2023 Cycling fatalities

elantra

Re: 2023 Cycling fatalities

Postby elantra » Thu May 11, 2023 12:52 pm

jasonc wrote:
Tue May 09, 2023 5:50 pm
https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/news/2023/0 ... sh-hendra/
Police are investigating after a male cyclist died following a collision with a truck at Hendra earlier this morning.

Around 7.45am the cyclist was heading south along Nudgee Road when he collided with a heavy rigid truck near the intersection with Long Street.

The 53-year-old cyclist from Nudgee was thrown onto the roadway and was pronounced deceased at the scene.

The 48-year-old male driver of the truck was not injured in the crash.

Forensic Crash Unit officers will conduct investigations into the collision and are appealing for any witnesses or dashcam.
Saw this tragic news this morning.
Precise details are sparse in the news coverage.

According to a discussion topic on Reddit, the man was riding bicycle along Nudgee Rd and was taken out by a Truck turning from same road (opposite direction) into a minor side street.
Considerable local discussion on Reddit, most of it highly sympathy to cyclist and critical of recent decisions made by Brisbane City Council (bicycle infrastructure projects stalled by the issues of loss of local street parking)

Very tragic and upsetting

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Thu May 11, 2023 3:32 pm

Horrible, poor guy.

I hate that statement 'The 48 year old male driver of the truck was not injured in the crash'. Does that really need to be said? A common thing in these sorts of news articles and although yes, it is true, when was the last time a motorist was injured in a collision with a bicycle?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu May 11, 2023 10:39 pm

Mr Purple wrote:
Thu May 11, 2023 3:32 pm
I hate that statement 'The 48 year old male driver of the truck was not injured in the crash'. Does that really need to be said? A common thing in these sorts of news articles and although yes, it is true, when was the last time a motorist was injured in a collision with a bicycle?
What annoys me is "the cyclist was heading south along Nudgee Road when he collided with..."

When the correct answer is almost inevitably that "the cyclist was heading south along Nudgee Road when he was (allegedly) hit by...."
At least have it as "a truck driver collided with a cyclist" as that's more in line with the momentum.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Wed Jun 07, 2023 6:40 pm

Man riding electric bike 'wrong way down one-way street' dies after crash with P-plater
https://www.9news.com.au/national/sydne ... 864d939382

Not good news and this rider should know that's not safe to do it wrong way while riding to face the oncoming traffic in a one way street.
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:37 am

Is it odd they're making distinctions between ebikes and human power now? Yet another out-grouping? Looks like he may have been wearing a full face helmet, too, from the photos.

<cynicism>
"But he was wearing a helmet, that should have protected him", right?
</cynicism>

article wrote: Residents told 9News there have been safety concerns about the intersection for years before the deadly crash.
I have driven down there a few times. The intersection to the NE end of Elizabeth Street Hurstville would certainly be problematic for anyone riding against the flow down The Avenue. Ignoring that stop sign seems to be a local pastime. Nobody seems to look for anything coming that way as they arrive from Hodge St and go into Elizabeth.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:47 am

In NSW a 13 yo boy died when his ebike crashed into a fence.
I look forward to the Coroner's report.
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:56 am

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 19, 2023 10:18 am

Bunged Knee wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:56 am
^^^ More info in link below.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-06-18/ ... c_news_web
Not really appropriate to speculate at this stage but the legality of the device (or otherwise) may be interesting.

Not really the kid's fault either way. We all did dumb things on bikes when we were 13. We were just lucky enough not to have access to the sort of power available today.

uart

Postby uart » Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:55 pm

Hasn't been mentioned yet, but a cyclist was killed in a collision with a bus in Maclean (Northern Rivers NSW) about 6pm on Tuesday.

Collision somewhere on River Rd: https://shorturl.at/acfv0

https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw-ac ... a7ec96523a

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:03 pm

uart wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:55 pm
Hasn't been mentioned yet, but a cyclist was killed in a collision with a bus in Maclean (Northern Rivers NSW) about 6pm on Tuesday.

Oh no ! That’s terrible !

This tragedy appears not to have received much media coverage.
Perhaps one factor is that it occurred in a quiet suburban location, a long way north of Sydney and quite a long way south of Brisbane.

No doubt there are many and complex reasons why road trauma is still claiming almost as many lives as it did in the 1970’s despite vast improvements in road quality, vehicle quality and the quality of Emergency care. :cry:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:22 am

elantra wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:03 pm

No doubt there are many and complex reasons why road trauma is still claiming almost as many lives as it did in the 1970’s despite vast improvements in road quality, vehicle quality and the quality of Emergency care. :cry:
The quality of the nut behind the wheel has gone backwards

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:58 am

elantra wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:03 pm
uart wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 12:55 pm

Oh no ! That’s terrible !

This tragedy appears not to have received much media coverage.
Perhaps one factor is that it occurred in a quiet suburban location, a long way north of Sydney and quite a long way south of Brisbane.

The road toll is still horribly high, far higher than it should be... but it was much higher in the 1970s, roughly 3 times as high. https://web.archive.org/web/20080731044 ... resent.pdf

In any case, RIP to the rider and condolences to those who knew him. It's so sad and frustrating that it barely rates as news.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Jul 05, 2023 12:39 pm

very local to me on road cycle lanes and a rat run:

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/police-in ... lvern-east

"Police investigate fatal collision in Malvern East
Monday 3 July 2023 11:47pm
Major Collision Investigation Unit detectives are investigating following a fatal collision involving a cyclist in Malvern East overnight.

Emergency services were called to Darling Road just after 5.30pm after a cyclist was struck by a car.

The cyclist, a 57-year-old Malvern East man, died at the scene.

The driver of the car stopped to assist and was not injured.

