The council heeded my complaint and have fixed (mainly) the hazard:

elantra

Re: Council Genius Moves - Bikeways

Postby elantra » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:01 pm

redsonic wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:45 pm
Update on this genius piece of infrastructure:

The council heeded my complaint and have fixed (mainly) the hazard:

Good one, looks like the dingoes are happy with it as well. Kudos.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:04 pm

One of the dogs has morphed from a Border Terrier to a Miniature Schnauzer, but yes, the dogs can't resist new green grass :wink:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 pm

They've made a reasonable attempt there, probably the best that could be done without removing the stormwater drain.

Just received notice that the bikeway through White's Hill will now receive two swinging Koala proof gates. While I appreciate the need for safety for the local animals, that seems a little excessive. Particularly when the bikeway is literally at the edge of quite a large nature reserve and you would think they'd build the koala proof fence on that side of the bikeway facing the reserve.

On the positive side my KOMs through there will be safe for all perpetuity.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:01 pm

during the feb 22 Brisbane floods, a "bike lane" sign was remove from the end of riverside drive. of course after the clean up, it was not reinstated.
logged a case, included a screenshot from google street view, and without any comms, the sign has returned. now some enforcement of the bike lane would be a great. we also need a bike lane ends sign. that i'm not worried about as much, however PMD riders may be
there's a perfectly good pedestrian path (pedestrian only) 5m to the left

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:25 pm

poorly resurfaced bikeway

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:01 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:26 pm
They've made a reasonable attempt there, probably the best that could be done without removing the stormwater drain.

Just received notice that the bikeway through White's Hill will now receive two swinging Koala proof gates. While I appreciate the need for safety for the local animals, that seems a little excessive. Particularly when the bikeway is literally at the edge of quite a large nature reserve and you would think they'd build the koala proof fence on that side of the bikeway facing the reserve.

On the positive side my KOMs through there will be safe for all perpetuity.
Would I be offending anyone if I said that is ludicrous ?
Are there many Koalas in White’s Hill Reserve ?
Is the presence of 2 Kola-proof gates going to be dangerous for humans ?

I sometimes think that Brisbanites have some sort of cultural cringe about Koalas - because there aren’t many Koalas in the greater Brisbane area and probably never have been because Koslas are so incredibly fussy about where they live.
I lived in Brisbane for decades and never ever saw a Koala - except at the Zoo.

Koalas seem common enough in a few other places in Australia- just not anywhere in the Greater Brisbane zone !
I have spent a LOT of time bushwalking in the MtCoottha forest park.
Never seen a Koala there.
I’ve been to Magnetic Island. Seen a few koalas each time without really trying.
Noosa National Park, seen Koalas.
Burleigh Heads, seen Koalas.
Years ago I went to see the finish of a stage of the Tour Down Under in the Adelaide hills, near Stirling. Set up a picnic table under the trees, sipping wine while awaiting the Peleton.
Lovely big gum trees, scary things that they are.
I swear that there was a koala in every gum tree beside the road on the last corner before the finishing straight.
Astonishing. One koala sighting up here and people just lose their minds.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:17 am

elantra wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:01 am
Would I be offending anyone if I said that is ludicrous ?
Are there many Koalas in White’s Hill Reserve ?
Is the presence of 2 Kola-proof gates going to be dangerous for humans ?
No, I've seen a few but not many.

The bikeway in question is extremely narrow, poorly maintained, steep and twisty. The gates are extremely dangerous for humans and the alternative of riding on Boundary Road (steep, zero shoulder, very poor drivers) is not an alternative.

I agree we need to protect koalas but not as costs of human safety. Bizarrely there are plenty of signs in my neighbourhood saying 'slow down, koala died here' but very few at places pedestrians have been killed.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:44 pm

I've been meaning to photograph this one near me for a while, but never seem to have my phone on me.
Along the theme of "cyclists take responsibility for the dangers of cars" is this section of shared pathway:

Never mind that the "roadway" is actually a private driveway, and that drivers crossing the path are legally obliged to give way to cyclists, we demand instead that cyclists dismount so retirement village residents can use their driveway with confidence and convenience. I have never seen this sign used for a private drive before; including shopping centres, petrol stations etc. Is it saying something about the standard of driving expected at the village perhaps?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:47 pm

redsonic wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:44 pm
I've been meaning to photograph this one near me for a while, but never seem to have my phone on me.
Along the theme of "cyclists take responsibility for the dangers of cars" is this section of shared pathway:

Never mind that the "roadway" is actually a private driveway, and that drivers crossing the path are legally obliged to give way to cyclists, we demand instead that cyclists dismount so retirement village residents can use their driveway with confidence and convenience. I have never seen this sign used for a private drive before; including shopping centres, petrol stations etc. Is it saying something about the standard of driving expected at the village perhaps?
Has anyone questioned if that is legitimate council signage? Feels like something the premises installed.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:01 pm

familyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:47 pm
redsonic wrote:

Has anyone questioned if that is legitimate council signage? Feels like something the premises installed.
I've reported it to council just now. Had to go through many layers of drop down menu options (of course, there was no appropriate option to choose) before I could submit my comment and photos:
I'm objecting to the Cyclists Dismount sign on the shared pathway along Melaleuca St outside the Peninsula Palms Retirement Village Resident's Driveway. All vehicles using a driveway are required to give way to foot path users. The Dismount sign implies that cyclists need to give way to cars and greatly reduces the amenity of the cycling path.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:07 pm

Yeah, there's one of those signs near a school around the corner from my work.

The 'bike path' in question is actually a standard footpath and where it crosses the road they have a sign saying riders must dismount. Doesn't make it dangerous at all if you're riding along the road instead of on the pathetic 70cm wide footpath and drivers see it and think you should be walking your bike through there.

One of the many ways BCC actually makes things more dangerous for cyclists with their cycling infrastructure.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:19 pm

^^^no not seen anything quite so annoying or so basically wrong though warnings to cyclists rather than drivers are pretty common in Melbourne at car park entrance/exits and some laneways....I emailed the project engineer on this one as part of a major local shared use trail project:

"....Bit puzzled by what appear to be a sort of giveway line for users of the shared path - though I do understand that giving way to vehicles entering and exiting the premises is the safest option using markings in this way seems to contradict the concept of the trail and the road rules concept that vehicles entering/exiting premises give way to users on the footway - my feeling is that the dashed lines should be removed and the driveway marked in green paint with cyclist and pedestrian overlays as is normal at road junctions and enforcing the concept that vehicles should be giving way to trail users....."

Engineer replied and said would consult on changes...eventually I was told something along the lines that all parties had been consulted and the operators of the business premises were in favour of the current layout...so that's how it is

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:31 pm

I would think road rule https://legacy.legislation.nsw.gov.au/# ... iv3/rule74 would mean those markings on footpath are wrong

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:35 pm

am50em wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:31 pm
I would think road rule https://legacy.legislation.nsw.gov.au/# ... iv3/rule74 would mean those markings on footpath are wrong
agree. i wouldn't bother consulting the business. it's the council who manages everything past the letter box/fence

JPB

Postby JPB » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:33 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:35 pm
am50em wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:31 pm
agree. i wouldn't bother consulting the business. it's the council who manages everything past the letter box/fence
Exactly. Of course the business will say that.
And which of the other parties were consulted, how many cyclists and pedestrians?

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:02 pm

The solid timber fence right up to the property line blocking exiting drivers' view of the path says exactly how much the property owner cares about pedestrian/cyclist safety.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:52 am

redsonic wrote:

I reported this one to council and received the following reply yesterday:
Thank you for your correspondence dated 27 February 2024 requesting the removal of
CYCLISTS MUST DISMOUNT TO CROSS ROADWAY signage at the driveway of the
Peninsula Palms Retirement Village along Melaleuca Crescent, Rothwell.
Council officers have investigated your request and I can advise that a work order has been
created for the removal of these signs as cyclists are not required to dismount when crossing
residential driveways.
The sign had been there a while, judging by the rust stains. I guess if no one lets them know about these things, nothing will change. Good result.

am50em

Postby am50em » Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:57 am

Good work!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:00 am

great work. would have liked another line stating that communication has been sent to the business (a retirement village is a business) to remind them of the road rules.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:47 pm

Can they move the sign to back within the property and change it to "Motorists must exit the vehicle to check for cyclists"?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:13 pm

Very, very impressed, both with your diligence (Redsonic) and also the attention to detail of the Council Officers.
Cheers.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm

Excellent result, Redsonic.

What's to bet the retirement village put that sign up?

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:26 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm

102%. In response to a visitor making a complaint about "people not letting me get in".

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:10 pm

familyguy wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:26 pm
Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:14 pm

102%. In response to a visitor making a complaint about "people not letting me get in".
Well it doesn't exactly look busy. My guess is someone told them "a cyclist came out of nowhere and I almost hit them".

The crazy thing is that there is no need. Cars will be exiting going fowards; and as far as I can tell from the photos, there is plenty of space around the exit and visibility is very good (to the retirement village's credit).