New Cannondale Synapse

Longbow

New Cannondale Synapse

Postby Longbow » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:01 pm

I love my previous generation Cannondale Synapse but I'm not impressed with the new one - in particular the clunky integrated lights/radar, which have added weight and complexity and subtracted from the spec elsewhere. Any thoughts?

https://www.bikeradar.com/reviews/bikes ... rl-review/

Mr Purple

Re: New Cannondale Synapse

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:51 pm

Looks heavy, a bit gimmicky and very expensive.

I have no idea why they're thinking it's acceptable for a $6500+ bike (that's what it will be at least here) to have an alloy seatpost and bars, and weigh almost 10kg.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:51 pm
Looks heavy, a bit gimmicky and very expensive.

I have no idea why they're thinking it's acceptable for a $6500+ bike (that's what it will be at least here) to have an alloy seatpost and bars, and weigh almost 10kg.
'
Prices across all brands are headed to the moon at the moment. Supply chain scarcity is the driver. They can't get as many bikes out the door, demand is as high as ever, they need to keep the doors open on reduced volumes.

I expect we will see a number of the smaller boutique bike builders (erm, assemblers) go to the wall because they can't get stock. Component suppliers are naturally prioritising their bigger customers for what limited parts they can supply.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:40 am

This is particularly poor value though. A Canyon Endurace CF SL8 has Ultegra, carbon bars and seatpost and weighs 8.06kg at $4300. The CF SL8 aero is around the same price as the Synapse and has Ultegra Di2 and weighs 7.47kg.

Even allowing for the 'direct to user' marketing model making them cheaper, I'm not sure why you'd buy a Cannondale over pretty much any of the competition given that spec and price. And I like Cannondales!

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:47 am

Increased weight. Tick.
Stupid gimmicks. Tick.
Price through the roof. Tick.

Ticks all the boxes for a current day road bike.

Not a time to be buying.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm

AndrewCowley wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:47 am
Increased weight. Tick.
Stupid gimmicks. Tick.
Price through the roof. Tick.

Ticks all the boxes for a current day road bike.

Not a time to be buying.
I don't know - there are examples of bikes being as light as the ones they replaced and cheaper than the predecessor models right now.

The Cannondale I wouldn't touch, seems to be a gimmick.

AndrewCowley

Postby AndrewCowley » Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:59 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 5:57 pm
I don't know - there are examples of bikes being as light as the ones they replaced and cheaper than the predecessor models right now.

Are there? Do tell!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:13 pm

Ultimate CFR Di2 Dura Ace 2021/2022 - 6.2kg - A$13,549
Ultimate CF Evo disc 2019 - 5.8kg - A$12,299
Ultimate CF Evo 2018 (rim brake) 5.8kg - A$18,599 (mine is 6.0kg)

Both the newer bikes are cheaper than the older one.

I'm sure I could find more examples. I can remember rim brake Trek Madones back in the old days well up around $18,000 (some above $20K), equally expensive as modern bikes at the top level.

If we didn't have the supply shortages then the prices wouldn't be going through the roof.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:13 pm
If we didn't have the supply shortages then the prices wouldn't be going through the roof.
While I'm 100% with AndrewCowley, there's truth in this statement: Rivendell are reporting they are seeing 500+ day lead times on certain parts and even their own bikes are over a year away
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:58 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:36 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:13 pm
While I'm 100% with AndrewCowley, there's truth in this statement: Rivendell are reporting they are seeing 500+ day lead times on certain parts and even their own bikes are over a year away
We are seeing these supply shortages elsewhere, if you wanted to buy a new Mac Pro 7,1 computer, you cannot. Not possible - they have very long supply times.

And talk of people with computers that failed, they cannot get a backplane board replacement (not available) and so their whole entire computer was replaced. Now that's not even possible. :(

Then things like cassettes for certain bike drivetrains, some are just not available easily, out of stock everywhere.

timbo

Postby timbo » Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:48 pm

I have a 2014 Cannondale Carbon Synapse 105. The last of the rim brake models. It's a ripper bike.
When they went to disc brakes, the weight and the weight extracted from your wallet went up considerably. The frame redesign for disc brakes meant that wider tyres would now fit, and that is the only thing that I would like, as mine has 25C tyres, and I would prefer 28 or 30C tyres, but it's not worth swapping bikes for.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:47 pm

I’m a Cannondale fan (rode my 2011 CAADX today) and had a light carbon 2015 Synapse 105 which I did some great endurance rides on. But I’ve been waiting in vain for several years for something from ‘dale as light, nimble and responsive (and preferably Al disc) as either of those two bikes.

