Wiggle/Chain Reaction owner Signa Sports sales up 48% but lost 37 million euros

Ross

Wiggle/Chain Reaction owner Signa Sports sales up 48% but lost 37 million euros

Postby Ross » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:37 am

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/interna ... s-sales-48
BERLIN (BRAIN) — E-commerce retailer Signa Sports United reported its first quarterly results that included numbers from WiggleCRC and Tennis Express, which it acquired in December. Quarterly sales were up 48%to 269 million euros ($288 million).

The company recorded a net loss of 37 million euros, compared to a net loss of 11 million euros in the same quarter last year.

Total visits to its e-commerce sites were 78.9 million, up 28% from the same period last year. Net orders were up 55% while net order value went down 4.5% to 102 euros.

The company said it continued to suffer from full bike and e-bike shortages and other economic challenges.

MichaelB

Re: Wiggle/Chain Reaction owner Signa Sports sales up 48% but lost 37 million euros

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 21, 2023 12:23 pm

And now REALLY in the poo !!!

Lucky my last order just got delivered !!!!

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggle ... cial-woes/

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Wiggle/Chain Reaction owner Signa Sports sales up 48% but lost 37 million euros

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:05 pm

Signa files for insolvency in the US as the Berlin based HQ couldn’t close a 150 million euro funding / investment.

This is a disaster for cycling brands who are owed money… so a really bad roll-on effect that could put smaller brands into trouble.

Unfortunately also a customer beware… once the biggest online bike shops Wiggle and c r c appear to still be accepting orders. Customers who pay and do not receive goods would stand last in line for compensation if goods are not received. All existing customers with order issues (eg returns) could be stuck and warranty / garantee resolution (of purchases) typically woukd be directed directly to the brand if the seller is unable to resolve.
Cycling is in my BNA

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:25 pm

Bugger. Have bought quite a bit of gear through them and really like their DHB bibs. Also have 5 of their Winter jackets. Price has been great (particularly on sale) and service reliable. Not happy to hear this. :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:50 pm

Hopefully someone steps up and buys it as a going concern.

I’ll keep my eye out to see what eventuates !

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:56 pm

From WW, it’s not just Wiggle/c r c, there are some others involved as well
Addnature.com
Ballside.de
Bikester.com
Bruegelmann.de
Campz.de
this link is broken
Cycles-for-heroes.com
Fahrrad.de
Ortler-rad.at
Padel-point.de
Probikeshop.com
Redcycling.de
Serious-Cycles.com
Tennis-Point.de
Tennispro.eu
Tennisexpress.com
Vermont-bikes.de
Votec.de
this link is broken

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:21 pm

Damn, I was wanting to buy a pair of their Prime handlebars, probably best not to now.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:21 am

blizzard wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:21 pm
Damn, I was wanting to buy a pair of their Prime handlebars, probably best not to now.
Buy them when they are on fire sale prices.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

ningnangnong

Postby ningnangnong » Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:52 am

Well this is crap news. Like warthog, I'm a big fan of the DHB bibs.

Even have a $100 birthday voucher for c r c I am yet to use.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:31 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:21 am
blizzard wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 9:21 pm
Buy them when they are on fire sale prices.
That's the plan now. Hopefully they will actually turn up.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:49 pm

AUbicycles wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:05 pm
Unfortunately also a customer beware… once the biggest online bike shops Wiggle and c r c appear to still be accepting orders. Customers who pay and do not receive goods would stand last in line for compensation if goods are not received. All existing customers with order issues (eg returns) could be stuck and warranty / garantee resolution (of purchases) typically woukd be directed directly to the brand if the seller is unable to resolve.
Buy it on credit card if you're risking it. I personally won't - I lost about $450 in car parts when a well known Valiant parts business went under a few years back. Joined the creditor list, saw absolutely nothing. The customers are always the last paid back.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:57 am

ningnangnong wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:52 am
Well this is crap news. Like warthog, I'm a big fan of the DHB bibs.

Even have a $100 birthday voucher for c r c I am yet to use.
That sucks.

