Transwa and trailer?

Wixxy

Transwa and trailer?

Postby Wixxy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:14 pm

Has anyone taken a trailer on to a Transwa service as extra luggage?

Buried in the terms of travel it says luggage needs to be enclosed in a suitcase / backpack etc, though it mentions prams only needing to be folded.

HappyHumber

Re: Transwa and trailer?

Postby HappyHumber » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:25 pm

I find TransWA's online info about these things less than comforting. Best to phone their info line during business hours and have a yarn. The once or twice I've queried rail services I've wanted to take just a bike on I've phoned up and discussed pre-bookings because the rules are actually different for each of their passenger services, depending on the carriage space & facilities

Otherwise, it may come down to how much of a bad - or good - day the driver is having for you on the bus.
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:42 pm

I have travelled on Transwa numerous times to or from Geraldton, Hyden, Esperance, Albany, and Kalgoorlie, all with my bike and trailer. Initially, I used a BOB Bike Trailer and then an Extrawheel, which I still use.

Never had any issues, bar a grumpy driver at Kalgoorlie. I simply told him to refer to the Transwa website on bicycles for future reference.

My bike (sans trailer for this ride of the Holland Track) on a Transwa bus at East Perth.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:10 am

I've currently got a Topeak Voyager trailer.

I phoned Transwa who suggested I sent an email to them. Waiting for a reply. I've said that I'd be booking a bike and the trailer with integrated bag (full of gear) as booked on luggage. It's whether they will allow me the trailer, which would have wheel, etc. removed.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Dec 01, 2023 12:31 pm

Wixxy wrote:
Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:10 am
I've currently got a Topeak Voyager trailer.

I phoned Transwa who suggested I sent an email to them. Waiting for a reply. I've said that I'd be booking a bike and the trailer with integrated bag (full of gear) as booked on luggage. It's whether they will allow me the trailer, which would have wheel, etc. removed.
That is a similar design to my Bob, which I took on a bus to Geraldton. Had no issues but it does come down to the passenger load on the day.

Wixxy

Postby Wixxy » Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:42 pm

I got advice from Transwa that I'd have to book and pay for the bike and trailer at $20 each. That is only on the Merredin and Avonlink trains, can't take the trailer on their coaches.

So be it.

I already knew of the cycling restrictions on the Prospector re folding bikes only.

Am going to get some bikepacking stuff for coaches.