Giant Trance or Trek Fuel ex

aussieflyer23

Giant Trance or Trek Fuel ex

Postby aussieflyer23 » Sat May 13, 2023 4:15 pm

Hello Team,

I’m looking to upgrade from a 2012 Giant Anthem to something better suited for the trail.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Trek Fuel Ex 8 2023 or the 2022 Giant Trance x Advanced Pro 2.

At the moment they are both on special and very close on price. I’m thinking the Giant is better value for money being carbon.

Any advice??

Duck!
Expert

Re: Giant Trance or Trek Fuel ex

Postby Duck! » Sun May 14, 2023 9:28 pm

What's the running gear, especially suspension package?
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Fri May 19, 2023 2:31 pm

aussieflyer23 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 4:15 pm
Hello Team,

I’m looking to upgrade from a 2012 Giant Anthem to something better suited for the trail.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Trek Fuel Ex 8 2023 or the 2022 Giant Trance x Advanced Pro 2.

At the moment they are both on special and very close on price. I’m thinking the Giant is better value for money being carbon.

Any advice??

Seem like very similar spec? Same gearing ratios, same brake rotor sizes (Deore I think), same brand dropper posts - do you care about carbon vs alloy?

SLX shifters and derailleur on the carbon Giant, vs XT on the alloy Trek for whatever that's worth to you.

Carbon wheels on the Giant, alloy rims on the Trek.

Trek lists a Medium as weighing 15.65 kg - get the shop to weigh the Giant if you care about that.

Both bikes get very positive reviews. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri May 19, 2023 7:17 pm

IMO it needs to be more about fit and ride than specs. Both will be good bikes. Make sure you throw a leg over before you decide, preferably riding it. ride some obstacles like steps or kerbs to test it if you aren’t allowed to hit the trails.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.