bike paths in Parra

zebee

bike paths in Parra

Postby zebee » Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:11 pm

So thinking about taking my mirrorless new bike (recumbent so mirrors are vital) on a ride - but to get there I have to get from Parramatta station to the riverside path.

Google maps says very confidently that there are off road paths on Argyle St, but streetview doesn't show anything obvious. Ditto Smith near the station and Macquarie.

So is it "find a footpath wide enough, they don't bother with any signs or anything" or are there signs to say you can ride off the road?

Retrobyte

Re: bike paths in Parra

Postby Retrobyte » Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:37 pm

zebee wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:11 pm
So thinking about taking my mirrorless new bike (recumbent so mirrors are vital) on a ride - but to get there I have to get from Parramatta station to the riverside path.

Google maps says very confidently that there are off road paths on Argyle St, but streetview doesn't show anything obvious. Ditto Smith near the station and Macquarie.

So is it "find a footpath wide enough, they don't bother with any signs or anything" or are there signs to say you can ride off the road?
That is tricky, my commute includes getting to and from the river to just near the station. There's currently no route that gets you there totally on shared paths, but there will be once the light rail is completed and the path network from the new Argyle St bridge to the CBD is completed.

There are no signs that say you can ride on the footpath at all, at least none that I've seen.

Outside of peak hour the traffic along Smith St and then Phillip St to the river won't be too bad - that would be my pick for the most direct route to the river from the station.

andrei

Re: bike paths in Parra

Postby andrei » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:48 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 3:37 pm
There are no signs that say you can ride on the footpath at all, at least none that I've seen.

As far as I know 'legally' you're still not allowed to ride on a footpath unless you're accompanying a minor, unless specifically marked e.g. City of Sydney has started marking some footpaths as shared paths in blue.

https://news.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/ar ... -cycleways

Still if it's a choice between a footpath or a busy road e.g. Forest Road I'll take the footpath.