cooks river path blocked

zebee

cooks river path blocked

Postby zebee » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:14 pm

Nicking out this afternoon to find that the cooks river path detour is blocked. With no signage.

Fences have been going up the last couple of days but now they have fenced off the bridge entrance behind the aquatic centre. In fact fenced off the bridge, the centre itself, and the playing fields.

There was a URL on the fence wrapping which I remembered as cb.city/projects/LAC but neither that nor variations or cbcity.nsw.gov.au and variations work, or any searching on their website.

I rang the council but the person on the phone couldn't find anything and it was after 4pm so of course couldn't find anyone to talk to. See if they get back to me....

I suspect that this is a communications breakdown within council with one project not talking to the other one or even not knowing it exists.

Fun bit of course is that the detour now means using the Wairoa St underpass then along Bellombi (parked cars, speed humps, narrow road, and aggro rat runners) to the Lindsay St bridge. Which is OK heading North but the Cowper/Clissold intersection has very bad sightlines going South due to parked cars and a serious dip at the intersection so you are halfway across the lane before you can see anything. Oh and like as not there's someone's bloody great dual cab thing parked across the ramp at the end of Lindsay.

Forget Moore Lane - the entrances usually have cars parked across them and bollards that mean you have to dismount and snake the bike through.

I wonder how long it will take them to put up detour signs? And which detour they will choose?

find_bruce

Re: cooks river path blocked

Postby find_bruce » Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:14 pm

There is this page Canterbury Town Centre Upgrade Stage 2 - no useful information nor any suggestion of the closure you mention, beyond the bland & inaccurate "Road and footpath closures are expected; however, traffic controllers will be on-site to assist pedestrians and vehicles travel safely through the area".

What it does have is contact details "Contact Council’s on Projects Team on projects@cbcity.nsw.gov.au or 0427 133 082."
Anything you can do, I can do slower

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 5:37 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2024 6:14 pm
There is this page Canterbury Town Centre Upgrade Stage 2 - no useful information nor any suggestion of the closure you mention, beyond the bland & inaccurate "Road and footpath closures are expected; however, traffic controllers will be on-site to assist pedestrians and vehicles travel safely through the area".

What it does have is contact details "Contact Council’s on Projects Team on projects@cbcity.nsw.gov.au or 0427 133 082."
the Canterbury Upgrade is what we know as the Cook's River Underpass fix. That set of dreadful hi rises and the "shopping area" with woolies, and the station are "Canterbury Town Centre". Yeah you and me would think that would be on New Canterbury Rd somewhere but no. The official town centre is anchored by the train station and a bunch of very community-unfriendly buildings. Ah well some of them may fall down soon....

No one called me today I'll ring the projects number tomorrow.

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:30 pm

Looks like someone returned the shared brain cell.

They have fixed the fencing so are no longer blocking the bridge or the entrance off Phillips.

The URL is cb.city/CLAC and apparently they are demolishing and rebuilding the pool and gym.

I note that there is nothing about the ice rink.

Timmeh

Postby Timmeh » Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:36 pm

Yep I rode through there yesterday and can confirm that the fencing exists, but you can get through from the bridge ok. Thanks for chasing down council zebee!