Might as well try and use it and see what happens, as if the company does get sold, often the vouchers are null & void :cry:

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:15 pm

So, is there any explanation as to WHY they've run out of money? I've certainly sent a lot of money their way over the years, and have always been more than impressed by their range, prices and customer service.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:20 am

Mububban wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:15 pm
So, is there any explanation as to WHY they've run out of money? I've certainly sent a lot of money their way over the years, and have always been more than impressed by their range, prices and customer service.
Seems that the ultimate Parent company is a Real Estate mob (I've seen elsewhere), and the holding company that owns all of the sports retail ones pulled the plug on their 150M Euro funding line, but haven't stated why.

Guess the $$ are just not flowing in the right direction !

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:06 pm

Black Friday sale starting early - up to 60% off

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:40 am

Thats a shame. The cost of bike parts is slowly rising and this isn't going to help.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:25 am

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggle ... cial-woes/
Internetstores GmbH, the European subsidiary of Signa Sport United N.V (SSU) has filed for insolvency, reports German website, Diebewertung.

In an application filed in the Stuttgart District Court, the news follows last week's news that the company was cancelling purchase orders with suppliers as it prepared to do so.
Internetstores is the umbrella company above more than 40 eCommerce brands across 15 European countries, many of which operate in the bike industry, including Probikeshop, Bikester, Fahrrad.de, Red Cycling Products, Fixie Inc, Vermont Bikes, Serious Cycles, Ortler, Votec, and Brugelmann. It is unclear what will happen with each of these individual entities.
Think there is a fair bit of stuff still to come out, sadly.

The Inetrnetstores mob reportedly employed 600 people.

What really surprises me is the speed of which the insolvency has happened and spread, and just how many 'entities' are impacted.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:42 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:20 am
Mububban wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:15 pm
Seems that the ultimate Parent company is a Real Estate mob (I've seen elsewhere), and the holding company that owns all of the sports retail ones pulled the plug on their 150M Euro funding line, but haven't stated why.

Guess the $$ are just not flowing in the right direction !
small part of a very large business empire...article linked below reports:

"Of the original €150 million commitment, €143 million remains undrawn to date"

so rather than support the businesses it looks very cut and run what looks like a working capital requirement is probably pretty small for the businesses concerned unless withdrawing the credit line meant other lenders got cold feet

https://cyclingindustry.news/wiggle-c r c ... rmination/

Edit: I'm not an expert on balance sheets but looking at their US financial quarterly reporting for Signa Sports United the holding co the Euro150m was in addition to Euro130m put into co' in 2022 which looking at the negative free cash flow prediction would be burnt through in the next few months...

https://investor.signa-sportsunited.com ... fault.aspx

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:45 pm

Less that 2 years ago !

"Welcome a new $1 billion-plus player to the bike industry."

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/interna ... elleration
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

grt046

Postby grt046 » Sat Oct 28, 2023 12:56 pm

Now in administration according to GCN report with huge stock holding to shift
Giant Defy Advanced 1 (2014) Orbea Gain M20 (2021)

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:22 pm

Yep - Wiggle in administration & rest of group is expected to follow suit, with the lot up for sale as administrators step in
Anything you can do, I can do slower

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:34 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:22 pm
Yep - Wiggle in administration & rest of group is expected to follow suit, with the lot up for sale as administrators step in
As much as they say it business as usual, I wouldn’t be buying anything atm.
Even if it is a great deal !

Comedian

Postby Comedian » Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:44 pm

I'll miss Wiggle if it disappears. It hasn't quite been what it was in the early days since GST and geofencing - but I still find it useful from time to time.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:34 am

A long post/article (that I am reading through), but really shows that even the Overall company owner of the mess is also at major risk. Article is from LinkedIn and is by Jacob Dudek, who was the VP of Commercial Operations at SIGNA Sports United before he lost his job amid the turmoil :!:

eeeeeek

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/postmort ... dek-xau9f/

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Nov 09, 2023 7:29 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:34 am
A long post/article (that I am reading through), but really shows that even the Overall company owner of the mess is also at major risk. Article is from LinkedIn and is by Jacob Dudek, who was the VP of Commercial Operations at SIGNA Sports United before he lost his job amid the turmoil :!:

eeeeeek

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/postmort ... dek-xau9f/
Yikes ! What a read.
I guess that I probably understand about 5 % of what is written, but enough to realise that big business is a very complex place
And that’s putting it mildly.