Rain Jacket Recommendations

Condor_Italia

Rain Jacket Recommendations

Postby Condor_Italia » Sun May 15, 2022 8:50 pm

Hi,

What will keep me dry/dryish in Perth thats not going to make me boil that won't break the bank, not cheap but not over $250

I commute to work 20km each way into the city.
Sometimes I have a back pack.

I also do the river loop on the weekends.
Looking for a jacket that's waterproof that will allow for the commute and Sunday rides

HappyHumber

Re: Rain Jacket Recommendations

Postby HappyHumber » Mon May 16, 2022 2:11 pm

TBH, with Perth rain patterns being what they are, I think your end-of-trip facilities and the ability to dry stuff out during the day/overnight is often more the issue. If the forecast is for steady rain in the morning and arvo (which is the rarer days) I'd fall back to Commute Plan B or C.

I find myself using my Ground Effect Flash Gordon more as anti-chill jacket more than a rain proof one. Disclaimer: I did buy mine about 12 years ago and they were the best part of $AUD 100 cheaper. Ground Effect kit is damn good quality though.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Condor_Italia

Postby Condor_Italia » Mon May 16, 2022 2:43 pm

Pretty good end of trip, showers locker drying cupboard well heated room.

I was thinking this
https://www.this link is broken/dhb-flashlight-spectrum-jacket

Or this, but not sure if it's worth the extra bucks
https://www.this link is broken/dhb-aeron-temp ... f-jacket-1
Probably wouldn't be able to ride with a bag on this one

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Mon May 16, 2022 3:13 pm

People who have dished out for something that's specifically "breathable" may defend their investment, but I find you sweat regardless and I always like to hang my stuff out to air during the day - regardless of the weather. It makes kitting up again to ride home just that bit more pleasurable if it's not manky still from the morning.

On longer, recreational rides when I get caught out in the rain - I find getting some part of you wet is unavoidable, it is more staying warm is the issue. As long as you're moving ( i.e. exerting yourself) to counteract the cold it's OK. When you stop, a non-breathable jacket keeps the warmth in, even though it's a 'warm wet', it's still better than a 'cold wet'.

If I was replacing my GE tomorrow; I'd lean towards something with vent zips and maybe removable sleeves. The ability or feature of a jacket to roll up on itself and be self contained (eg. a rear pocket becomes its own pouch with everything turned inside out) is also a great feature I'd look for again too.

I think cheaper of those 2 Wiggle options would be fine. Just keep it simple, as they say
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Mon May 16, 2022 9:45 pm

Spent a few years commuting 45km one way by motorcycle no matter what the weather in Perth. Kit choice was treated motor cycle leathers which were water resistant or nylon drysuit (waterproof but sweaty) when it was really pouring down. The drysuit got less than five outings a year.

Now commute by bike (depending on training schedule), for those foul weather days I have a plan B, swap the day out for another and use the old drysuit to commute by bike to the train station 1.6km away.

Mild wet weather days, I will use a DWR treated jersey usually short sleeves (ie Black Sheep Elements, Castelli Gabba or Perfecto), DWR treated bibs shorts and shoe covers.

Cold add DWR treated arm warmers or long sleeve jersey/jacket.

Threat of rain, do away with shoe covers.

Risk of rain just pack a Galibier VentUltra in a back pocket.

My commutes double as training rides, as 32km is uninterrupted PSP, so lots of intervals and sweat.

Rarely use a backpack.

At work I have emergency base layer, socks and bibs (never had to use, see below) and old rain jacket (which I have used)

If kit gets wet (or soaked in sweat in summer) rinse, roll in towel, walk full length of towel, hang to dry.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Mon May 16, 2022 11:05 pm

Firstly, proper mudguards removes a huge amount of incoming water. If there's just a bit of rain, a waterproof gillet keeps the core from getting cold.

