First Recumbant

DavidRN

First Recumbant

Postby DavidRN » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:30 pm

Hi

Due to health reasons it looks like I can no longer ride a bicycle, recovering post surgery now and feel an emptiness in my life without cycling.

I was looking at two trikes (Im in Brisbane) ....

Trisled Gizmo

or

Performer Trike F

I have a small hatch (Renault Clio) which I was able to fit the bicycle (56cm) in with front wheel off quite easily.

Regards

skyblot

Re: First Recumbant

Postby skyblot » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 am

Trisled Gizmo is a rock solid little trike, low and sporty. And being steel it's repairable if the need arises.

The Trike F is in 2 versions. The older ones had indirect steering that is harder to setup as the handlebars and steering parts clamp together, and any change in the handlebar position affects the front wheel alignment. The newer version has direct steering and doesn't have the alignment sensitivity.
Trike F had 2 seat options, fibreglass hardshell, or a mesh seat. It's an expensive change to replace one seat with another. Seat attachment is not as solid as it could be and is subject to wear. Disc brake front wheels are hard to remove.

The Trike F does fold flat ie the rear wheel twists flat and rests between the front wheels and crankset so it should fit your car.

Other options to look for are the Greenspeed GT1/3/5 series, great trikes and there are some good ones out there. GT20 is aluminium and a bit bigger than the GT3.

DavidRN

Postby DavidRN » Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 am

skyblot wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 am
Trisled Gizmo is a rock solid little trike, low and sporty. And being steel it's repairable if the need arises.

The Trike F is in 2 versions. The older ones had indirect steering that is harder to setup as the handlebars and steering parts clamp together, and any change in the handlebar position affects the front wheel alignment. The newer version has direct steering and doesn't have the alignment sensitivity.
Trike F had 2 seat options, fibreglass hardshell, or a mesh seat. It's an expensive change to replace one seat with another. Seat attachment is not as solid as it could be and is subject to wear. Disc brake front wheels are hard to remove.

The Trike F does fold flat ie the rear wheel twists flat and rests between the front wheels and crankset so it should fit your car.

Other options to look for are the Greenspeed GT1/3/5 series, great trikes and there are some good ones out there. GT20 is aluminium and a bit bigger than the GT3.

Thanks very much, I do like the Gizmo and it seems quite lightweight for a trike, would fit in the Clio no problem.

Just another question do bike shops service recumbants? - I have no bike servicing skill (apart from the basics)

David

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:13 pm

DavidRN wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 11:06 am
skyblot wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:19 am

Thanks very much, I do like the Gizmo and it seems quite lightweight for a trike, would fit in the Clio no problem.

Just another question do bike shops service recumbants? - I have no bike servicing skill (apart from the basics)

David
In my experience most bike shops are reluctant to service recumbents. While individual mechanics might be keen, the shops generally don't have the space or the workstands to do bents, particularly trikes. With some help from youtube, the basics will get you a long way, most recumbents are still using 9 speed equipment because it simply works better in that application. A 3x9 setup is ideal for a bent and covers the speed range much better than the latest fad of 1x12.

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Feb 04, 2023 6:05 pm

At a GT20 rider... it's a lovely bit of kit and folds up easily and quickly. But even folded and so with seat and wheels removed it might be a bit tricky to lift into a car as there's a bit of weight and the dirty bits can get in the way. If you are in Sydney you can come and try mine.

I found some places were fine with the 'bents and some were not. Very mechanic dependent but the places that were not generic race bike places (road or mtb) were better bets. Again if you are in Sydney then the mobile mechanic Pedal Happy is good with both my 'bents and has a bit of a following amongst riders of adaptive bikes such as hand bikes. He sees them as an interesting challenge not a problem.

DavidRN

Postby DavidRN » Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:49 pm

Thanks for the replies.

DB

OldBloke

Postby OldBloke » Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:27 pm

There is a group of recumbent riders in Brisbane that would be happy to welcome you and answer questions. You can join their group by making a request here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/986598251399938/

Big Fat Gazza

Postby Big Fat Gazza » Sat May 06, 2023 9:00 am

I have a Greenspeed trike which I’ve had for 4 or 5 years now. I love it! No more shoulder or back pain. I bought it when I was fairly healthy and maybe didn’t need it as much as I do now. I’m 68 and and after 2 shoulder reconstructions and chronic lower back pain it’s the the way to go for me!