EXERCISE - General articles and studies

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

EXERCISE - General articles and studies

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:30 pm

Like many who are interested in cycling, I'm also interested in general health. As some may know, I have an interest in healthy eating. In my search for articles of interest on various sites, I sometimes come across interesting general exercise articles. In the past, I thought of sharing some of them on these forums. But there was no specific thread for this. So now there is.

Like the one below, they may not always be positive. But hopefully are interesting and/or informative to some nonetheless.

Endurance exercise may affect body's largest artery differently in men and women - University College London

Nobody

Re: EXERCISE - General articles and studies

Postby Nobody » Sat Apr 08, 2023 5:51 am

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:26 am

Thanks very interesting! :)

This bit at the end was very pertinent;

Oh, absolutely. Our underlying physiology, our genetics, requires us to be physically active every single day for a large part of the day. Our body expects that. And that's why pretty much all of the chronic diseases that we now face, particularly cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, type two diabetes, are due to the fact that we're flying in the face of our underlying genetic makeup.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:31 am

Here is the 2016 catalyst programme mentioned at the start.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:30 pm

Thanks for posting WH1.

More proof of another lifestyle factor helping. Hopefully it's additive to other lifestyle factor improvements.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:45 pm

Nobody wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:30 pm
Thanks for posting WH1.

More proof of another lifestyle factor helping. Hopefully it's additive to other lifestyle factor improvements.
Mate, thankyou!
More motivation for me to keep plodding along at an ever decreasing pace. :( :lol:

It is great for my mental health but there is a strong familial hx of Ca in my family.
More reason to get out there. I enjoy it anyway but this helps. :wink:

Tim

Postby Tim » Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:34 am

I find it interesting that our 200-300,000 years of hunter/gathering evolutionary history has shaped us into being potentially well adapted low intensity athletes. That is, we've evolved into this type, and our biology and physiology requires us to perform and move as such to maintain good health.

Ignoring the last few centuries, insignificant in an evolutionary sense, several hundred thousands of years of daily foraging, tree climbing, digging, scratching around on the ground and all-day tracking, walking and out-running prey is how our bodies (and brains) are meant to function.

Also of interest to me is the the connection between our background as hunters and gatherers and the current research on the benefits of training techniques involving mostly long steady low intensity (zone 2) effort for 80% of the time, broken up with 20% medium to high levels of effort. Mirroring precisely the exertion levels experienced in our former style of living. Our modern lifestyles run counter to our intended purpose. It's why as a society we are so sick, depressed and anxious. Modern life is anything but natural.

It makes me wonder whether the recommended and seldom achieved 150 minutes of exercise a week might be woefully inadequate. I'm inclined to think 150 minutes a day is a better target. Two and a half hours of daily low to medium effort movement isn't really very much, nor that hard to achieve.

This is a good read; https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -exercise/

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 8:59 am

Tim wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 3:34 am
I find it interesting that our 200-300,000 years of hunter/gathering evolutionary history has shaped us into being potentially well adapted low intensity athletes. That is, we've evolved into this type, and our biology and physiology requires us to perform and move as such to maintain good health.

Ignoring the last few centuries, insignificant in an evolutionary sense, several hundred thousands of years of daily foraging, tree climbing, digging, scratching around on the ground and all-day tracking, walking and out-running prey is how our bodies (and brains) are meant to function.

Also of interest to me is the the connection between our background as hunters and gatherers and the current research on the benefits of training techniques involving mostly long steady low intensity (zone 2) effort for 80% of the time, broken up with 20% medium to high levels of effort. Mirroring precisely the exertion levels experienced in our former style of living. Our modern lifestyles run counter to our intended purpose. It's why as a society we are so sick, depressed and anxious. Modern life is anything but natural.

It makes me wonder whether the recommended and seldom achieved 150 minutes of exercise a week might be woefully inadequate. I'm inclined to think 150 minutes a day is a better target. Two and a half hours of daily low to medium effort movement isn't really very much, nor that hard to achieve.

This is a good read; https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... -exercise/
Thanks Tim. More motivation :)
That was a good read! ;)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:28 pm

Exercise didn't help someone I knew who got worse and worse and eventually died from cancer.

He was already extremely fit before cancer took hold, fast rider and did plenty of running.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:52 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:28 pm

Exercise didn't help someone I knew who got worse and worse and eventually died from cancer.

He was already extremely fit before cancer took hold, fast rider and did plenty of running.
Does any treatment work 100% of the time in 100% of patients?
The point made, with data to support it, was that it is beneficial for many.

Sorry to hear about the person you knew.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:24 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:28 pm

Sad to hear this, since I have 4 tumours (that I know of, could be more) currently according to a MRI. However lifestyle is multi-facorial. The known aspects of it are exercise, diet, sleep, mental disposition/stress (a hard one to master) and a sense of sprirituality. There a probably others, but that's all I can think of at the moment. One really needs to make major changes to just about every aspect of their life. Even if you can master them all, you can still lose the battle. Cancer is like that.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:52 am

warthog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:26 am
Oh, absolutely. Our underlying physiology, our genetics, requires us to be physically active every single day for a large part of the day. Our body expects that.
I've wondered if 1-2 hours each morning offsets the effects of being sedentary for the remainder of the day. I hope so..

I have a feeling that a day containing no specific exercise, but working a job that requires constant movement e.g. a waiter serving tables, would probably be better than me riding hard for 2 hours in the morning, followed by me sitting at my desk for 8 hours.

vbplease

Postby vbplease » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:58 am

Nobody wrote:
Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:24 pm
Sad to hear this, since I have 4 tumours (that I know of, could be more) currently according to a MRI. However lifestyle is multi-facorial. The known aspects of it are exercise, diet, sleep, mental disposition/stress (a hard one to master) and a sense of sprirituality.
Wishing you all the best with your journey in conquering your tumours!
I agree with the sentiment regarding 'spirituality'.. I've read that cancer doesn't thrive when there is love. Focusing on giving/receiving love from family/friends is key. :wink:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:01 pm

Thanks vbplease. I appreciate the thought. :)

Below is an article on the all important question of the role of exercise in weight loss.
Does exercise help you lose weight? - The Conversation

As someone who is well read on the subject of weight loss and lost about a quarter of my original overweight bodyweight and kept it off for 9.5 years, below is my take on exercise's role.

Exercise has a usually minor role in helping to lose weight and keep it off. The mechanism is not what people usually think it is and its role is exaggerated. When we exercise, the body generally uses energy more efficiently while exercising. Also people unconsciously move less after exercising. So the calorie in versus calorie out equation is generally less than people think. However, exercise helps with mental disposition, which helps with better food choices associated with weight loss. So it's more about changing your mindset with exercise, rather than the physical burning of energy. Some people have success with exercise, while others don't. I believe a factor in this is what attitude individuals have toward food in relation to exercise. If you're the kind of person who exercises and thinks you've burnt 2000 Cal and then go and reward yourself with "treats", or extra (usually processed) food. Then IMO you're less likely to have long term success. It seems obvious when I spell it out here. But that's the way a lot of people think. There is at least one study that showed weight loss is about (on average) 78% diet and 22% exercise. So sure exercise usually helps, but it's not the critical component that most people think it is.