Climbing Mt Wellington this weekend, any tips

looseleftie

Climbing Mt Wellington this weekend, any tips

Postby looseleftie » Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:18 am

Hi,
Cycling up Mt Wellington for first time, was wondering how hard have you found this climb? And also any tips or suggestions for this.

Have done many Vic alpine climbs, however Mt Wellington is meant to be one of the hardest climbs.

Thanks for any suggestions with this.
Cheers

ldrcycles

Re: Climbing Mt Wellington this weekend, any tips

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:14 pm

looseleftie wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:18 am
Hi,
Cycling up Mt Wellington for first time, was wondering how hard have you found this climb? And also any tips or suggestions for this.

Have done many Vic alpine climbs, however Mt Wellington is meant to be one of the hardest climbs.

Thanks for any suggestions with this.
Cheers

I was lucky enough to go up Kunanyi on my honeymoon (how's that for an understanding wife :mrgreen: ) There's a few steeper pinches but nothing crazy, it's a very enjoyable climb. It would have been even more enjoyable if the clear weather down in Hobart had kept up, by the last couple of kms it was down to 3 degrees, and the wind was so strong the rain was falling upwards. Ended up having to wait in the shelter for a taxi back to the hotel because I couldn't keep the bike upright against the crosswind for the descent :shock:
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:23 pm

This is a video someone made of the ascent .... https://fulgaz.com/fulgaz-rides/?fg_rid ... 8c8a3f418e

looseleftie

Postby looseleftie » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:26 pm

Idrcycles, on your honeymoon that's brave, it's our wedding anniversary so we are heading down to Tassie, and I asked my wife if I could take two hours or so out of one afternoon to climb Mt Wellington, surprisingly she agreed.. Sounds like we both have been understanding wives :) Also thanks for the intel on the climb

Retrobyte, legend... Just started watching it, it's an awesome video for anyone who is looking into this climb.. Sincerely appreciate the link.

Cheers
Looseleftie

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:35 pm

My advice is to go really hard early then try to hold it together in the second half.

:twisted:

looseleftie

Postby looseleftie » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:22 pm

Hard early, hmmm.. I looked at profile first few km's could keep speed up a smidge, but want to finish the ride in one piece.
See how I feel on the day, and also windspeed and direction.