bar tape

zebee

bar tape

Postby zebee » Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:22 pm

So.... do you wrap your bars?

I have a Schlitter Encore so J/superman/tweener bars. The bits my hands touch use MTB grips The bits forward of the controls are wrapped but it's falling apart and should I bother?

MIght need a couple of bits of tape to hold cables in place but that's about it.

Do you wrap your 'bent bars?

brumby33

Re: bar tape

Postby brumby33 » Sat Jun 03, 2023 7:17 pm

zebee wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:22 pm

I have a Schlitter Encore so J/superman/tweener bars. The bits my hands touch use MTB grips The bits forward of the controls are wrapped but it's falling apart and should I bother?

MIght need a couple of bits of tape to hold cables in place but that's about it.

I have touring drop bars on my bike with bar-end shifters and the bar tape is now about 5 yrs old and there's a few areas where it's lost it's adhesion and can see bits of chrome bar showing.
The black electrical tape has also lost it's stickiness so I bought some new electrical black tape to hold the bar tape on and hopefully get a couple of more years out of it but i'm just putting off the inevitable. :lol:
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:43 pm

Yeah but you put your hands on the tape. I don't. My hands are on grips not tape. So any reason to wrap? Seems to me it's aesthetics only in that it keeps the cables tidy.

(I am presuming you are not riding a 'bent if you are using dropbars.)

zebee

Postby zebee » Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:45 pm

Yeah but you put your hands on the tape. I don't. My hands are on grips not tape. So any reason to wrap? Seems to me it's aesthetics only in that it keeps the cables tidy.

(I am presuming you are not riding a 'bent if you are using dropbars.)

skyblot

Postby skyblot » Mon Jun 05, 2023 12:32 pm

zebee wrote:
Sat Jun 03, 2023 5:22 pm

Yes, absolutely I do. I can't stand cables flapping around in the breeze... The M5CHR has the tiller wrapped in bar tape with the cables themselves run through plastic tunnels under the tape (so I can change cables without retaping), and the Bacchetta's are done similarly.

Trikes are harder and I generally give up and cable tie the outers to whatever is nearby.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:42 pm

On my race trike I only wrapped the grip area on each tiller; I couldn't use MTB grips due to the gear cable from the bar-end shifter being in the way. Any cable restraint below the brake levers was a simple wrap of leckie tape if needed.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:44 am

Wrap bars with bar tape - yes. On my trike, just the grip area between the bar end shifters and the brake bar clips.

On very rare occasions (so, just after chain / front chain ring replacement by my LBS) it's just been black electrical tape, as much to hold steady the gear cable sheath as anything, and riding hasn't felt uncomfortable. But much prefer the slight cushioning of the bar tape!

Cheers
Alan
BentCyclist