jasonc

Re: 2023 Cycling fatalities

Postby jasonc » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:28 am

elantra wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:49 am
jasonc wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm
Collision occurred just to the east of channel 9. It happened across the top
That puts a different perspective on things, in terms of the possible causes of the crash.
I saw the almost generic picture of a police car parked so as to halt traffic, near a bend, surrounded by forest, on a slope, and presumed that it was the long descent.

That a collision occurred across the top of the mountain raises a few more of the proverbial eyebrows.
Motorists have been killed across the top there in single-vehicle crashes but never before a bicycle rider (as far as I know)

I will alter my previous post based on the new information
no markings at the point of the collision which I thought was odd

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:56 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm
Collision occurred just to the east of channel 9. It happened across the top
Hmmm... Channel 9 heading east is a climb where the road shoulder disappears for a few hundred metres. As steep as 15%.

If the poor guy was hit by a motorbike heading west while doing that then something has seriously gone wrong. That is about the least likely spot on Cootha I'd expect there to be a head on collision (except for the divided lanes on the front).

And given it's a gentle right hand corner uphill heading west I suspect it wasn't the cyclist on the wrong side of the road. Hopefully this is investigated fully.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:11 pm

I can't see all of this cause its paywalled:
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... noon-ride/

I drove through about 4, traffic still very heavy at that time.

Further info suggests this was a known local who has suffered a medical episode. A regular seen with a shopping bag slung on the bars and the bike as his only transport. Anyone who regularly drives the highway between Wollongong and Gerringong would have seen him at least once.

It's perhaps coincidental that is occurred right where the shoulder disappears into nothing. Bad design that could have been fixed any of few times they've resurfaced that part in the last 10 years to make this a better link between Kiama and Gerringong.

EDIT:
Best confirmation you'll get, albeit via local media, of medical episode. Absolutely nothing on NSW Police media or traffic media pages.

https://www.2st.com.au/local-news/shoal ... a-cyclist/

MORE EDIT:
https://www.illawarramercury.com.au/sto ... st/?cs=320

Allan Olson, often-spotted and widely-known for being on the bike anywhere and everywhere, little-known as to why and who he was. I can't read the article at work, will try to get more later.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:55 pm

Not from 2023 but disappointing:

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... 5a6d815d27

Bloody disgusting. The guy killed two totally innocent people and gets away with it completely. I'm pretty sure if they weren't cyclists it wouldn't be the same outcome.
Last edited by g-boaf on Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:42 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:55 pm

Very upsetting, especially to the Cycling community and especially to those who knew the victims.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:55 pm

elantra wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 5:42 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Very upsetting, especially to the Cycling community and especially to those who knew the victims.
Yep, it's totally messed up. I knew he was appealing a few weeks ago via the family. If you want to read the whole appeal and decision, it's here: https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision ... cf87462245
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:25 pm

g-boaf wrote:

Bloody disgusting. The guy killed two totally innocent people and gets away with it completely. I'm pretty sure if they weren't cyclists it wouldn't be the same outcome.
Yet more proof that you really can "get away with murder" in this country if the murder weapon is a car.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 12:45 pm

Cyclophiliac wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:25 pm
g-boaf wrote:

Yet more proof that you really can "get away with murder" in this country if the murder weapon is a car.
Well said. Agreed. :(
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:10 am

https://www.news.com.au/national/crime/ ... f41f59c73c

More on that - basically the death of two people is worth $1000. :evil: How on earth can that be acceptable. Those children no longer have a father, wives lost their partner. :(

I wonder if this outcome would be the same if the deceased was from law enforcement or a politician?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:27 am

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:10 am

More on that - basically the death of two people is worth $1000. :evil: How on earth can that be acceptable. Those children no longer have a father, wives lost their partner. :(

I wonder if this outcome would be the same if the deceased was from law enforcement or a politician?
His driving record, other than the "fail to keep left" is wiped clean. He killed two people and his driving history does not even reflect that.

Both riders were members of my club. On the morning of the "accident", they arrived at Richmond a bit early and the coffee shop was not open yet. Geoff & Chris decided to do an extra loop from Richmond up to Kurrajong and back to pass the time, while some of the other riders waited for the shop to open.

The law is a real disappointment sometimes, and this is definitely one of those times. The Driver's lawyers have obviously earned their fee. They have now also set a precedent that falling asleep at the wheel and killing someone is a valid defense for negligent driving occasioning death, as long as you were of the belief that you were ok to drive. What a great country to be in.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:32 am

queequeg wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:27 am
g-boaf wrote:

His driving record, other than the "fail to keep left" is wiped clean. He killed two people and his driving history does not even reflect that.

Both riders were members of my club. On the morning of the "accident", they arrived at Richmond a bit early and the coffee shop was not open yet. Geoff & Chris decided to do an extra loop from Richmond up to Kurrajong and back to pass the time, while some of the other riders waited for the shop to open.

The law is a real disappointment sometimes, and this is definitely one of those times. The Driver's lawyers have obviously earned their fee. They have now also set a precedent that falling asleep at the wheel and killing someone is a valid defense for negligent driving occasioning death, as long as you were of the belief that you were ok to drive. What a great country to be in.
^^^ and the attitude of many police is why I don’t bother with cameras and reporting issues. It’s a sad state of affairs, but I now focus on choosing where & when I ride to reduce the likelihood of issues.

Fingers crossed and stay safe

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:57 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:32 am

^^^ and the attitude of many police is why I don’t bother with cameras and reporting issues. It’s a sad state of affairs, but I now focus on choosing where & when I ride to reduce the likelihood of issues.

Ditto. I have bailed from the road at peak times. Too many distracted drivers means it is simply unsafe.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:59 am

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:32 am
queequeg wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:27 am
g-boaf wrote:

If you report things, sometimes Police try to frame it as the cyclist was doing the wrong thing and try to fine the cyclist, or at least threaten to do so. We've seen that occur before. Never mind the old "video not admissable" because the camera is not calibrated excuse, though I think that excuse has fallen away.

The last camera I used was a Garmin Virb - it had poor battery life and mediocre quality so wasn't useful for the rides I do. To be honest, that camera was a waste of money.

EDIT: the calibrated camera excuse still occurs in 2023:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=107224

And valid point, even if it was calibrated, then by who... :roll:

hunch

Postby hunch » Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:52 pm

Feels like one of the safer stretches of road out there too with the presence of wide shoulders....still the occasional drongo, magic white line close passes in the 80k zone though.

Might need something like flight duty or heavy vehicle records, if the court found self assessment was good enough for rest. 5hrs max sleeping time, early start, in a hot, smoky environment that year, for a young person, almost a guarantee of fatigue, no matter the assurance.

Strikes me as a bit like that woman who "sneezed" and lost control running into a group of cyclists 10~15 years ago in northern Sydney - no harm, no foul. :roll:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:33 am

This wasn’t from a road accident or vehicle, but very very sad nonetheless:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 3568090974

He was one of the kindest people you could meet. Such a terrible loss.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:20 am

Looks like this fatality on October 17 in SA slipped our notice. ABC News has done a follow-up story on the Port Pirie cycling club that has lost 2 members in 7 years.
Port Pirie Cycling Club member John Dennis died after being struck by a ute at Abattoirs Road in Port Pirie South on October 17.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:53 am

redsonic wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:20 am
Looks like this fatality on October 17 in SA slipped our notice. ABC News has done a follow-up story on the Port Pirie cycling club that has lost 2 members in 7 years.
Port Pirie Cycling Club member John Dennis died after being struck by a ute at Abattoirs Road in Port Pirie South on October 17.
Sad indeed, but what is even more worrying was this quote from the article :
Bicycle SA chief executive officer Brett Gillett said cyclists had been over-represented in this year's serious road crashes, with seven cyclists killed on South Australian roads so far, compared to two last year all up.
:(

Are other states experiencing a similar increase ?

Stay safe everyone

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Nov 01, 2023 12:57 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:53 am
Sad indeed, but what is even more worrying was this quote from the article :
Bicycle SA chief executive officer Brett Gillett said cyclists had been over-represented in this year's serious road crashes, with seven cyclists killed on South Australian roads so far, compared to two last year all up.
:(

Are other states experiencing a similar increase ?

Stay safe everyone
Sadly it's also true for NSW - 13 in the last 12 months, up from 6 last year & 3 year average of 9. Source NSW Road toll daily 1 Nov 2023, via Transport for NSW road safety statistics
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:06 pm

Is it more cyclists or is it worse drivers?

I suppose given the toll is up generally, it is the latter

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:10 pm

I'd squarely say worse drivers. Heard on the radio this morning that Victoria's road toll is only four shy of last year's total, with two months left to run this year.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:58 pm

And worse vehicles, poor road design and poor road rules that are so rarely enforced that regular offenders complain to the press whenever they actually get fined
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Nov 06, 2023 6:48 am

Not much info of what kind of e-bike in Qld.
A 37-year-old man has died following a fatal e-bike crash that occurred at Scarness, in the Wide Bay area, this evening, November 5.
https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/maryborough ... -scarness/
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:36 pm

https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police-news-assets/front-page-news/serious-crash-at-fullarton wrote: Just after 8am on Wednesday 13 December, police were called to Wattle Street following reports a cyclist was struck by a Mercedes sedan.

Sadly the rider, a 53-year-old Fullarton man, died at the scene.

Major Crash Investigators attended the scene and are investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash.

Wattle Street was closed between Fullarton Road and Kenilworth Road but was reopened just after 12.30pm.

The man’s death is the 108th life lost on SA roads compared with 66 at the same time last year.
I know the road well: speed limit is 50 and it is straight; there is just no reason for this to happen. :( :( :(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:45 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:
Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:36 pm
https://www.police.sa.gov.au/sa-police-news-assets/front-page-news/serious-crash-at-fullarton wrote: Just after 8am on Wednesday 13 December, police were called to Wattle Street following reports a cyclist was struck by a Mercedes sedan.

Sadly the rider, a 53-year-old Fullarton man, died at the scene.

Major Crash Investigators attended the scene and are investigating the circumstances surrounding the crash.

Wattle Street was closed between Fullarton Road and Kenilworth Road but was reopened just after 12.30pm.

The man’s death is the 108th life lost on SA roads compared with 66 at the same time last year.
I know the road well: speed limit is 50 and it is straight; there is just no reason for this to happen. :( :( :(
And quite wide too with plenty of parking places :(

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:50 pm

crap. at least the language is right. "cyclist was struck by a Mercedes sedan"