Climbing loop around Kings Park

Mububban

Climbing loop around Kings Park

Postby Mububban » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:12 pm

Can anyone recommend a good challenging climbing route through or around Kings Park? The more detailed directions the better, as I have a terrible sense of direction, but have had to become ride leader for my group after our regular leader moved interstate :shock:

Group riders are happy to do more climbing than we've done previously, so I'm looking for some elevation challenges beyond the normal "cruise out to Midland then head for the hills" for something different. Got plenty of known routes out that way.

We'd be coming from the northern suburbs, we ride and return within 2 hours, so are after maybe 30-40 minutes of climbing workout (we are slow but steady :)

Thanks!
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

fixed

Re: Climbing loop around Kings Park

Postby fixed » Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:56 am

Northern suburbs?
Why not explore the sand dune suburbs of Scarborough, Innaloo, Wembley Downs and City Beach?
Ewen Street from Scarb Beach Rd has some nice kicks >10% in it. Then roll down Brighton St and turn around for a longer lower gradient back up to the water tower.
Williamstown and Rosewood is a good 8% climb from Pearson St.
Hale Rd both sides from West Coast Highway to Pearson St and return, though the lights on Weaponess can be annoying.
Durston Rd from Empire to The Boulevarde, Kalinda to Oceanic.
Oceanic Dr up to Reabold Hill, both sides though the eastern approach 8% is only uphill, do not ride down.
Lemnos St Shenton Park then onto Alfred Rd Claremont back to West Coast Hwy.
Alfred, Narla, Devon up to Shenton Rd is fun

Kings Park - do multiple repeats of Mount St >13%
From Wadjuk Carpark any number of loops combining Lovekin, May and Forrest.
Or just do the ATTA time trial, the sausage circuit of Lovekin - the fifth repeat at race pace should deliver what you are looking for :D
https://www.strava.com/segments/826972?filter=overall
The KOM is held by Australian TT champion Luke Durbridge
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:22 am

fixed wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 11:56 am
Northern suburbs?
Why not explore the sand dune suburbs of Scarborough, Innaloo, Wembley Downs and City Beach?
Because I've already got a few routes mapped out there already :)
Ewen Street from Scarb Beach Rd has some nice kicks >10% in it. Then roll down Brighton St and turn around for a longer lower gradient back up to the water tower.
Williamstown and Rosewood is a good 8% climb from Pearson St.
Hale Rd both sides from West Coast Highway to Pearson St and return, though the lights on Weaponess can be annoying.
Durston Rd from Empire to The Boulevarde, Kalinda to Oceanic.
Oceanic Dr up to Reabold Hill, both sides though the eastern approach 8% is only uphill, do not ride down.
Lemnos St Shenton Park then onto Alfred Rd Claremont back to West Coast Hwy.
Alfred, Narla, Devon up to Shenton Rd is fun
But I'll try and add some of these in too - thanks! My ride mates may hate you :mrgreen:

Kings Park - do multiple repeats of Mount St >13%
From Wadjuk Carpark any number of loops combining Lovekin, May and Forrest.
Or just do the ATTA time trial, the sausage circuit of Lovekin - the fifth repeat at race pace should deliver what you are looking for :D
https://www.strava.com/segments/826972?filter=overall
The KOM is held by Australian TT champion Luke Durbridge
Thanks for those, I'll look them up. I never go into the city so although I know there are some gnarly roads around there, I don't really know which ones and where and names, or how to best get there.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

hiflange

Postby hiflange » Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:09 pm

My favourite Kings Park loop; https://www.strava.com/segments/2824605
You could also consider including the Reabold Hill climb, short and sharp, great views to the southeast as you climb; https://www.strava.com/segments/635174