sure i will need it, as the seat will be mostly in the upright position) ??? people with experience, please chime in.
d) - front fenders $195 (don't want dirt flicking up in my face turning corners), a cheaper alternative or make them myself would be greatly appreciated.
e) - accessory mount $29 (assume this is also "grab handles" and mirrors can be attached to it) please chime in telling me if this is correct.
f) - light mount $25 (seems like a good idea as safety is very important to me, but seems expensive for what it is)
g) - side pannier (not official acc , for phone, keys, wallet, easy access)

a lot to read there, hardly anyone will read it, any help with each of these items would be appreciated

zebee

Postby zebee » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:56 pm

Nazar wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:19 pm

so now i know i have the right bike , The question will be what accessories i will need ? and i would greatly appreciate any help or alternatives to buying the official accessories ?
this is what i am thinking : greenspeed official accessories
a) - bash guard for front sprocket (must, not official acc)
I have one for the 2 wheeler because that goes in trains. Don't for the trike and have never seen a need for it. I was way more scared for the rear deraiileur than the front but neither have had issues even over grass or shrubbery. (It was only once! honest!)
b) - luggage rack $89 USD (i figure with the folding design, the official one will fit)
I have the official one and it fits easily. I have sorta looked at a topeak one to fit my racktop bag but instead used a seatpost rack for it attached to the headrest. Panniers clip to the rack, racktop bag sits above it. THe issue is there aren't that many places to attach the front part of a non-GS rack.
c) - headrest $139 USD (not sure i will need it, as the seat will be mostly in the upright position) ??? people with experience, please chime in.
I find it nice to have on longer rides. Even at traffic lights it is good to lie back and rest. My seat is on the 2nd lowest point at the back. WHich is still fairly upright.
d) - front fenders $195 (don't want dirt flicking up in my face turning corners), a cheaper alternative or make them myself would be greatly appreciated.
Bloody things move all the time. I tried and tried but they would slip around and get in the way and are generally a right pain. Alas if you don't have them you do get wet and if you are in muddy water you get dirty as well. I live with that because I never could get the mudguards working. Doesn't matter what you do when you are clamping something around a round pole it won't stay.

And if you do have them and the move around the pole they fail to do the job you want them for, Fiddly buggers to fit and impossible to keep fitted.
e) - accessory mount $29 (assume this is also "grab handles" and mirrors can be attached to it) please chime in telling me if this is correct.
I have the tall pole things the mudguards attached to and Mircycle MTB mirror bar end mounts fit into the tops of those without a problem. I don't use a computer so don't need to worry about that.
f) - light mount $25 (seems like a good idea as safety is very important to me, but seems expensive for what it is)
p-clip from Bunnings or your nearest electrical bits place. Or make one out of ally strip. Clamp around the front deraiileur post. Or get proper B&M lights and bolt that to the hole on top of the post.
g) - side pannier (not official acc , for phone, keys, wallet, easy access)
I spent the money on terracycle bits to mount a bottle and an ortlieb handlebar bag next to the seat. Right now the bottle is there but the config for the bag is not as I don't need it on a commuter. If I was going touring I'd set that back up again. They sell clamps and bars that fit the seat tubes, such things are surprisingly hard to find due to odd tube diameters.

My best accessory is one of these!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001854347675.html
I got an orange one. The poles fit down the seat tubes, I fasten the front down with 2 cords (attached to points I sewed on) that run to the mudguard poles. Sunshade, some rain protection and magnificent visibility!

It does sometimes flap down in my face if a gust catches it wrongly but I cope. One day I'll work out how to stop that I guess but I think it means a much more rigid frame.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm

The GT20 is a wonderful little trike, a great blend of practicality and performance.
Of your listed GS accessories, the US$ pricing is misleading...current pricing is as follows but is subject to change. (AUD incl gst)
Rear Rack $183
Headrest $209
Front Mudguards $272 (also needs accessory posts, double pinch clamps, and accessory mount all x 2)
Accessory post $18 ea
Double pinch clamp $36 ea
Computer/shifter mount $52 ea
Grab Handle $34 ea

The accessory mount (computer/shifter) is not the same as the grab handles. The grab handles are very similar to MTB bar end handles from years ago, they are not at 90 degrees like the accessory mount and are slightly bigger diameter. Clamps meant for 22.2mm handle bars probably won't fit. The mudguards won't fit using the grab handles.

You will need a mirror (or two). The Mirrycle MTB mirror is ideal, and fits in the top of the accessory post, or the end of the grab handle, and gives a very good and stable view of what's happening behind.

A cheaper generic rear rack is available, but does need a little work to make it fit.

As far as recommended accessories, a mirror is mandatory (I think), and add a rear rack, and a headrest to make the trike immediately usable. All the other bits are nice to have's, and may or may not suit your riding style...

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:30 pm

zebee wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:56 pm
My best accessory is one of these!
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001854347675.html
I got an orange one. The poles fit down the seat tubes, I fasten the front down with 2 cords (attached to points I sewed on) that run to the mudguard poles. Sunshade, some rain protection and magnificent visibility!

