ICAN X-Gravel build thread - another journey !

MichaelB

ICAN X-Gravel build thread - another journey !

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:54 am

Well, the original plan was to buy a cheapie to use for commuting to work. After a few weeks scouring the various for sale locations and seeing nothing but wrong sized, front suspended and poorly maintained bikes for sale, or couldn't meet the criteria of decent sized tyres with full mudguards.

So then I started looking at the cheaper gravel bikes (Reid, Pedal etc) and then also started having thoughts about going from N=2 to N=3 and with the new house build coming up, available space is reduced, so made the decision to stick to N=2 and put the Cinelli up for sale and get a decent gravel/all-road bike that could fit fenders.

One of the additional objectives was to keep commonality, where practicable, with the existing Shimano 11sp system and Hope RX4 calipers. After much analysis and some great help from Mr Purple and others, a shortlist was drawn up, pending the Cinelli sale.

Then outta left field, a barely used ICAN X-Gravel in matt black (built but then owner realised the sizing wasn't quite right), so stripped it back and put it up for sale for $600.

Some messages back & forth and some googling and realising that essentially ALL of the existing kit on the Cinelli would transfer over, and all I needed to buy extra was a 27.2mm seatpost, money was paid and it's getting delivered today :shock:

So, a new build begins.

I've also ordered some 40mm Challenge Strada Pro open tubulars (because the 36mm versions were $35 - $40 MORE each :roll: ) and a new gear cable set. Grabbed a Canyon carbon seatpost from Farceberk, and that is also on the way.

Fenders will also be ordered soon, but once build is complete and winter gets closer.

StS for details and pics !

warthog1

Re: ICAN X-Gravel build thread - another journey !

Postby warthog1 » Tue Feb 14, 2023 1:26 pm

Good to see another build thread Michael. :)
Sad it means the end of the Vigorelli though. :(
Lots of how you fit stuff please. Particularly the brakes.
A good way for us less capable aspiring bike mechanics to learn. ;)

Saw that with the strada pro tyres too.
I was after some of the narrower ones, but too exxy.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:32 pm

Will do warty.

Couriers Please have been outstanding in effing the delivery up of the frame. They seem to be even less competent than AusPost if that is even possible.

Frame was picked up in Melb on Monday am. Good start. Next update on the tracking was the 14th Feb that it was to be deleivered that day (message at 7:37am). :D
Got to work and completed an Authority to Leave at 7:59am :)
Got email at 10:12am saying delivery couldn't be completed as no-one was at home :o :x despite the AtL.
Numerous emails, chatbots and faffing about achieved nothing. Couldn't organise redelivery, as parcel wasn't back at delivery centre. Se3veral customer enquiries sent.
Finally got an email response this morning asking what I wanted to do :?: :?: :?: They didn't seem to read the customer enquiry regarding trying to get it redelivered.

Current status : No change in tracking status since yesterday, and no idea WTH is going on.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

UPDATE : Just got an email saying that it has been delivered to a collection point near my home, despite trying to get it redelivered :| :?: :?: :!: :!:

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:15 pm

Good to see another build thread!

If it's any consolation, and you've got some time - have a read of the Couriers Please reviews online:

https://www.productreview.com.au/listin ... ers-please

They are hilariously bad. I once had a failed parcel delivery, and drove across town to their warehouse because it was the only way of getting it. I parked in their 'customer parking' section and went straight in immediately told me off for walking in their carpark because it was too dangerous. How they still exist is beyond me!

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:16 am

Ironically, it was the leaving a "review" on that website that got action !! (Mine is the one titles "Pretty useless" :mrgreen:

I got an email within 10 minutes rather then the 25 hours before ...

I politely told them (for the 3rd or 4th time) that I want it redelivered ASAP when asked yet again.

Still standing by to standby ....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:33 am

After many emails back and forth, I got sick of getting nowhere and picked up the frame from the 'collection point'. Will finalise the review with the scathing but accurate assessment.

Canyon seatpost arrived as well, and Bikebug order should arrive Monday, although it's at Adelaide airport yesterday .....

