Road cycling buddy or group rides

Bike_girl

Road cycling buddy or group rides

Postby Bike_girl » Sun May 01, 2022 6:42 pm

Hi there, I'm a female Melbourne cyclist and relatively new to cycling (started a few months ago). I'm keen to join a cycling group or find some cycling buddies in my area who are interested in meeting on a regular basis. Would love to build my confidence on the road and push myself to go further and faster. I have done one 100km ride along beach road already and a few 20-70km rides. I just learnt to ride with clip-ins this week! I find that I'm not at the level where I can comfortably join any intermediate group rides (as their requirement is speed around 30 and I'm averaging 22-23) but I'm also not interested in joining the slow beginner rides as I feel I've progressed past that. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? How do all the cyclists I see bunch riding on the roads come together as a group? Cheers!

P!N20

Re: Road cycling buddy or group rides

Postby P!N20 » Mon May 02, 2022 11:03 am

Hi Bike_girl, roughly what location are you? I usually ride solo so I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I'll have a crack.

Often bike shops organise a weekly bunch ride, or if they don't, they'll know who does. It would be worth dropping in to your LBS and ask the question.

You could join your local bicycle club. Although bike clubs lean towards racing, most have a more relaxed social group as well - and racers have got to train, right? I'm sure you could 'try before you buy' to see if it suits you.

I'm sure most group rides are organised through Facebook, so have a look there if you haven't already.

Otherwise, depending on your location perhaps some forum members can suggest something.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Edit: Women's specific cycling apparel Fondo organise group rides in Melbourne, might be worth touching base with them to see what they've got coming up: https://fondo.com.au/

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed May 04, 2022 5:08 pm

Bike_girl wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:42 pm
Hi there, I'm a female Melbourne cyclist and relatively new to cycling (started a few months ago). I'm keen to join a cycling group or find some cycling buddies in my area who are interested in meeting on a regular basis. Would love to build my confidence on the road and push myself to go further and faster. I have done one 100km ride along beach road already and a few 20-70km rides. I just learnt to ride with clip-ins this week! I find that I'm not at the level where I can comfortably join any intermediate group rides (as their requirement is speed around 30 and I'm averaging 22-23) but I'm also not interested in joining the slow beginner rides as I feel I've progressed past that. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? How do all the cyclists I see bunch riding on the roads come together as a group? Cheers!

100km already, that's a solid effort!!!

Definitely call several local bike stores, and as linked above, look for "cycle touring" groups as they are often into longer group rides, but at lower pace. Larger groups will self sort into differently paced groups. I ride in the slow group with my bunch but admittedly, there aren't many of us as more serious cyclists tend to go faster, but my body isn't built for that :D I'm all enthusiasm, no talent/muscle!

My top tip for new riders with clip in pedals is use an allen key to wind off the spring tension so it's really easy to unclip. At some point we've all had an embarrassing slow speed "clip stack" where you topple over still attached to your bike :mrgreen:
Then tighten to your preference once unclipping becomes second nature.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Bike_girl

Postby Bike_girl » Wed May 04, 2022 11:06 pm

Thank you all so much for kindly taking the time to respond to me!! I really appreciate it. I gained something from each response. I’m excited to keep going with it and getting more comfortable with my clip-ins each day. Cycling has changed my life and I’m thrilled to explore some of the options you have suggested. Happy cycling to you all and enjoy the rest of your week :)

fat and old

Postby fat and old » Sun May 22, 2022 9:33 am

Bike_girl wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 6:42 pm
How do all the cyclists I see bunch riding on the roads come together as a group? Cheers!
Quite often by symbiosis. Ride along at your own pace, and sooner or later someone or some group will pass you at a speed you think you can handle. As they pass, if they look like your type ask if you can jump on. More often than not at that level the answer will be sure, so get into the back (where it'll be easier) and if they are swapping turns at the front your turn will come. Ride a stretch, then swap out, go to the back and start again. Most likely they'll be side by side, so if you're inclined have a talk. If they're not swapping turns beauty, take it easy and enjoy that!

Pay attention to what's going on around you. Don't get your wheel too close to another. If it's too much effort just ease off out the back, and try again another time. Same goes if they don't seem to be a group you want to be riding with after a while, just roll off the back and let 'em go.

Great place for this is Beach Rd (Point Nepean Rd) from say Mornington to Sorrento. Lots of groups of women young and old getting about down here if you're more comfy with females to start off with. All friendly types from my experience, and all levels of fitness.

Frankiepap39

Postby Frankiepap39 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:06 pm

I've just started cuckoo too and basically ride solo. Just joined zwift and a budget smart trainer for the social aspect but would like to get out and do more group rides

Frankiepap39

Postby Frankiepap39 » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:57 am

Frankiepap39 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:06 pm
I've just started cuckoo too and basically ride solo. Just joined zwift and a budget smart trainer for the social aspect but would like to get out and do more group rides
cycling is what i mean to say... swiping for text has its own language on your phone!