Freehub "grease"

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Freehub "grease"

Postby antigee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:22 pm

Something I generally ignore and so got a couple that need cleaning out and regreasing...my understanding is that need something less viscous than the grease sold for bb's / hub bearings ? ...trawled through a few on line retail sites and can't find anything specifically listed

What are people using?

MichaelB

Re: Freehub "grease"

Postby MichaelB » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:32 pm

I've used the std silicone Shimano grease, but careful with how much is applied.

OnTrackZeD

Postby OnTrackZeD » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:07 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:32 pm
I've used the std silicone Shimano grease, but careful with how much is applied.
I also add a drop of oil to the grease because I like loud hubs.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Tue Nov 21, 2023 1:12 pm

I've used Castrol light green in the big tube or Castrol dark blue stuff in the tub. A little more sparingly than you would for bearings though. Has worked fine for me for yonks. Occasionally some of my ancient tube of Finish Line lithium grease if I have that tube handy when I'm doing anything. It's just easier to do the lot with one tube/tub open, frankly.

Is a proprietary grease like Phil or Shimano that much better? Dunno. Someone will have a technical answer.

Jean

Postby Jean » Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:25 pm

antigee wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:22 pm
Something I generally ignore and so got a couple that need cleaning out and regreasing...my understanding is that need something less viscous than the grease sold for bb's / hub bearings ? ...trawled through a few on line retail sites and can't find anything specifically listed

What are people using?
You can use a 'light grease' such as Slick Honey or Slickoleum, or Googling 'freehub grease' will give you some other options.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Tue Nov 21, 2023 4:33 pm

Jean wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2023 2:25 pm

You can use a 'light grease' such as Slick Honey or Slickoleum, or Googling 'freehub grease' will give you some other options.
:shock: don't know why didn't google! just looked through lube products at the online co's I regularly use and found nothing. Now I see Shimano, DT Swiss and couple of others do a specific though I don't have a problem using regular grease and a bit of light oil if that works ok

open roader

Postby open roader » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:39 pm

DT Swiss Special Grease - the pink stuff. Perfect viscosity to lube tiny pawls without having them stick - great for silencing loud freehubs too.

I purchased a tiny tub maybe 15 years ago - still have half a tub full.
3rd class cycling is always better than 1st class walking