Sadly, their all road/endurance bikes have become too heavy, complex and expensive. IMHO, of course. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

Tim

Postby Tim » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:39 pm

I briefly owned a new 2011 Synapse (SRAM Red) and it was a complete dud. The BB30 continued to creak after 3 attempted repairs and replacements and then the seat tube cracked. After a protracted wrangle with the distributor I received a full refund. Cannondale and SRAM, never again.
That said I still enjoy riding my 2010 CAAD9. It gets a run at least 4 days a month. There isn't much of the original bike left excluding the frame, forks and bars. It's as fast as, and handles as well as my (near) current framed TCR ADV SL.
There's a limit to how much extra speed, handling and comfort can be squeezed out of an up to date new bike. The gains are minor, verging on insignificant. Aero seems to be the latest buzz, with a corresponding rise in weight. I prefer lightweight climbing type bikes eg. the old aluminium CAAD9. It's comfortable to ride too. As good as my favourite custom steelie.

stevenaaus

Postby stevenaaus » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:47 pm
Sadly, their all road/endurance bikes have become too heavy, complex and expensive. IMHO, of course. :wink:
A mate brought his newish Supersix over for adjustment. Lovely bike, exe profiled wheels, but he was a bit down when his $10K bike came in a little heavier than my ancient 7.7kg 2004 TCR C0.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 29, 2022 8:25 am

stevenaaus wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 pm
cyclotaur wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:47 pm
A mate brought his newish Supersix over for adjustment. Lovely bike, exe profiled wheels, but he was a bit down when his $10K bike came in a little heavier than my ancient 7.7kg 2004 TCR C0.

:lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:58 pm

Tim wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:39 pm
I briefly owned a new 2011 Synapse (SRAM Red) and it was a complete dud. The BB30 continued to creak after 3 attempted repairs and replacements and then the seat tube cracked. After a protracted wrangle with the distributor I received a full refund. Cannondale and SRAM, never again.
That said I still enjoy riding my 2010 CAAD9. It gets a run at least 4 days a month. There isn't much of the original bike left excluding the frame, forks and bars. It's as fast as, and handles as well as my (near) current framed TCR ADV SL.
There's a limit to how much extra speed, handling and comfort can be squeezed out of an up to date new bike. The gains are minor, verging on insignificant. Aero seems to be the latest buzz, with a corresponding rise in weight. I prefer lightweight climbing type bikes eg. the old aluminium CAAD9. It's comfortable to ride too. As good as my favourite custom steelie.
'
Love my CAAD9, although after being run off the road today, a disc brake weekend bike will be on the shopping list soon. You are right, beautifully comfortable ride.

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm

trailgumby wrote: Love my CAAD9, although after being run off the road today, a disc brake weekend bike will be on the shopping list soon. You are right, beautifully comfortable ride.
That doesn't sound too good. What happened?

Edit: Just read your Moron Motorist post. Bloody tradesmen. It's more than just anecdotal coincidence that a disproportionate number of my and other cyclists run-ins are with the dual cab ute brigade. I hope you're okay. Oh, and greyhounds are big sooks. Take it from me, I own one.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jan 29, 2022 4:58 pm

Tim wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 2:26 pm
Edit: Just read your Moron Motorist post. Bloody tradesmen. It's more than just anecdotal coincidence that a disproportionate number of my and other cyclists run-ins are with the dual cab ute brigade. I hope you're okay. Oh, and greyhounds are big sooks. Take it from me, I own one.
Yeah, I've got a few minor scraps and bruises, and apart from my left ring finger I expect to be good in a couple of days. Unfortunately from experience I've learned that fingers seem to take forever to resolve soft tissue strains and sprains. Riding the panel joins on the concrete section of Pittwater Rd between Narrabeen and Dee Why was a punish on the way back after the OTB - was getting a little concerned about my ability to securely hang onto the bars. Time to unpack the Nurofen and spin up the trainer.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:59 pm

And the big chunky battery doesn't last all that long, considering this is their "all day long distance" bike.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

colinc

Postby colinc » Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:49 pm

timbo wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:48 pm
I have a 2014 Cannondale Carbon Synapse 105. The last of the rim brake models. It's a ripper bike.
When they went to disc brakes, the weight and the weight extracted from your wallet went up considerably. The frame redesign for disc brakes meant that wider tyres would now fit, and that is the only thing that I would like, as mine has 25C tyres, and I would prefer 28 or 30C tyres, but it's not worth swapping bikes for.
I have exactly the same model and exactly the same wish! Made even worse by how hard it is becoming to get rim brake group sets.
You can run 28mm on them, it is a little awkward getting the wheels on - lots of juggling with the brakes, but it does fit.

.. If only I'd spent the extra couple of hundred for the disc brake version back then, where was the crystal ball!