One part that will make life a lot easier is trying to fin the inline hydraulic hose joiners from Shimano (or whomever) as it will save unwrapping the bars (one of the few good bartape warpping jobs that I have done, and it's bloody good tape !!)

Something like this or the proper Shimano version. I've seen them on some builds/complete bikes, but can't seem to find the proper Shimano item.

HELP

This vid shows the Shimano part I'm talking about

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:28 am

Assuming the image above is from TiCycles:
https://www.ticycles.com/components/hyd ... ne-coupler

Available in their ebay store, but yet another international part to get posted and wait for.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:31 am

familyguy wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:28 am
Assuming the image above is from TiCycles:
https://www.ticycles.com/components/hyd ... ne-coupler

Available in their ebay store, but yet another international part to get posted and wait for.
Yes, only appears to be found in US or BikeInn - either option is stupid pricing (for shipping - US$42 for shipping alone) so that isn't an option from them. BikeInn is more reasonable at A$43 shipped, but still more than sensible ...

I can live without it at that price !

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:37 am

Wouldn't having the joiners sitting there, annoy you over time?
Another potential point of failure?
Bar tape, no matter how good, is just temporary.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:03 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:37 am
Wouldn't having the joiners sitting there, annoy you over time?
Another potential point of failure?
Bar tape, no matter how good, is just temporary.

Looking forward to seeing it progress.
Not at all. They came standard on my Merida. Very helpful when I had to remove the fork to get a stuck headset bearing off the crown.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:14 pm

Fair enough.

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:13 pm

Ironically, I will soon have to strip my bike for a frame repair and rebuild it. I am looking to remove the quick disconnects and use one continuous hose run for each brake. The only real advantage I can see is to change complete bar and lever assemblies as you stated.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:29 pm

blizzard wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:13 pm
Ironically, I will soon have to strip my bike for a frame repair and rebuild it. I am looking to remove the quick disconnects and use one continuous hose run for each brake. The only real advantage I can see is to change complete bar and lever assemblies as you stated.
Exactly the reason why. Also useful for fork removal as highlighted by biker_jk.

World won't end without them warty, but we'll see what happens.

If anyone has them and doesn't want them anymore, I'll 'avem !!

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:46 pm

I've always wondered why the bike industry has these fancy proprietary fittings when they've been a staple of the hydraulics and pneumatics industry for decades...

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:32 am

Well, the stripping down of the Cinelli was finished yesterday, and the ICAN X-Gravel build started :D

I took some weights and pics of the frame (which is also known as the Carbonda CFR696), and I gotta say, was pleasantly surprised by the finish and detail, booth internal and external.

Each post is limited to 14 links, so this initial one will be over a few posts, so bear with me please

Fork isn't lightweight, but it wasn't expected to be, buit even though it was purchased as a used frame (only for a short distance) it's still pretty clean and unmarked

Virtually new Canyon seatpost for $60 delivered ! Winner !

Because of the weird shaping of the BB area, couldn't get a shot of it on the scale, but the weight including all the bolts, seatpost collar and RD hanger was 1285g, and the internal finish was pretty neat, so really happy with that.

More pics and details to come shortly 8)
Last edited by MichaelB on Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:13 am

More frame pics, and mounted on the stand. AGain, the BB shaping makes it intersting for this type of workstand, but some more adjustment, and all was good.
A bit of steerer trimming to do, as the stack is a bit more than the Cinelli, so no need for any spacers !!

Nice cable/hose management. The centre port is for the hyd brake hose, and the upper & lower are for the gear cable housing. I was more than prepared to go full cable outer, but happy to have the liners.

BB Shell with the cover removed to show the good detail for the cable running and the threaded BSA BB shell

A good lesson learned when offering up the brake calipers to check rotor size and whether adaptors were needed.

NEVER throw away ANY bolts or bits, they may come in handy !!

Case in point, the rear brake bolts needed to be MUCH longer. Black were the ones from the Cinelli and the silver stainless ones were spares from my box of treasures !!

Who says that FAT isn't good - 40mm of Challenge Strada Pro fatness !! It's interesting to note that I was originally going to go for 36mm tyre, but the tubed version was $79 and the TLR was $85, but the 40mm was $39 for the tubed version and $59 for the TLR. I had top get one of each, as they didn't have two of either size in stock.

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:26 am

The build quality on that frameset looks immaculate!

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:29 am

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:13 am
NEVER throw away ANY bolts or bits, they may come in handy !!
Only two small parts boxes? You must be new...

Looking good. Some splatter paint on that dark carbon would set it off nicely.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:32 am

familyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:29 am

Only two small parts boxes? You must be new...

Looking good. Some splatter paint on that dark carbon would set it off nicely.
I'm selective. :mrgreen: There are a couple of other smaller boxes still in the shed that have cable end fittings etc. The smaller box is brake specific, and the larger one is a just about everything else.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:33 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:26 am
The build quality on that frameset looks immaculate!
I was actually quite impressed with some of the small details, although REALLY wary about losing some of those T10 countersunk fasteners.

Might have to buy a bag of 100 sometime .....

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:25 am

Have had a thought re the cable routing for the RD.

There is meant to be a rubbery cable stop doodad for the rear RD exit, but the seller couldn't find it, and some of the online notes reported having to do a hack to make it work well.

So my plan is to look a running a full length outer to counter this, or at least something similar.

Didn't get anything done last night as it's just too farkin' hot atm, and same will happen tonight. :-(

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:11 pm

After a few days nil activity due to stoopid hot weather, I got a few good hours in the shed continuing the build.

Cables run, hyd hoses run, FD, RD and 11-28 cassette cleaned. Install the brake hoses in the to the levers.

PFBB

Torqued the brake fitting just a tad too much :cry: :roll: :?

Found a set of Ultegra levers new online for $370 delivered, so will keep going as far as I can until they arrive …

Got a bit more done and thought I’d mount the tyres. One of them anyway …

The tubes one, a struggle, but got there in the end.

The TLR one though ….

:cry:

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:32 am

Well, it seems like the bad juju monkey has departed the household, with a nice and brisk 25km ride this morning - PHEW !! Had enough of the mischievous sod !

Was starting to look at the cable routing before the bad juju monkey arrived, and realised that the small plastic doodad that guides the cables under the BB shell, actually had a cable stop for the RD cable such that it would run the outer from the BB shell along the rear chainstay. Yay !! Used a rubber cable anti rub doofus and used that to fill in the exit hole for the cable outer (crappy pic sorry)

Good thing is that the cable set I ordered from BB can be returned to help pay for the shifters that I ordered from fleabay :roll:

Cable routing sorted and worked out well.

The jagwire insert inserter - much better than the hammer approach that I've seen in other videos ....

Progress will stop now until the shifters arrive.

Have also ordered a Koolstop bead jack from Amazon to see if I can get the TLR tyre on the rear

Standby to standby.

Oh, power meter pedals are well on the back burner now until I get the saving kitty restored .. :?

blizzard

Postby blizzard » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 am

MichaelB wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:11 pm
After a few days nil activity due to stoopid hot weather, I got a few good hours in the shed continuing the build.

Cables run, hyd hoses run, FD, RD and 11-28 cassette cleaned. Install the brake hoses in the to the levers.

PFBB

Torqued the brake fitting just a tad too much :cry: :roll: :?

Found a set of Ultegra levers new online for $370 delivered, so will keep going as far as I can until they arrive …

Got a bit more done and thought I’d mount the tyres. One of them anyway …

The tubes one, a struggle, but got there in the end.

The TLR one though ….

:cry:
That sucks about the lever, apparently it is quite easy to crack DA and Ultegra levers like that. I actually order a Pedro's crowfoot flare wrench for when I rebuild my bike. which allows you to use a torque wrench when doing up the nut because I know with my luck I will crack it.

$23 shipped seems like cheap insurance.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:41 am

blizzard wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:20 am

That sucks about the lever, apparently it is quite easy to crack DA and Ultegra levers like that. I actually order a Pedro's crowfoot flare wrench for when I rebuild my bike. which allows you to use a torque wrench when doing up the nut because I know with my luck I will crack it.

$23 shipped seems like cheap insurance.
Cheers, will look at that option, thanks