Rain actually falling properly: currently running a DHB Aeron 37.5 (I think) not-quite-Gortex jacket. Certainly works, compared to "water proofs" I've had before in which I steam. Eventually (i.e. a wet trip to rotto in a 18-footer) water comes in through the zipper. Still, not to be zipped up above 20C (and I'm not producing lots of watts). Unfortunately, this seems to be one area where $$$ (classically Gortex) is needed to get a decent outcome.

I do add a disposable showercap over the helmet which still stops most of drenching. (I'd love something a little more durable with a "duck tail" to stop the inevitable water-down-the-back-of-the-neck )

Wet shoes (on the way home) are the serious annoyance. Overbooties help (a lot) but so far I've not found "the ones". Spare dry socks substitute

For serious dryness (with proper mudguards) I've got a Grunden's rain cape (via Rivendell) but I've not yet had an opportunity to try it out (I have a 60kph downhill section on my normal commute and I'm not going to trial it on that :-) ).

At the other extreme, some days I've contemplated just throwing on a wetsuit top. The Castelli Perfetto range sort of does something similar.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 am

Thoglette wrote: At the other extreme, some days I've contemplated just throwing on a wetsuit top. The Castelli Perfetto range sort of does something similar.

I bought a Castelli Perfetto long sleeved jacket back in 2017.
I was very skeptical of it's claimed breathability and water (not proof) resistance. Having worn cheaper softshell jackets I'd experienced the stew in my own juices thing.
The Perfetto is DWR treated and sheds water (even 5 years later) but leaks through the seams in heavier rain. The later models have taped seams.
The jacket does breath. Very effectively. It also has pit zips providing extra ventilation. I've become a convert to these jackets. Not cheap but considering the durability they are good value. I bought another one 2 years later.
I wear these jackets on a 4 -6 days/week basis, all year round in temperatures ranging from about 4C to 20C, in dry and/or humid conditions. Shorts and a cotton T shirt base in summer. Tights and a thermal or merino base in winter. The Perfetto blocks wind chill.
They work very well for me.

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue May 17, 2022 7:46 am

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Tue May 17, 2022 12:36 pm

Just been through the exercise ... I am a heavy sweater and havent found a rain coat that keeps me dry.
I was using a Ground Effect Rivett for years, the seam tape has gone and will send it back to get fixed ($25) and this will still be my goto commuter jacket with a backpack but for bikepacking where I dont have the luxury of having clothes drying out during the day or when not using a backpack I just bought a Montbell Versalite. Used it on Sunday for the first time and arms still sweated a bit but otherwise the dryist I have been after a wet ride. It was not cheap, $399 for the US version which has the arm pit vents, but heading back to NZ where the dryist month we will only have 15 wet days on average, it will be nice to not have to put wet clothes on the next morning
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue May 17, 2022 2:07 pm

Tim wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 7:29 am
Thoglette wrote: At the other extreme, some days I've contemplated just throwing on a wetsuit top. The Castelli Perfetto range sort of does something similar.
I bought a Castelli Perfetto long sleeved jacket back in 2017.
They work very well for me.
Sounds even better than the review I originally read a while back.

Unfortunately technical rain gear seems to be one of those times when the $$$$ price tag is justified.

I have to get some proper gloves this winter and that means I will have to pay the Gortex tax
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Tim

Postby Tim » Tue May 17, 2022 3:22 pm

^^^^

As I'm approaching the sixth winter in my first Perfetto and fourth in the other I consider the initially high combined cost of roughly $500 money well spent.
I wear the two on alternating days throughout the year. All but the warmest (>20C) and coldest (<4C) of days. Probably around 100 wearings each per year.
The fabric is still in excellent condition. Unaffected by UV, the elasticity/stretch is still good and there's no visible fabric or seam degradation. I only machine wash them once or twice a year but they don't pong, honest! I wear clean base layers daily.
This is one of the very few examples of a modern product living up to the marketing hype. I had to smirk at the loudly trumpeted "laser-cut rear pocket drain holes". If it weren't for that I doubt I'd have bought one in the first place. :)
High quality versatility and durability. Two qualities I seek from almost any purchase.The GoreTax is worth paying in this case.

