Windproof Winter Gloves

ilovemybike

Windproof Winter Gloves

Postby ilovemybike » Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 pm

Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair of winter gloves that is windproof?

I brought a pair of these - they are pretty comfortable but I'm not sure they are windproof. I haven't been able to test it in this spring weather to be able to tell.

https://www.bellwetherclothing.com/prod ... eq=uniform

brumby33

Re: Windproof Winter Gloves

Postby brumby33 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:34 pm

ilovemybike wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 pm
Does anyone have any recommendations for a pair of winter gloves that is windproof?

I brought a pair of these - they are pretty comfortable but I'm not sure they are windproof. I haven't been able to test it in this spring weather to be able to tell.

They look pretty good, Bellwether is a pretty good brand, I've got a pair of their Nicks and are quite comfy and supportive so I can't see you doing too wrong with those. During the cold Winter Months when I was riding to work in 4C mornings at 5am, I mostly used some of my old winter Motorcycle Gloves and they were nice and toasty and water resistant.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:54 am

ilovemybike wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:34 pm

I bought a pair of those in June this year. Yes, I am in Brisbane, but this winter was the coldest since 1998 apparently. I was out in 7°C (feels like 3°C) temps and they were pretty good I thought. I usually ride in half-finger gloves, and these Climate Controls were nice.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that my hands were "toasty" after a cold morning ride, but they were quite OK, certainly not going numb. I am back on my half-finger gloves now because it is usually around 15-18°C on a ride now. Beyond 15°C I thought that that CC were starting to feel too warm.

I have probably done about 1,000km with them and they still look good - slight "furriness" on the suede, but otherwise fine. I would recommend them.

ilovemybike

Postby ilovemybike » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:54 am

Oh great I’m glad I asked. Thanks. Does it actually protect from the wind at all? It doesn’t say anything about wind resistance in the description, just climate control whatever that means lol.

https://www.99bikes.com.au/gloves-ff-be ... -black-red

These look warmer but looks stiff. Any experience with it? I get really cold hands in the winter, if I could get something warmer that would be good.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:18 pm

In an inspired move SWMBO bought me a pair of sealskinz gloves (these ones I think) perfect for when its wet and cold. Don't get too much use in Sydney but when I need them they're the duck's pyjamas
Anything you can do, I can do slower

nathg

Postby nathg » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:09 pm

I’ve had these for a couple of years. Generally good during Winter, with starts around 4deg.
Can’t comment on “wind resistance”, but descending Bobbin Head or Akuna etc, or any riding at a decent speed, you will feel your fingers getting cold.
What I do really like about them though, is they retain really good feel. Easy to get food out, scroll through wahoo etc

ilovemybike

Postby ilovemybike » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:54 pm

great thanks everyone, its a keeper then. But need to wait until next winter before they can be used :D

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:39 pm

My tip is (if the gloves allow the space), buy a pair of $20 Merino wool under gloves. They're quite thin but add a useful layer of extra warmth for colder days. My winter gloves still can't keep me warm, but with the Merino inners, I remain "functionally cold" rather than frozen solid and unable to use my controls :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

squareznboxez

Postby squareznboxez » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:15 am

Seconding this, ALDI does merino under-gloves a few times a year, they have made a great difference for me. I have found for sub 10deg weather i really need a soft-shell glove to keep my fingers from freezing.
Mububban wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:39 pm
My tip is (if the gloves allow the space), buy a pair of $20 Merino wool under gloves. They're quite thin but add a useful layer of extra warmth for colder days. My winter gloves still can't keep me warm, but with the Merino inners, I remain "functionally cold" rather than frozen solid and unable to use my controls :)

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:50 am

Specialized has some great winter gloves which are really warm (for 0ºC riding or colder, I've tried them in rain and light snow).

However they are quite bulky so they make shifting and feeling the brake levers more difficult.

The other ones I like are Cuore winter gloves, these I got from Jet Cycles many years ago in Sydney when they had Cuore kit. Those are less bulky but also slightly less extreme winter proof.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:37 pm

Big fan of Grip Grab here - I have two pairs - one for super cold days, and the other for average winter temps. Have not felt the cold at all with these gloves, and they are thin and tactile.

ilovemybike

Postby ilovemybike » Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Thank you everyone
Mububban wrote:
This is a good tip. Does this make your existing gloves too tight?

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:39 pm

ilovemybike wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:49 pm
Thank you everyone
Mububban wrote:
This is a good tip. Does this make your existing gloves too tight?

Luckily no. I've got DHB fluoro yellow winter gloves, they're not overly baggy without an under glove, but have enough room for the merino inners. The merino gloves are quite thin but definitely make a difference (it's noticeably too warm with them on as temperatures rise).
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Cycling Wombat

Postby Cycling Wombat » Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:53 am

I have a pair of bellwether winter and they're decent. Not the full on water and wind but good enough for Sydney. And seconded on the thin merino wool gloves underneath when it gets really chilly out.