Close passing video - WA Police will not proceed as my HD cameras "are not calibrated"

fixed

Close passing video - WA Police will not proceed as my HD cameras "are not calibrated"

Postby fixed » Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:12 pm

Saturday 11 February 2023 Woodrow Ave Yokine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXn4syzGfNU
I have been running fly12 and fly6 cameras for over six years, riding approximately 50,000 kms in many places around the world, this is my fourth ever close pass report.

Take off from the lights, hold my line, two vehicles overtake me safely by indication and merging into the right hand lane, hero in silver Magna 1OYO818 decides to squeeze through very close to my right shoulder and elbow, well within 1m. I threw up my hand in a "what the?" gesture, he flipped me the bird.

Got home and immediately filed a Hoon report - https://www.police.wa.gov.au/Police-Dir ... uestions-A

Was emailed with a 'provide evidence' link by Constable from Morley Police Station on Monday 13th. Did so immediately Monday morning.
Got a phone call Tuesday 14th midday from same Constable saying "as the driver was not driving aggressively towards me and overtook safely" (safe - in his interpretation I DIDNT DIE) they would not be taking this further.
Despite my clear knowledge this isnt how the Safe Passing Legislation is meant to work, and the two prior vehicles did overtake safely how can they say it was more than a metre, in exasperation I said "You're not doing your job" The cop hung up on me. (I've recorded names, just not putting them in this post)

Wednesday 15th I ring Morley police station asking to speak with the Officer in Charge about this incident and subsequent incompetence from the constable.
Got through to an Acting Sergeant, informed them of the conversations, they said they will get back to me after discussing with traffic police. They do so a couple of hours later, stating the first Constable I spoke with is a very green probationary constable and therefore...IDK maybe give him some actual training?
Basically, Magistrates will seek definite proof that the vehicle driver came within 1m, has the camera been calibrated? If not then the cops will not proceed. As a gesture to me they said some officers were going to pay a visit to the driver of 1OYO818 and advise them of the rules.

Aint that great? Its institutional to not give a damn and the game is stacked against vulnerable road users.

I am going to be discussing this with certain Members of Parliament who were critical to the implementation of the Close Passing Legislation.
Chat with Westcycle? I have worked with Westcycle, I was part of the Colin Brown review and bid supporter of the establishment of this org. Westcycle is little more than an event organiser now, their advocacy role is very opaque and seemingly limited to motherhood statements. Not really convinced they can provide anything practical.

How do I calibrate my cameras? Add tram lines and ensure firmware is always updated? Will that meet the evidentiary requirements?
What else is advisable? I am still going to ride on Perth roads, the behaviour of the overwhelming majority of Perth drivers has improved massively since the 1m rule came in, but there will always be this 1% of spitzkopfen
The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.

Thoglette

Re: Close passing video - WA Police will not proceed as my HD cameras "are not calibrated"

Postby Thoglette » Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:31 pm

fixed wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:12 pm
Basically, Magistrates will seek definite proof that the vehicle driver came within 1m, has the camera been calibrated? If not then the cops will not proceed.
No, it's just being busy with a whole bunch of other things that their management team think are more important than chasing this. (If the driver is "known to police" they may get a whole bunch more interested)

That they'll "have a word" is actually wonderful and a vast improvement on previous form (as reported hereabouts)

Calibration just means you've checked (preferably before and after use) that what looks like less than a metre is definitely less than a metre.

Measure a metre and mark it on your driveway. Take a bunch of photos at different lean angles and work out where an MV definitely is within the metre. Print, date, sign and file. Repeat regularly.

Calibration is all about knowing how big your error can be. If your photo indicates that the MV was within 50cm, there's little doubt about the metre. On the other hand, if it's right on the edge things are arguable.

We had a measuring instrument drift out of the allowable calibration range: but having pre and post use data meant we could bound the error and managed to avoid re-doing the measuring.

Also check the wording of the regulation: I think it says "from the edge of the bicycle" or some such, not the centre line.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

trailgumby

Re: Close passing video - WA Police will not proceed as my HD cameras "are not calibrated"

Postby trailgumby » Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:07 pm

You need to have captured marks on the ground, which you and the car have passed over, to go back and measure in order to be able to objectively derive the passing distance.

I have done this six times now and my evidence on passing distance has been accepted every time. Unless I have captured that, I don't waste my time (or the Police's) submitting a complaint - it won't get over the "beyond reasonable doubt" evidence hurdle for criminal prosecution.

I'm currently fighting on a police procedure issue which is likely to have dire consequences for effective prosecution of close passing distance offences if I fail. More to follow Monday.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:59 pm

And if it's calibrated they will say 'By whom"
The truth is that they have an out and will take it every time. I sent many videos in and directly to addressed to the commissioner of Police knowing that then they will pass them on to some one.

You know what ... they didn't even give me a complain umber some times and I sent it all in again with a complaint against the department.

It it's all about the good will of any one in the force, not the quality of the video or camera. I have had four prosecution successful videos with out any calibration at all.

All the cops are doing is re quoting the public when they ask... "Is the speed cam is calibrated", Just simple payback to get rid of you.
From a cyclists perspective, if you gave me your video cam to set up and also to five other you would get back six different out looks.

I can tell you now, when the cops ask for a video of an accident or some issue ... the last thing they will look at is calibration.They only wan videos that help them, not videos that make them work.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:46 am

Given that WA appears to be 1m pass distance I'd say the red Focus behind the Magna also performed an illegal pass, and probably only gave you a few centimetres more room.

Man, that's bad road design. An extremely narrow shoulder which disappears immediately after the lights - it also looks like the right hand lane is far wider than it needs to be. Plenty of room for an actual shoulder there.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:07 pm

I agree with trailgumby. Use hard data, not calibration. You can see the lane marking, you can measure the lane marking to the kerb. You know the model of car and can find the width. You know the width of the bike bars. The car did not cross the line, therefore if the car width plus the bike width plus 1m is wider than the lane, there’s your close pass. Include this information with the initial report so there’s less back and forth.

I haven’t run cameras for a while but when I did, I always started recording on a known line, and could conceivably ‘calibrate’ off that if I needed to. Pick a straight line o your driveway/street/footpath. Start with the same position each time you record so you’ve got a reference.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.