Tonkin Hwy PSP

Mububban

Tonkin Hwy PSP

Postby Mububban » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:21 pm

I know it goes all the way north up to Muchea now, but how far south does it go along the highway?

I'm trying to map out a route for when there's a southerly/SSE wind blowing, so we head south(ish) while fresh (picking up the Tonkin PSP around Reid Hwy), ride for about an hour, then turn around and return with a tailwind.

If it doesn't extend ~20km south of Reid Hwy, any general route suggestions would be welcome :)

Even if we headed west, went south along the freeway PSP, cut across somehow then picked up the Tonkin PSP to return north?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

HappyHumber

Re: Tonkin Hwy PSP

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:37 pm

Insofar as I'm familar as with I only infrequently follow it South of Roe it pretty much dries up at Hale Rd heading South, then doesn't begin again til Mills Rd East in Gosnells/Martin off the top of my head. The shoulder is "OK" but often full of crap.

Even then past Mills Rd, there's a lot of road crossings at the intersections all the way to Thomas Rd. Showing its age compared to some of the newer stretches for sure.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:23 pm

We had a go at the Tonkin south path and yes, it was an adventure shall we say. but once it's done it'll be another good option for keeping off the roads with all the meth heads and hi viz bogans yelling abuse and close passing us. Good to have options for whichever way the wind is blowing, we like to head out into the headwind then get blown home as we get tired :) So it's good to have multiple route options based on wind direction that morning.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:21 pm

Mububban wrote: it was an adventure shall we say.

Here's a route I do take from time to time from the southern most "decent" stretch of the Tonkin PSP to picking it up in Martin/Gosnells at Mills Rd East. Cuts the span of the Tonkin shoulder required down to about 2km.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/41822108

For the most part quiet(er) roads. Nothing to speak of by way of cafes or stops; maybe the Crystal Brook Caravan Park Deli if you're lucky to time it open. RH turn onto Welshpool Rd from Lewis can be a little hairy if busy; but there is a slip lane at least!
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Fri Feb 03, 2023 11:08 am

There’s a huge gap in the bike path between Mills Road East and Hale Road… the only option is to ride the shoulder on Tonkin which is what we used to do as kids when Tonkin was first built (!!!!)

I looked at the Main Roads website to see what’s planned and the next phase is to extend the bike path south from Hale to Maddington Road (just south of Kelvin Rd). It’ll have all the bells and whistles but work won’t start until 2024… no idea when they’ll finally reach Gosnells.

The bike path will also be extended south from Thomas Rd in Byford to Mundijong when they build the Tonkin extension … this part ends at South West Highway almost opposite Jarrahdale Road… not sure when this project starts but I think it’s soon.

I’m trying to work out a good way to get from Gosnells to Midland but there’s a fair bit of zig zagging until you get to Hale and even then, the path ends at Kalamunda Rd so more zig zagging until you get to Midland.