Otway odyssey 50km bike

BrentA

Otway odyssey 50km bike

Postby BrentA » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:36 pm

Hey guys

just wondering if the 50km Odyssey is possible on an entry level MTB? I’ve done most the blue trails at Eumeralla side of Anglesea and the You Yangs. Haven’t ventured to Forrest with the bike as yet but really keen to take on the 50km and not really in a position to upgrade the bike just yet…
Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

Duck!
Expert

Re: Otway odyssey 50km bike

Postby Duck! » Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:52 pm

The Forrest trails are not exceptionally technical, which makes them well-suited to endurance-type races. However being in the heart of a hilly region, there is basically no flat ground, and some grades can get quite steep. Therefore gearing range is likely to be your greatest limiting factor.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

BrentA

Postby BrentA » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:00 pm

Thanks mate!
I’m not trying to finish in any sort of great time.. just want to enjoy it enough to keep it up and eventually update the bike. You’ve given me confidence that I’ll get through though! The bikes a Merida big 9 the one thing I was considering was changing to better tyres before the event do you think that would be worth doing?
Cheers and thanks for your reply.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:19 pm

BrentA wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:00 pm
Thanks mate!
I’m not trying to finish in any sort of great time.. just want to enjoy it enough to keep it up and eventually update the bike. You’ve given me confidence that I’ll get through though! The bikes a Merida big 9 the one thing I was considering was changing to better tyres before the event do you think that would be worth doing?
Cheers and thanks for your reply.

Nothing wrong with the Big 9, apart from being a little heavy, but every bike at that price point is going to be heavy. It's a very capable bike for that style of event and will get you through the 50km no problem. Your main limiter will be your nutrition strategy, making sure you are getting enough carbs, fluid and electrolytes to stay adequately fuelled. Message me your email address and I will send you an article on what you need to do.

Good tyres cover a multitude of sins. So I would definitely put new tyres on the bike at a minimum, and I recommend something a bit chunkier at the front, and something that rolls well on the back, as front and rear tyres have quite different jobs on a mountain bike.

Typically on my XC race bike I run a Schwalbe Rocket Ron on the front and a Racing Ralph or Thunder Burt on the back, depending on how dry or hard packed conditions are. The minimum width is 29x2.25" with 29x2.35 preferred if the frame will accept the extra width.

However, Schwalbe tyres need low pressures (20psi front/24psi rear typically for me at 80kg), which means running them tubeless with sealant. How do you feel about going tubeless?

If your rims aren't tubeless compatible and you need to run tubes then higher pressures will be needed to avoid pinch-flatting the tube. In those circumstances, I recommend Maxxis as they are less sensitive to having your pressures spot on. Back when I was using that brand (when the 26er was king) I typically ran 30psi front and 35 rear and grip was consistent and predictable.

Eug1

Postby Eug1 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:00 pm

Both Duck and Trailgumby bring up good points. Particularly the nutrition side of things. 50 km may or may not be a long distance for you, but the amount of climbing you will do will make a big impact on your energy levels.
I’d also caution against going too hard too soon. It’s easy to get caught up in the heat of the moment and take off at full gas, only to be a total wreck by the end of the day.
Other than that it’s great weekend. I’ll be doing the Gravel Grind on Sunday. I can’t wait

BrentA

Postby BrentA » Tue Nov 08, 2022 6:48 pm

Cheers guys appreciate all the info and I’m feeling a lot more confident now! I’m a broken down trail runner that has just tried the mtb due to running injuries. I’ve very quickly fallen in love with it, I feel 15 again haha! I have done 30km trail running races so some experience with nutrition but definitely keen to hear any other ideas. Email is brent@maluaracing.com.au

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:12 pm

Hi Brent, training and nutrition guides sent.