Condor_Italia

Postby Condor_Italia » Wed May 18, 2022 4:36 pm

Thank you everyone for there input.

Do you wear a baselayer under the perfetto or a normal short sleeve cycling jersey?
Sounds like the way to go.

Wiggle have the yellow flor one for $185 vs $353 for other colours.

Hoping the XL fits as I am 166.5cm and 104cm chest with a bit of a belly

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed May 18, 2022 4:56 pm

For those who own a Perfetto, how is sizing vs the size chart on their website?

Tim

Postby Tim » Wed May 18, 2022 5:49 pm

Condor_Italia wrote: Do you wear a baselayer under the perfetto or a normal short sleeve cycling jersey?
Sounds like the way to go.
In summer just a plain old cotton T shirt. Winter a poly or merino thermal (sometimes both), long sleeves. No need to wear cycle specific gear underneath as the Perfetto has pockets, with laser cut drain holes. :lol:
Retrobyte wrote: For those who own a Perfetto, how is sizing vs the size chart on their website?
I wear a medium size but I'm not very big. 168cm tall, 60kg, 76cm in the waist and about 95cm around the chest. They're meant to be a close fit. Mine fit perfectly.
Last edited by Tim on Wed May 18, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed May 18, 2022 5:54 pm

Lots of great comments here. I agree mudguards make a huge difference and that rain gear keeps you warm, but not dry.

I have the more expensive of the dhb Aeron rain jackets, in the orange colour, and find it's pretty good. Breathable. Subtle hi-vis panels that work well at night. Works just as well as the old Ground Effect jacket I had, but without the flappy parachute sleeves, but also without the ability to zip them off.

The GE unit's inside surface had started to break up after a few years making me look like I had life-threatening dandruff. The same thing happened with a set of their rain shorts - twice - so I am no longer a GE customer.

Condor_Italia

Postby Condor_Italia » Wed May 18, 2022 8:58 pm

How quickly does the Perfetto dry?
Will it be dry after a good mornings soaking in the afternoon?

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Thu May 19, 2022 2:06 pm

Tim wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 3:22 pm
I wear the two on alternating days throughout the year. All but the warmest (>20C) and coldest (<4C) of days.
Long sleeve or short sleeve?

Only because I find by long sleeve perfecto, too warm to wear when the temperature is over 7C.

Note I do seem to be more tolerant than most to cold weather (rarely gets to 0C in Perth's Southern suburbs) and I expect to be cold on my 15 minute "warmup" because the next hour of my commute is a workout where I do not want to overheat.

For me with Castelli products that work well
11-15C short sleeve Perfecto, light base layer, fingerless gloves
6-10C Gabba (which is almost identical in thickness to long sleeve Perfecto), light base layer, Nanoflex arm warmers and lightweight full finger gloves.
2-5C long sleeve Perfecto, long sleeve merino base layer, under gloves + full finger gloves.

Sizing
at 184cm 77kg 95cm chest
I like tight race fit
Gabba M (went down a size, and fits like second skin over base layer)
short sleeve Perfecto L (regular size in Castelli jerseey for me)
long sleeve Perfecto XL (no idea why I sized up here, except maybe got it at end of season clearance at really good price, not baggy)

Tim

Postby Tim » Thu May 19, 2022 3:20 pm

nickobec wrote: Tim wrote: ↑
Tue May 17, 2022 3:22 pm
I wear the two on alternating days throughout the year. All but the warmest (>20C) and coldest (<4C) of days.

Long sleeve or short sleeve?

Only because I find by long sleeve perfecto, too warm to wear when the temperature is over 7C.

Note I do seem to be more tolerant than most to cold weather (rarely gets to 0C in Perth's Southern suburbs) and I expect to be cold on my 15 minute "warmup" because the next hour of my commute is a workout where I do not want to overheat.

Gawd, at 7C I'm starting to think it's time for something warmer than the Perfetto, but I can tolerate a little cooler in it. Riding hard in my long sleeved jacket I'm comfortable up to 16-18C and not overheating. Up to 20C riding casually as I do most of the time.
At 58kg currently I don't tolerate the cold very well at all. No padding. :D
I don't seem to sweat very heavily on the bike either.

Condor_Italia

Postby Condor_Italia » Thu May 19, 2022 8:07 pm

I have heard from a few people that the Perfetto either fits you or it does not.
Also wondering if it will be to warm for me, I over heat in my old gore windstoper

So I have ordered another jacket as well to compare and I will send back the one I dont like
dhb Aeron Tempo FLT Waterproof Jacket

My commute is 20km down the PSP into the city from Cockburn and I use them as training rides.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Fri May 20, 2022 8:29 am

I bit the bullet and ordered a Perfetto last night. Probikekit have 20% off at the moment. I was limited in colour choice and sizes because stocks seem low at most places. I've gone with 3XL based on chest measurement, fingers crossed the size chart is accurate

Condor_Italia

Postby Condor_Italia » Sun May 22, 2022 1:01 pm

So the Perfetto arrived from wiggle this morning size XL, normal I am a medium/large in others.

Arm are really tight can just get the I there and the zip there is no way it's going to zip up.
So will return it, the yellow fluro is really bright and the jacket looks great quality.

Wiggle are charging me $29.99 AUD to return item postage :(

Hopefully the next jacket which is due to arrive soon fits

nickobec

Postby nickobec » Sun May 22, 2022 9:10 pm

Condor_Italia wrote:
Sun May 22, 2022 1:01 pm
So will return it, the yellow fluro is really bright and the jacket looks great quality.
Should of warned you about yellow fluro Perfecto/Gabba

Bought a Gabba 2 in fluro yellow when it first came out. First ride in rain, rode without mudguards, ended up with thick black stripe of road gunk down my back. It took a lot of work to get it out (probably took a some of the DWR coating with it). So now ride with mudguards or only light rain forecast.

caneye

Postby caneye » Thu May 26, 2022 1:12 pm

hey guys .. this local online shop has the short-sleeve Perfetto at $139 only. https://www.openroadcycles.com.au/colle ... i/perfetto

good luck with sizing though.

over the years, the gabba became gabba2 then became Perfetto and Gabba range evolved into something else .. and there's perfetto light, ROS .. bah, it's too confusing for me to keep up.

Anyway .. i had the same issue with fluoro 5yo Gabba getting all smeared on the back in damp conditions. The newer Perfetto fluoro short-sleeve is black on the back to address this issue.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:15 pm

Just adding my 2c.

I have access to EOT and drying cupboards and ride with a backpack.

Ive been using the Pearl Izumi Barrier Elite jacket, keeps my chest pretty warm and dry even in the heavier falls but the arms still get soaked. So you will get wet.

I do run hot so if im using the jacket, ill usually just wear a base layer, no need for a jersey.

Rolls up small so i always keep it in a pocket of my backpack in case i get caught out.

Also in my backpack is a pair of full length Velotoze, i find the only solution to really keep water out of your shoes in heavy down pours. Pain to put on/take off, but worth it.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:31 pm

As a long time rider in the past and one who commuted for around three decades and then EVERY working day of the year over almost a decade, until someone comes out with a plastic jacket that also has portable forced fan ventilation, I can state with some confidence that there is no such thing as a keep-you-dry / not-hot-and-humid solution.

See my post in viewtopic.php?f=77&t=106453&sid=9013020 ... 2695346bb5 and read the link I include there for an understanding of the difficulties.

Or just take your lead from snow skiers. High-density-weave synthetics and with lots of zips and openings. For cold weather the same but with some bulky wicking material inside - not so great for riding but when it's zero degrees ...

Well fitted out EOT facilities are good too.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle