Guidance for Sydney to Brisbane Bicycle Trip

sachinik19

Guidance for Sydney to Brisbane Bicycle Trip

Postby sachinik19 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:10 am

Hello fellow adventurers!

I'm reaching out to the community for some valuable guidance as I embark on my bicycle journey from Sydney to Brisbane, commencing on the 19th of January 2024. This is my first time exploring the beautiful landscapes of Australia, and I'm eager to tour some parts by bicycle, which I love the most. Below are the details of my plan, and I'd appreciate any suggestions or insights you might have:

About Me:
a. From India, with previous bicycle trips exceeding 1000 km in India and Vietnam.
b. Comfortable riding 80-100 km a day.
c. I'll be riding Brompton 6 gears

Camping Gear:
a. Kathmandu Mono 1 tent
b. Naturehike FC10 mattress
c. Naturehike LW180 XL sleeping bag

Camping Plan:
a. First-time camper; open to advise on camping in Australia.
b. Planning to eat all meals in the restaurant, also keeping some nutrition bars as a backup.
c. Carrying 3 liters of water, replenishing whenever possible.
4. Not booking campsites in advance due to potential changes.

Tentative Daywise Route:
1. Gosford (or The Entrance)
2. Newcastle (or Williamtown)
3. Hawk's Nest (or Bulahdelah)
4. Tuncurry
5. Port Macquarie
6. Kempsey
7. Coffs Harbour
8. Grafton
9. Evans Head
10. Byron Bay
11. Gold Coast
12. Brisbane

Seeking Suggestions:
a. Any recommended stops or detours along the route?
b. Camping tips for a newcomer in Australia?
c. Ideal places for water replenishment?
d. Safety concerns or precautions specific to the route?

I'd greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey. Looking forward to your valuable input!

Regards,
Sachin

WheelsOfChance

Re: Guidance for Sydney to Brisbane Bicycle Trip

Postby WheelsOfChance » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:27 pm

You can do most of the route on back roads and dirt roads - avoid the main route which is the Pacific Highway wherever possible. A couple of places you will need to be on the Pacific Highway for a few kms - there is usually a good breakdown lane to ride on but the volume of traffic next to you is immense.

Some ideas here -

My web site
https://sites.google.com/view/have-bicy ... -coast-nsw

NSW Coast Cycle Trail
https://www.nswcoastcycle.com/

There are generally plenty of towns and villages so water is not necessarily a problem. However it is the peak of summer. I usually carry 2 litres.

I generally camp in Caravan Parks which will cost you a bit but it is good to have a hot shower and plumbing. There is some wilder camping options in National Parks.

An alternative to Byron Bay is to go a little inland thru Mullumbimby.

I would not try to ride into Brisbane itself due to traffic but would catch a train in on the suburban network - say at Varsity Lakes or Nerang. You can bring your bicycle onto Brisbane trains.

Tony
Last edited by WheelsOfChance on Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tony

WheelsOfChance

Postby WheelsOfChance » Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:39 pm

Also -

You can book ahead at Caravan Parks or luck it and just turn up. I usually ring ahead the day before to check accommodation. Be explicit that you are on a bicycle and you have a very small tent and that you want an unpowered site. The last 2 weeks of January are still in the main holiday season so parks can be filled up.

26 January is Australia Day and a public holiday. Traffic will be heavy. It is also the end of the school holidays so many people returning home.
Tony

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:35 am

A few suggestions :

For MOST of this journey, you should avoid the Motorway !

Strava is your friend !
Use the Strava heat map to guide your road and route selection. If a major road has very little Strava activity, it is either unsafe or unpleasant or both.

I am reasonably familiar with most roads and places between Coffs Harbour and Brisbane.

Coffs Harbour area is attractive but Grafton is not.
Woolgoolga, north of Coffs Harbour is a delightful seaside community with a large Sikh community heritage.

North from Grafton, I reckon that Evans Head would be too far.
Yamba or Iluka would be a more reasonable distance, and there is a great ferry service across the great big Clarence river between Yamba and Iluka.
When I say big river, it is the biggest river on the East coast of Australia !
North of the Clarence River, you will probably have to use the Motorway for about 40 km, then exit the Motorway at Woodburn.
Woodburn or Wardell to Byron Bay would be a nice days ride.
North from Byron Bay, go to Ewingsdale, then Myocum Rd to Mullumbimby, then to Bilinudgel, then to Mooball.
At Mooball there is a wonderful Railtrail that will take you through Murwillumbah to a little town called Condong.
From Condong take Eviron Rd and Plantation Rd to the delightful seaside town of Kingscliff.
Now you can take various shortcuts to Coolangatta Airport and then you will be in the urban chaos that is the Gold Coast.
Here, refer to Strava heatmaps to either ride through to Brisbane, or ride to the Varsity Lakes Railway Station, and catch a train for the 80 km into Brisbane.

Oh and as others have said, Australia Day (January 26th) is a bit of a mad day, usually very hot at this time of year. Don’t be surprised if you see public drunkenness and unruly behaviour.

Unfortunately our weather has been very wet for the past 2 weeks and looks like it might still be wet by the time that you commence your journey.
Best wishes.

sachinik19

Postby sachinik19 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:58 am

Thanks @WheelsOfChance and @elantra for all the details, it's very helpful.