2022 UCI World Championship Road Race in Wollongong

vosadrian

Re: 2022 UCI World Championship Road Race in Wollongong

Postby vosadrian » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:16 pm

Anybody from Sydney going down to watch that has worked out an optimal way to do it? Like where to go to see the best of it either riding or driving? I'm keen to go, but have no idea how to do it.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:16 pm
Anybody from Sydney going down to watch that has worked out an optimal way to do it? Like where to go to see the best of it either riding or driving? I'm keen to go, but have no idea how to do it.
There's some info here about park and ride and extra trains:
https://transportnsw.info/events/2022/0 ... ngong-2022

Getting near the centre of the city/close to the finishes by car will be all but impossible (witness the whining from the locals about not being able to get in/out/park/medevac/etc). Best way would be to get a train as close as you can. Most of the stations between Stanwell Park and North Wollongong are pretty close to the elite road route starting in Helensburgh, so there could be an option to get off and watch them go past, then continue into the city for the finish. The extra trains might make this a good option. I'm planning on doing something like that, but hopefully riding into the city for the finish so I can move around a bit faster and hit a couple of spots on the final loop (mens elite does 12 laps of the loop, womens do 6). I've got access to a bike down there so may not have to take one of my own, though I'd prefer to ride one I know. I'd wager the train will have a fair few on it. I was hoping to stay overnight on the Saturday but may not be able to now, so might have to miss the womens elite and just go on the Sunday. Still figuring this out.

It would be cool to get up to Mt Keira to catch that climb, but I don't know what time they're closing that off. Riding or walking would be the only option to get up there I reckon, cause there's not much opportunity to park off the road around that stretch.

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:39 am

familyguy wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:27 pm
vosadrian wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:16 pm
There's some info here about park and ride and extra trains:
https://transportnsw.info/events/2022/0 ... ngong-2022

Getting near the centre of the city/close to the finishes by car will be all but impossible (witness the whining from the locals about not being able to get in/out/park/medevac/etc). Best way would be to get a train as close as you can. Most of the stations between Stanwell Park and North Wollongong are pretty close to the elite road route starting in Helensburgh, so there could be an option to get off and watch them go past, then continue into the city for the finish. The extra trains might make this a good option. I'm planning on doing something like that, but hopefully riding into the city for the finish so I can move around a bit faster and hit a couple of spots on the final loop (mens elite does 12 laps of the loop, womens do 6). I've got access to a bike down there so may not have to take one of my own, though I'd prefer to ride one I know. I'd wager the train will have a fair few on it. I was hoping to stay overnight on the Saturday but may not be able to now, so might have to miss the womens elite and just go on the Sunday. Still figuring this out.

It would be cool to get up to Mt Keira to catch that climb, but I don't know what time they're closing that off. Riding or walking would be the only option to get up there I reckon, cause there's not much opportunity to park off the road around that stretch.
Yes trains are the go I think. Maybe even drive down the M1 past the Gong to Dapto ...heaps of car parking there next to the station, then catch the train back up to Wollongong. Walk down to Win Stadium / Lang park. The big screens will be set up and that's the finish line.
For gboaf maybe train it to Fairy Meadow ...its only about 300 metres walk to the Fraternity Club / Italian corner. Same deal, big screens, its on the course loop, coffee vans and food.
They seem like the best 2 spots.
From Sydney, its difficult to come in to Wollongong from the North due to road closures and traffic. Think about driving past the exits and coming back up from the south where there are no road closures during the week, and only one on the weekend of the elite mens and womens.
All info and road closures available at Wollongong 2022 website.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:53 pm

Thanks Derny Driver. :)

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:19 am

So if driving with a bike, is it feasible to park somewhere near Kiera and ride to watch, then ride back to car, and drive somewhere 5k from city loop and ride to a vantage point on streets not used for the course?

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:02 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:19 am
So if driving with a bike, is it feasible to park somewhere near Kiera and ride to watch, then ride back to car, and drive somewhere 5k from city loop and ride to a vantage point on streets not used for the course?
Tough questions!
Possibly you could exit the M1 at the Picton road and drive to Mt Keira road, park up the top there and ride down to the hill to watch. Come back to the car later, get back on the M1 and exit the Figtree exit, head to Figtree mall, turn left and follow The Avenue east to Coniston area to park. Thats about 5 km from the Wollongong CBD. Ride in and find a spot somewhere on the course.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:07 am

Thanks! I might give that a go!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:03 am

Saw the latest article in CN talking about Magpies being a potential issue.

It’ll be all good for the Aussies if they’ve fed them for a while !

LG

Postby LG » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:44 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:03 am
Saw the latest article in CN talking about Magpies being a potential issue.

It’ll be all good for the Aussies if they’ve fed them for a while !
Was wondering about that, I've come up from Tassie where our magpies generally don't swoop and got smacked on the helmet half a dozen times on my first ride near Beechworth. Would potentially cause chaos during a race.
LG = Low Gear

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:02 am

Good point on magpies, though considering the amount of traffic on the roads, on-course cars and motos along with the expected good spectator numbers, by the time the shoot past, the magpies should be exhausted by then.
Cycling is in my BNA

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:09 am

Stumbled across a Facebook thread of idiots complaining about the road closures. That’s a special level of stupid.

Both the TT are road courses are available to ride in Fulgaz. The hills don’t seem much until you need to hit them for the second time after holding down FTP for 40 minutes!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:21 am

Annoyed that to watch the live coverage you have to have an EXTRA subscription within Stan. Another $10 a month. No thanks.

Looks like I’ll be limited to the highlights on FTA

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:53 pm

And apparently they’ve geoblocked the live GCN stream. Pretty easy to VPN around it though.

My virtual TT time yesterday would have put me 39th of 44 in the women’s field. And only because there were two DNFs and I’m assuming some mechanicals.

They’re just all incredibly fast!

nathg

Postby nathg » Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:19 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:21 am
Annoyed that to watch the live coverage you have to have an EXTRA subscription within Stan. Another $10 a month. No thanks.

I reactivated my Stan account, and am using the 7-day free trial. I believe I’ll get charged for the month next Sunday, so will cancel on Saturday as I intend to venture down there for the road race on Sunday.

timbo

Postby timbo » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:35 pm

Being an old fart these days, I caught the train from Sydney to Thirroul and rode down to the Gong from there, to join the Community Ride on the starting Saturday. There was a good atmosphere the whole day, with plenty of local residents on the route of the community ride getting into the cycling vibe with painted bicycles and World Champ themed front nature strips. As well as saying Hello to Cadel, I also chatted to many people who were also there to take part in the festivities, and were it not for our love of bicycles, and yes, The Worlds, I would never have the honour of meeting these people. The Worlds is so much more than a bike race.

am50em

Postby am50em » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:41 pm

I watched on Youtube GCN/Eurosport live. Just happened to see it.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:55 pm

That ride by Tobias Foss was brilliant and made Ganna look pedestrian. :wink:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:56 pm

I was at rhe Throsby Avenue/Foleys Avenue roundabout on a literal whim as I drove past today. Thought I'd see how close I could park, ended up 75m away, so went to watch the last dozen go past, including Kung, Pog, Ganna, Hayter, Evenpoel. Some serious motors on them!

Remco Evenpoel

Bauke Mollema

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:56 am

I was there just before the corner before the finish. Parked about a 15 minute walk away (near Subaru dealership). Was close enough to the finish to hear the commentary, but far enough to get a good spot for viewing with some space either side of me and a view about 150m up the road. They were hitting that part of the course pretty quick.... especially on the last push to the line. It was a great atmosphere. Took like 500 photos and some are pretty good. Went to the podium ceremony afterwards. Would be good if the riders got to speak. It was not as crowded as I expected, but may be for the road race. Easily doable drive and walk.

It would have been fairly easy to park close to the course further from the main part of the town.

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm

I took my team (Tahiti) motorpacing in the morning, then after lunch jumped on an old bike and went to various parts of the course including the main climb at Dumfries Rd ...crazy crowd up there going nuts. I was also around the Gwyneville / TAFE area, some nice fast corners there.
I also got my ugly mug on TV on the climb as Ganna went up followed by the TV motorbike.
I had so much fun, saw all the Pros up close. Caught up lots of people I know.
Hanging out with my friends from Tahiti and helping them out.
Next weekend will be even bigger !

Imagetahiti by Derny Driver, on Flickr

Sharkey

Postby Sharkey » Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:43 am

MichaelB wrote:

Stan Sport has a 7 day free trial. Sign up, watch the cycling, then cancel your subscription.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:47 pm

Sharkey wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:43 am
MichaelB wrote:

Stan Sport has a 7 day free trial. Sign up, watch the cycling, then cancel your subscription.
Meh, that’s just then supporting the model of greed.

Not interested now.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:32 pm

DernyDriver wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:55 pm
I took my team (Tahiti) motorpacing in the morning, then after lunch jumped on an old bike and went to various parts of the course including the main climb at Dumfries Rd ...crazy crowd up there going nuts. I was also around the Gwyneville / TAFE area, some nice fast corners there.
I also got my ugly mug on TV on the climb as Ganna went up followed by the TV motorbike.
I had so much fun, saw all the Pros up close. Caught up lots of people I know.
Hanging out with my friends from Tahiti and helping them out.
Next weekend will be even bigger !

Imagetahiti by Derny Driver, on Flickr

Bloody media tart. :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:29 am

Lot’s of people having a good tine which is great. Would love to be over.

On van vlueten, what hapoened there? She veered right then left and fell. Really seemed like a drivetrain issue to cause that response as it wasn’t a clipped wheel and it look like something with pedalling and the chain slipping or getting stuck.

Saw the damaged bike with the derailluer hanger hanging off. What a shame for the Dutch in the mixed relay.
Cycling is in my BNA

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:21 am

someone's been training the seagulls
Anything you can do, I can do slower