E-Bike Backpacking

Aushiker

E-Bike Backpacking

Postby Aushiker » Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:58 pm

Age etc, is catching up a bit but I would like to still go bikepacking if possible, hence my thoughts are turning to maybe an e-bike bikepacking setup. I have all the bike-packing gear but not the bike.

Anyway I was curious to know if anyone has given e-bike-packing a shot and if so how it worked out for you?

Thanks in advance

robbo mcs

Re: E-Bike Backpacking

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:02 pm

You can filter journals of the crazy guy on a bike website by type of bike. The CGOAB is more a traditional "touring" site rather than "bikepacking". However, it is all just semantics to me, all travelling with bikes of some sort on a bike. However, some people get all precious about the differentiation :roll:

Here is a whole series of journals on ebikes
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/cat ... pe=journal

I must say I haven't read any of those, except this one, which is local to Australia, and I found informative, even though I personally do not ride an ebike
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o= ... 25393&v=FF

I also follow the "Bikepacking Australia" group on FB, and ebike stuff does come up on there. However, being FB, not quite as easy to find the info as a forum

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:32 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on CGOAB. I haven't been there in a long time. So off I go.

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:45 am

Andrew, I have done a four day bike packing trip along the Brisbane Valley Rail Trail on my Focus e-mtb. With a battery extender the Focus has a range of around 130km in Eco mode, so more than enough to carry me between overnight stops. Biggest challenge was to carry the charger which is quite large, but since I wasn't carrying camping gear it was manageable.
I do think an e-bike is a good option for trips where you can plan recharge points, but I think camping trips would be difficult to manage. However I am aware that quite a few have ridden the 3000km Tour Aotearoa on e-bikes without major drama.

I have a Canyon Grizl CF SLX 8 Di2 and it is a high quality bike with excellent finish. I did look for the Grail On but some time ago but they weren't selling them on the Australian site then. I have no personal experience with the e-drive but the Bosch motors have been around for a long time and seem very popular.
One thing to be aware of is Canyon's proprietary cockpit which can make fitting difficult. It's worth noting that Canyon have since reverted to a conventional setup on the latest generation of Grails.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 11:21 am

Thanks for your input Ron. I read the journal at CGOAB that memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=35349 mentioned and it was informative. The rider did carry a tent and camped one or two nights on her ride so it is doable. I also believe Bosch have a 'compact' charger, whatever that means.

On the question of the Canyon Grail:ON, I am also concerned about the propriety cockpit and that they only have one size in stock and no indication as to whether more stock or an update is coming. The price is also discounted, but that may be their normal marketing. The bike is attractive, given its weight, even if is necessary to carry a second battery.

The rider in the CGOAB journal rode a Riese & Mueller Supercharger. They are on the heavier side of the options I have considered so far, plus are more expensive than alternatives such as the Focus Adventura 6.9.

On the positive side, they come pretty much ready to roll off the shop floor, have a load capacity up around 160 kg (suggesting a solid frame) and most importantly, have a battery capacity of 1,250 watts via two mounted 625-watt batteries. I would probably need to carry a second battery for the Focus which closes the weight gap.

The rider also did some big numbers on the bike. Oh, she is in her early 60s, which makes me feel better :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:40 pm

I have been advised by Canyon that the Grail:ON is not available in Australia even though they list it on their Australian website and you can order it.

https://www.canyon.com/en-au/electric-b ... be=VT%2FBK

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:22 pm

There would be no questioning the quality of the Riese & Muller bike and the huge battery capacity is a winner.
Another major advantage is that the batteries are removable, as it's not always possible to bring the bike inside or close to to a power point.
You may already be aware of this - e-bikes are not permitted on aircraft so air travel is not possible.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:18 pm

A quick update. I am pretty sure I will go with a derailleur version of the Riese & Muller Supercharger. As they are built to order in Germany hte lead time is approximately three months.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:24 pm

Well, things moved much faster than I expected, and it looks like I will be getting Riese & Müller Supercharger GT Rohloff with Nyon cockpit, 1250 dual battery and R&M Comfort handlebar (cannot fit a Jones H-Bar :() for $11,758. This is $2,818 off the list price for the same configuration and approximately $300 more than the derailleur configuration.

The only negative, besides the handlebars, is that the colour is curry matt. I would have preferred the more subdued silver matt, but thems are the breaks.

It looks like @rifraf I am joining your ranks after all these years with a Rohloff. This will be an interesting experience.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:56 pm

An update:

I just ordered a Riese and Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff 53 cm in warm silver matt.

Nyon cockpit
- 1250Wh dual battery
- GX option
Transport cover R&M x 2
Front carrier + bag, with headlight relocation kit

All up, a scary AU$12,156

Delivery is expected in April.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 4:52 am

Aushiker wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:56 pm
An update:

I just ordered a Riese and Muller Supercharger GT Rohloff 53 cm in warm silver matt.

Nyon cockpit
- 1250Wh dual battery
- GX option
Transport cover R&M x 2
Front carrier + bag, with headlight relocation kit

All up, a scary AU$12,156

Delivery is expected in April.
OUCH!! My 2021 Suzuki V-Strom 650 didn't even cost me that much......holy moly!! Hope it gives you great service Andrew. Jeez E-Bike prices are really getting up there.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB