Aussie Kickstarter "Flock Light" rear light/downlight

Mububban

Aussie Kickstarter "Flock Light" rear light/downlight

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:56 pm

Only just saw this mentioned online, the Kickstarter closes 3 hours after this post, but might be worth keeping an eye on as it's 4x over its basic funding goal. It has a downlight that illuminates your moving legs, making you more visible as a person. The Bio Motion principle of highlighting moving parts on your body, apparently more effective than static illumination.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pr ... -your-legs

Similar philosophy to the SeeMe 200 rear light I reviewed here:
https://www.bicycles.net.au/2020/10/rev ... ke-lights/

The Flock Light looks double the size of the Allty light I reviewed, so maybe it has extreme battery life? I can use the SeeMe 200 starting in pitch black at 5:30am with the downlight on, and return home 3.5 hours later with just the rear light on (downlight auto enables/disables using a light sensor), and not have the battery life indicator warning of low life.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

MichaelB

Re: Aussie Kickstarter "Flock Light" rear light/downlight

Postby MichaelB » Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:35 pm

Have seen the progress for a while (was on the mailing list), but at $120 - sheesh, it's exxy but also quite bulky ....

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:29 pm

I saw it and like the design - one of the advantages of my diy lights is that they light up my legs & enhance the movement.

I don't have a shot of my legs, but you should get the idea from this

The effect is largely achieved by a deodorant ball diffuser, or you can buy a purpose made diffuser for a few bucks

If you don't want to pay $120 or DIY the lights, a cheap alternative is to fit a diffuser to an otherwise cheap rear light, such as the Aldi ones
Anything you can do, I can do slower

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:56 am

Great to show off those calf tats, too.