Buying a QUIET, Shimano 8/9/10 road freehub

Thoglette

Buying a QUIET, Shimano 8/9/10 road freehub

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm

I'm after the previously common-as-dirt, generic Shimano road 8/9/10 freehub (Hyperglide "C") body. As fitted to thousands of 105 and early Ultegra wheels

One of the nice features of these was that they were very quiet. Those made in the last decade or so seem to have joined the cult of CLICK-CLICK-CLICK. Which I'd prefer to avoid.

With the demise of my not-so-local LBS I'm now faced with buying off the web via Shimano part numbers.

Any suggestions on either a) where one might find a list of part numbers for such freehubs or b) an LBS with stock and a clue?

Thanks again
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

queequeg

Re: Buying a QUIET, Shimano 8/9/10 road freehub

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:49 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm
I'm after the previously common-as-dirt, generic Shimano road 8/9/10 freehub (Hyperglide "C") body. As fitted to thousands of 105 and early Ultegra wheels

One of the nice features of these was that they were very quiet. Those made in the last decade or so seem to have joined the cult of CLICK-CLICK-CLICK. Which I'd prefer to avoid.

With the demise of my not-so-local LBS I'm now faced with buying off the web via Shimano part numbers.

Any suggestions on either a) where one might find a list of part numbers for such freehubs or b) an LBS with stock and a clue?

Thanks again
All the part numbers are on the Shimano Techdocs Website at https://si.shimano.com/en/

You can search by Series and Generation to drill down to the specific document to find the relevant part. I note that the part number for the freehub differs between ones fitted to wheelsets vs ones fitted to standalone rear hubs.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:37 pm

queequeg wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:49 pm
All the part numbers are on the Shimano Techdocs Website at https://si.shimano.com/en/
Thanks - that's a wonderful resource of raw information. Somewhere to start, for certain

I'll start building a list

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:28 pm

Pack a new one with grease?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:14 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:28 pm
I’m assuming the noise is a design “feature” and any amount of grease capable of shutting it up will also cause it to stop working.

Maybe Duck knows….

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:09 pm

Arbuckle23 wrote:
NO!!!
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:59 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:14 pm
Arbuckle23 wrote:
I’m assuming the noise is a design “feature” and any amount of grease capable of shutting it up will also cause it to stop working.

Maybe Duck knows….
With very few exceptions, Shimano's freewheel body design hasn't changed to any significant degree in decades, so noise shouldn't really change. The vast majority have what are referred to as internal ratchets, where the pawls and drive ring are located inside the freewheel body. Many other hubs use "external" ratchets, with the pawls on the outside of the freewheel body and the drive ring in the main hub shell. While not silent, the internal design is inherently quieter. Some higher-spec hubs have more ratchet teeth for reduced lag, and the resulting increase in frequency can make the hub sound louder. Perceived noise can also be affected by the rims the hubs are built into; bigger-section rims are very effective resonators, and hub noise transferred through high-tension spokes bounces around and gets a bit loud.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:58 pm

Duck! wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:59 pm
With very few exceptions, Shimano's freewheel body design hasn't changed to any significant degree in decades, so noise shouldn't really change. The vast majority have what are referred to as internal ratchets, …
Duck, thanks once again!
My wheels will be unfashionably quiet: low profile aluminum rims on high spoke count hubs. So I’ll go and shop with renewed confidence ;-)

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:59 pm

I reckon hubs should come with (or be advertised with) a noise rating, a couple of months ago I couldn't remember why I'd got the wheelset that should be on my gravel bike on my rack fitted more utility style bike so I put it back and hated the first long ride due to the freewheel noise...I'd swopped the wheels as the noisy freehub cleared space easily on shared paths

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:32 pm

Wait, WHAT? You mean you *don't* like the sound of being chased by a horde of angry cicadas when you stop pedalling? :shock:

I'm quite liking the current 12-speed XTR and XT Microspline rear hubs Suitably greased up they are completely silent and have a ridiculously high points-of-engagement count, so very quick engagement. Not something you'd really notice on a roadie, but quite important for predictability when ratcheting the pedals over trail obstacles on a mountain bike.

The very loud 4-pawl freehub on my new roadie has its uses though. Great for clearing the way on shared paths.

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:13 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:24 pm
The very loud 4-pawl freehub on my new roadie has its uses though. Great for clearing the way on shared paths.
I've got a mal-adjusted rear brake that does that for me :mrgreen: