Could you ride 138 metres?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Could you ride 138 metres?

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:53 pm

I'd love to have a go at this place, its 12 deg steeper than any place I've ridden at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forest_City_Velodrome
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Re: Could you ride 138 metres?

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:27 am

That Track would require good concentration and from watching him hit the top rail, he lost that by dipping his head after the finish line. :shock:

I was talking with Stephen Goodall at the Annadome at Chandler he was saying that he had ridden a Track that was 55 or 56 deg in a 6 Day but I can't remember where it was. He said it was a real challenge too get used to the banking and intimidating for the first 20 or so laps.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 pm

foo on patrol wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:27 am
That Track would require good concentration and from watching him hit the top rail, he lost that by dipping his head after the finish line. :shock:

I was talking with Stephen Goodall at the Annadome at Chandler he was saying that he had ridden a Track that was 55 or 56 deg in a 6 Day but I can't remember where it was. He said it was a real challenge too get used to the banking and intimidating for the first 20 or so laps.

Foo
I recall my father talking about the 6 day saying that one was built in a swimming pool
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:28 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 pm
foo on patrol wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:27 am

Foo
I recall my father talking about the 6 day saying that one was built in a swimming pool

:shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

DernyDriver

Postby DernyDriver » Tue Jan 09, 2024 9:14 pm

mikesbytes wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:26 pm

The London 6 was built over the top of the Wembley pool in the 50s. The track was plywood and not super steep.
There was a track in Aarhus Denmark built inside an old picture theatre. It was only 110 metres per lap and suitably steep. From memory, 55 degrees. A dizzy place to ride.
My uncle rode on a track in Germany called the Funkturm, near the Radio Tower in Berlin. It was 153 metres and 60 degrees. It was known to have caused the death of half a dozen riders.
All these short steep tracks have been demolished.

Except for Gent Belgium, just 166 metres and 52 degrees. Its fast and dangerous. Isaac Galvez was killed in the 2006 Gent 6-day.
The 6-day circuit is in decline. The only real 6 left is Gent. I hope to revisit it again this year in November. My mate managed to get tickets for the last 4 nights.

PS Forest City is 50 degrees, not 51, and while it is the shortest, its not the steepest track in the world.
Theres Gent at 52 and Geneva at 55 degrees just to name two.