The exact circumstances surrounding the collision are being investigated.

Detectives are appealing for anyone who has dashcam or saw the cyclist prior to the collision to speak with investigators.

It’s understood the cyclist was travelling south on Darling Road near Manning Road about 5.30pm.

trivial in the circumstances but no complaint about the language used by VicPolice: "after a cyclist was struck by a car"

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:49 pm

A 26 yo cyclist dies in Nowra crossing the Princes Highway. I will resist the urge to comment on the reporting. RIP brother
Anything you can do, I can do slower

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:28 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:49 pm
A 26 yo cyclist dies in Nowra crossing the Princes Highway. I will resist the urge to comment on the reporting. RIP brother
I know it well. The intersection is very good, as stated, easy to traverse and understand. But the area screened off in the article is a slip lane with a pedestrian crossing. A red light may not even enter into it.

baabaa

Postby baabaa » Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:04 am

familyguy wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 10:28 pm
find_bruce wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:49 pm
I know it well. The intersection is very good, as stated, easy to traverse and understand. But the area screened off in the article is a slip lane with a pedestrian crossing. A red light may not even enter into it.

Feeling a bit jaded around all this sad/ bad news. Days are very short but the light has been good of late so no excuse.

That stretch of the highway is a shocker to bike - heavy trucks, caravans and local hoons all jostling in the lanes that change from two to three (and even four with some turning bays) and then back to two. Kinda the reverse if you are heading north to south or south to north.
Normally just passing thru so take the foot paths but the locals need a half decent off road path – guess we will see that in a few decades

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:15 am

baabaa wrote:
Sat Jul 22, 2023 9:04 am
...the locals need a half decent off road path – guess we will see that in a few decades
Good luck. Have spent a lot of time in Nowra since I was a kid (late 1970s and onwards). My grandparents lived not far from this intersection. The pace is decidedly glacial when it comes to anything infra besides new subdivisions. The new bridge is already 20 years overdue. Despite two major high schools within a few km from this spot, there is no sane bike/ped link to town, let alone further afield.

elantra

Postby elantra » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:40 pm

Tragedy in Central NSW occurred yesterday

https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/news/new ... YWxsPTE%3D

17 yr old teenager killed.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:47 pm

elantra wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:40 pm

RIP little lady.....yep, probably the last we'll get to hear of this incident, her whole life ahead of her and taken out in a matter of seconds.
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:54 pm

Fatal traffic crash, Mount Coot-Tha
QPS Media on Aug 5, 2023 (AT) 1:32pm

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating following a fatal crash at Mount Coot-Tha this morning, August 4.

Initial investigations indicate just after 10.30am, a bicycle was travelling east along Sir Samuel Griffith Drive when it collided with a motorbike travelling in the opposite direction.

The cyclist, a 65-year-old Killarney man, was declared deceased at the scene.

The motorbike rider, a 35-year-old Fairfield man, was transported to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in a serious condition.

Anyone who witnessed the crash, or has further information, is urged to contact police.

Investigations are continuing.
https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/news/2023/0 ... -coot-tha/

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:14 pm

jasonc wrote:
Fatal traffic crash, Mount Coot-Tha
QPS Media on Aug 5, 2023 (AT) 1:32pm

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating following a fatal crash at Mount Coot-Tha this morning, August 4.

Initial investigations indicate just after 10.30am, a bicycle was travelling east along Sir Samuel Griffith Drive when it collided with a motorbike travelling in the opposite direction.

The cyclist, a 65-year-old Killarney man, was declared deceased at the scene.

The motorbike rider, a 35-year-old Fairfield man, was transported to the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital in a serious condition.

Anyone who witnessed the crash, or has further information, is urged to contact police.

Investigations are continuing.
https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/news/2023/0 ... -coot-tha/
Sad to hear that. My sister lives at Killarney and I told her about it.

She had found out today that he was from Killarney Post Office that he works.

Condolences to his family and friends and locals from Killarney.

May he Ride & Rest In Peace...

elantra

Postby elantra » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:48 pm

Incredibly sad. The victim was not a person that i knew well but he was a good friend of many people in the Queensland Southern Downs community. (Warwick/Stanthorpe/Killarney)

I spose that in the broader cycling community, all of us are friends really.
Mt Coottha is a small mountain only 5 km west of the Brisbane CBD.

Mt Coottha is incredibly well known to most people in the Brisbane area cycling community.
It is a popular recreational cycling route, and has been for many decades.

Other people have come to grief on this section of road.
About ten years ago a popular member of the Brisbane cycling community was killed in a collision while descending Mt Coottha.

About 40 years ago, near to this location, a Racing cyclist received life-threatening injuries in a crash during the Commonwealth Bank Tour.
I think he was descending and collided with a motorcycle support vehicle.
I believe that the driver of the motorcycle support vehicle in that instance (40 yrs ago) was eventually charged with negligent driving.
Last edited by elantra on Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm

Collision occurred just to the east of channel 9. It happened across the top

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:01 pm

elantra wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:40 pm

As appalling as the circumstances are, I'm taking some encouragement from the language used. No mention of the word "accident" which is a major step forward. Bicycles were described as vehicles. However, it seems as though they are still self-driving, so still some work to do.

elantra

Postby elantra » Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:49 am

jasonc wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:51 pm
Collision occurred just to the east of channel 9. It happened across the top
That puts a different perspective on things, in terms of the possible causes of the crash.
I saw the almost generic picture of a police car parked so as to halt traffic, near a bend, surrounded by forest, on a slope, and presumed that it was the long descent.

That a collision occurred across the top of the mountain raises a few more of the proverbial eyebrows.
Motorists have been killed across the top there in single-vehicle crashes but never before a bicycle rider (as far as I know)

I will alter my previous post based on the new information