Urgent - need a barrel adjuster for front cable hanger. Melb.

wqlava1

Urgent - need a barrel adjuster for front cable hanger. Melb.

Postby wqlava1 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 7:58 pm

I'm going to Italy for L'Eroica on Thursday, and in adjusting things in preparation, I broke my front cable hanger adjuster for the centrepull brake this arvo. It's a 6mm hollow bolt with and adjusting nut that sits in front of the headset in a pressed metal fitting. The bolt & nut must have siezed, and the bolt broke off when I twisted to adjust. Does anyone have one? I'm in the NE suburbs of Melbourne.

thanks in advance,
Andrew

minhyy

Re: Urgent - need a barrel adjuster for front cable hanger. Melb.

Postby minhyy » Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:27 pm

I think I know which part you're talking about, but you'd best call up Abbotsford Cycles (who also run Bicycle Parts Warehouse) and see if they can express post it to you in the event you can't make it to the shop.
VillaVelo, by the Vuong brothers

Blog: https://villaveloframes.wordpress.com/
FB & IG: @villaveloframes

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:23 pm

You could try Mottainai in Northcote or a few other places that work on old bikes. One near the Powerhouse Museum?

How exciting that you are going to L’eroica!

What bike are you taking?
Which route are you doing?

I’ve got more questions but they can wait.

And I’m sure you could find a replacement part in the mass of second hand stalls in Gaiole if it comes to that.
Last edited by Imwit on Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gordon1

Postby Gordon1 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:34 pm

I'm in Greensborough area and probably have on in spares, somewhere. Shoot me a message

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sun Sep 17, 2023 6:44 pm

Hope you got your barrel adjuster sorted wqlava1.

If you’ve got a chance I’d love to hear about your L’eroica adventure. My family is currently reminiscing about where we were 12 months ago. Hope your trip goes well.

In bocca al lupo.

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:53 pm

Thanks for the interest Imwit. I’d seen that you could choose on the day to do a shorter ride, so last year I’d signed up for the Medio ride (medium length) which this year was 130-odd km. They’ve changed it to have the Medio and the 3 shorter lengths on the Sunday as previously when I first showed interest a few years ago, and have the full 236km and Medio on Saturday. Well, I’d been allocated Saturday, and I was a bit unfit - and there was no shorter option for me. I cramped badly on the front of both thighs and went back several km to to the bus at the last food stop, which was 20-ish km from end. Food and drink was excellent at the various stops (esp the ribollita). One stop was in the main square of Siena, which they’ve apparently not done before. That was where I was for the last few minutes of Collingwood winning the premiership. Carn the Pies!!

I wrote a description of the bike including pics on a FB group devoted to Australian built frames, trying to get someone to recognise my frame’s builder. No luck so far, so I’ll copy it and repost on in the Retro forum here in the hope that someone is triggered to answer as to its origin.

I have an unused 32h Royce 120mm rear freewheel hubset and a set of Pacenti Brevet 650B rims, and I’m considering building them up and changing the brakes from Wienmann 610 centrepulls to GC700s (which I have too) for a bit more reach if I do another Eroica elsewhere.

Cheers,
Andrew
Nillumbik, AU

Imwit

Postby Imwit » Sat Dec 02, 2023 9:29 am

Thanks for the L’Eroica update Andrew.
Sorry to hear about your cramping.
It looked like you had nice weather but maybe a bit warm in the hills?

The ribollita was my favourite too, maybe just topped by pappardelle and a beer at the end.