Fat bike

Jacquig

Fat bike

Postby Jacquig » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:26 pm

Hi I'm looking at buying my first fat bike purely for beach riding.any suggestions? Thanks

Mububban

Re: Fat bike

Postby Mububban » Mon Jun 19, 2023 1:47 pm

Jacquig wrote:
Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:26 pm
Hi I'm looking at buying my first fat bike purely for beach riding.any suggestions? Thanks
Definitely not a fixed gear then! You'll want plenty of gears so you can spin an easy gear.

And I believe leaning back a bit and making your front wheel lighter can help you "float" over the sand better.

Other than that, choose a dry chain lube as sand will be unavoidable!

Have you looked at any contenders yet?
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Jun 19, 2023 3:46 pm

Not really familiar with this whole segment, and there's a lot more to it than I expected! Such a narrow useful applications in Australia, I'm surprised there's so many options.

Looks like the options range from alloy Tourney at about $400-450 through to carbon/Deore at $2500-300.

Honestly for a beach I'd buy the cheapest Tourney I could find. Because 'drivetrain longevity' is going to be an issue either way.

Reid does one for $450.

https://www.reidcycles.com.au/products/ ... e-charcoal

And this mob for $429.

https://www.progearbikes.com.au/collections/fat-tyre

14kg for something with tyres that big actually sounds pretty reasonable.

What happens if you flat on a fat bike? Is there even the slightest chance of changing it by the side of the road?

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:46 am

I picked up a fluid grizzly a couple of years ago to replace a Big W Hyper Mammoth. The mammoth has one gear (always wrong) and was soo heavy it wasn’t funny. Once I changed the gearing and put it on a diet it was OK on the beach but having gears is much better.

The grizzly is a rigid alloy frame and fork so no extra maintenance with suspension and less corrosion. It has low end gearing, 7speed freewheel. It does OK but isn’t geared for road riding. I’ve ridden it on the beach a few times and with nice low tyre pressure it goes pretty well for what it is. I really only choose to ride it on our summer beach holidays and bought it because it was cheap at $150.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.