It does sometimes flap down in my face if a gust catches it wrongly but I cope. One day I'll work out how to stop that I guess but I think it means a much more rigid frame.
hey zebee, i want to thank you for you excellent feedback, you have given me a lot of real world experience here with each of my questions, i really appreciate it, but especially for the above idea - i know i wont be able to fold the trike but my wife kept mentioning a sun shade (didn't know anything like this existed) i am pretty handy so if i think of a better way of fixing it, i will let you know :thumbsup:

one further question, i live in a costal town that is quite windy - would the sun shade work as you have done it without extra securing? (i guess what i am really asking is if it is windy or calm where you are :D

skyblot wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:13 pm
The GT20 is a wonderful little trike, a great blend of practicality and performance.
hey skyblot, thanks heaps for the AUD price (mine was just an internet search) - and yes i think you are right with essentials.
the accessory mount seems to be the way to go - as i think the accessory mount and the grab handles bolt to the same place (thanks for clearing that up for me). also if i change my mind about the front guards and decide to get them in the future.

one question, the front mudguards are a bit pricey and with what you have written, it sounds like the front mudguards are a lot more secure (newer design) than what zebee said. ???

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:03 pm

The front mudguards are ridiculously expensive, but if you want front mudguards on a Greenspeed they are the only game in town (short of making your own)!

There is a new accessory mount these days, it is far more robust than the original one. The original one had a metal strap and hidden screw arrangement that looks super neat and is ideal for computers, lights etc but simply not man enough for mudguards. The later style uses a proper machined clamp and 2 M6 screws to secure it to the accessory post, probably why it's $52!

I don't think the design itself has changed over time though.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:51 am

The sunshade does flap in the wind and if you are somewhere it is gusty then you will want to design a better frame.
Was a bloke in Sydney had something similar and he made a frame using kite fittings! But I don't recall the design.

The issue is that the ally poles, even if braced at the back, will twist and flop at the front given enough force. I have pondered something rigid coming up from the wheel mount area and might play with that a bit. Main problem is how to securely mount it at the base, meaning have to make some kind of socket that can use the bolts down there. It will get a lot of twisting force.

I don't think a decent cantilever brace can be made from the seatposts,again the problem is twisting forces.

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:53 am

skyblot wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:03 pm

There is a new accessory mount these days, it is far more robust than the original one. The original one had a metal strap and hidden screw arrangement that looks super neat and is ideal for computers, lights etc but simply not man enough for mudguards. The later style uses a proper machined clamp and 2 M6 screws to secure it to the accessory post, probably why it's $52!
ooh, that sounds interesting. I still have all the mudguard stuff so do I want to spend $100 on decent guards? Answer is yes!

So who in Oz has these, these days? Or do I have to order from GS's new owners in the US?

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:18 am

Trisled in Vic are the Greenspeed distributors, I understand they have the accessory mount in stock.
Support your local dealer (if you have one...), RSC in Canberra is probably your closest. I'm in Brisbane but that's not terribly convenient either. Trisled will sell direct though.

Make sure they know you want the 2 bolt clamp style!

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:09 pm

Oh and folding the trike if you have a sunshade? Just unclip the front cords, unclip the back cords, hoick the poles out of the seat tubes. Remove poles from fabric, fold the lot up and put it back in the bag it came in.
If you are making a more rigid frame just pay attention to easy take down.

I usually remove the sunshade if I get a flat on the rear because turning it upside down makes getting the rear wheel out easier.

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:05 pm

thanks skyblot and zebee, it's great skyblot was also able to help you zebee :D yes the mudguards are very expensive and i may get them later, but for now i think i may give it a go at making my own, but those clamps will definitely be a must !
with the sunshade, i think kite poles at the front (down to the frame) then occy straps creating an X (at the front) should stop the twisting. but hey :D this is just theory!

not sure if i should put this here (or create a new thread) converting it to an ebike - (hub rear drive) is there a way of having a throttle and a PAS system? , (i know they make them with both, am thinking throttle on the accessory pole) i am not sure a throttle would work on this type of bike? throttle would only be used on rare occasions.

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Converting to an e-bike...
Most if not all, aftermarket DIY e-bike conversion kits include a throttle, and a pedal assist sensor. Check the requirements in your state and locale, as the federal legislation was amended early this year and makes throttle control illegal (States seem to be able to over ride the federal requirements...)

Also...WA limits e-bike width to 660mm (or it might apply to all bikes but the way it's written is e-bikes):https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activet ... safety.asp
Bicycle Industries Australia is lobbying the WA government to change this law.

E-kits work well on trikes. My personal preference is the Bafang mid drive, but others like rear wheel hub motors.

Nazar

Postby Nazar » Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:12 pm

skyblot wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:03 pm
Converting to an e-bike...
Most if not all, aftermarket DIY e-bike conversion kits include a throttle, and a pedal assist sensor. Check the requirements in your state and locale, as the federal legislation was amended early this year and makes throttle control illegal (States seem to be able to over ride the federal requirements...)

Also...WA limits e-bike width to 660mm (or it might apply to all bikes but the way it's written is e-bikes):https://www.transport.wa.gov.au/activet ... safety.asp
Bicycle Industries Australia is lobbying the WA government to change this law.

E-kits work well on trikes. My personal preference is the Bafang mid drive, but others like rear wheel hub motors.
thanks, had no idea the legislation had changed, seriously??? they changed the width to 660mm? gripe here - why do we have a stupid restriction of 250watts? as well as speed restrictions - doesn't make sense

anyway, thanks heaps guys

zebee

Postby zebee » Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:15 pm

Issue with turning it round is... it isn't built to work like that. I doubt it will work. And don't forget you have to get in and out!

My trike was electrified by Sydney Electric Bikes a few years ago using a Bionx. Works well enough. When I bought it throttles were legal they aren't now...