AdelaidePeter

Re: 2024 Fatalities

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:54 am

jasonc wrote:
Mon Feb 05, 2024 7:50 pm
Couldn't find a thread
https://www.9news.com.au/national/queen ... 902be7437c
Terrible news :( :(

There is a short of a news story on the crash, including a photo, here https://7news.com.au/news/man-in-his-60 ... c-13417837 . It looks like a major intersection.

"A man has suffered critical injuries in a crash with a car while riding his bicycle through an intersection on the Gold Coast in Queensland. The man in his 60s was riding through Nielsen Rd and Nerang-Broadbeach Rd in Carrara on Wednesday morning when the accident occurred. Paramedics treated him for head, chest and leg injuries before taking him to Gold Coast University Hospital in a critical condition."

Peter A

Postby Peter A » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:30 pm

The cyclist was a well known keen rider in our country Vic area and had moved to GC about 2 yrs ago after
a long battle with illness.
He was enjoying his cycling and riding incredibly well with quick snr. age groups.
A good bloke and very respected in our area, condolences to family, RIP David.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Feb 09, 2024 3:28 pm

Peter A wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:30 pm
The cyclist was a well known keen rider in our country Vic area and had moved to GC about 2 yrs ago after
a long battle with illness.
He was enjoying his cycling and riding incredibly well with quick snr. age groups.
A good bloke and very respected in our area, condolences to family, RIP David.
Very sorry to hear of this tragedy.
A great number of people would have a similar pathway to ending up living on the Gold Coast.
It is a very popular retirement destination for people in Victoria.

But unfortunately it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be.
Sure, the weather in the coastal suburbs of the Gold Coast is pleasantly mild in winter and not disastrously hot in summer.

You would think that it might be a good place for an active retirement lifestyle.
But I don’t think that it is.
The roads conditions generally are crook for serious cycling- either recreational or commuting.

I feel sorry for your loss, his family and the general cycling community.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Mon Feb 12, 2024 5:03 pm

man dies in hospital after two e-bikes collide ... Mont Albert Rd, Canterbury, Melbourne

https://7news.com.au/news/man-dies-in-h ... c-13483697 (heavy on advertising)

very sad father of a 12 year girl on his way home from work

local to me, short steep hill easy to hit 50kmh+ on my gravel bike...Police Officer in video says trying to establish if speed a factor...well the speed limit is 60km/hr and probably shouldn't be. It would be very obvious if either party were riding an illegal ebike capable of over 60km/hr

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Mon Feb 12, 2024 7:41 pm

Not hard to imagine how two e-bikes collide really: inexperience, wandering travel, moving sideways without checking...very common too with e-scooters, and it's not those who are skilled and doing the right thing by prevailing laws, it is the people who have never ridden a bike — any sort of bike, and the e-scooter riders on Lime and Neuron; major, major problems from the very get-go. I have witnessed collisions with e-bikes and e-scooters, e-scooters and pedestrians, e-scooters and cars and e-bikes and trams!

For the record, I have an e-scooter too — since 2020, and served on the working party for introducing e-scooters on a trial in Melbourne CBD, along with Geelong and Ballarat. But...ah...certain people in high places didn't want rules and laws imposed on their proverbial "good day out"... :evil:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

zebee

Postby zebee » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:45 pm

"Nitin Prabhu, 41, was travelling home from work on his e-bike on Mont Albert Rd in Canterbury just before 7pm on January 29 when another e-bike rider tried to overtake him."

They crashed at the bottom of the hill, implying they were both going downhill at the time. Dunno e-bike is relevant here if antigee can do 50 with ease.

Apparently the sound was loud which seems odd if one clipped the other, less so I suppose if the one being overtaken didn't realise it and turned into the other one. If so that is an experience thing in that overtakers should warn and everyone should check before changing direction. But I bet we have all changed direction without checking on a run we are used to doing where there aren't other bikes to watch for.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Feb 19, 2024 8:51 am

https://mypolice.qld.gov.au/news/2024/0 ... keperra-2/
Fatal traffic crash, Keperra
QPS Media on Feb 17, 2024 (AT) 2:33pm

The Forensic Crash Unit is investigating following a fatal traffic crash in Keperra this morning, February 17.

Emergency services were called to Dawson Parade near Madsen Street just after 11am to reports a cyclist had been struck by a Kia Stonic.

Upon arrival, the rider, a 58-year-old Bardon man, was located with life-threatening injuries.
He was declared deceased at the scene.

The driver, a 46-year-old Keperra woman, is assisting police with investigations.

Witnesses or anyone with relevant vision is urged to come forward.

Investigations are continuing.

If you have information for police, contact Policelink by providing information using the online suspicious activity form 24hrs per day at www.police.qld.gov.au/reporting or call 131 444.

Report crime information anonymously via Crime Stoppers. Call 1800 333 000 or report online at www.crimestoppersqld.com.au.

Quote this reference number: QP2400279545

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:51 am

The driver, a 46-year-old Keperra woman, is assisting police with investigations

The 46 year old woman who killed another human being is talking with police to discuss the best approach for minimising consequence for herself.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:55 am

warthog1 wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 9:51 am
The driver, a 46-year-old Keperra woman, is assisting police with investigations

The 46 year old woman who killed another human being is talking with police to discuss the best approach for minimising consequence for herself.
Yes, unfortunately, only one version of the collision is going to be told

Mr Purple

Postby Mr Purple » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 am

Unusual language from a police report - specifically 'struck by' the car.

At least they didn't include the standard media approach of 'the driver was uninjured'. I hate that.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:58 am

Mr Purple wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 am
Unusual language from a police report - specifically 'struck by' the car.

At least they didn't include the standard media approach of 'the driver was uninjured'. I hate that.
Indeed, they usually say "the cyclist collided with a vehicle".

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:33 pm

Cyclist dies after being hit by car in Gippsland

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-02-26/ ... /103513154

uart

Postby uart » Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:34 am

P!N20 wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:33 pm
Cyclist dies after being hit by car in Gippsland
The male cyclist was struck by a car on Bassetts Lane in Glengarry at about 11am.
Streetview: https://shorturl.at/jrAUZ

That's a very strange one. Mid morning on a quite country lane that seems to only service local rural properties. FFS, you'd think you'd be safe there. :cry:

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:59 am

Fatal collision in Knoxfield

15yo boy life ended.
https://www.police.vic.gov.au/fatal-collision-knoxfield

Reported from Victoria Police news. In case it will be deleted.
Tuesday 12 March 2024 1:07am
Emergency services have responded to a fatal collision in Knoxfield overnight.

It’s believed a teenage boy riding a bicycle was struck by a vehicle on Ferntree Gully Road just before 8.30pm.

The driver of the vehicle stopped at the scene and was not injured, nor was her passenger.

The 15-year-old Ferntree Gully boy was taken to hospital but has since died.

The female driver of the vehicle has been interviewed by police and released pending -further enquiries.

The exact circumstances surrounding the collision are yet to be determined and it will be investigated by Major Collision Investigation Unit detectives.

Anyone who witnessed the collision, with dashcam footage or information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

For the current provisional lives lost tally please see https://www.police.vic.gov.au/road-safety-0.

Media Unit

ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:12 am

Getting dark now at 8.30pm in Melbourne.
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:16 pm

And 15-year-old boys are not the most responsible demographic.... I wouldn't be too hasty pinning blame on the driver at this point.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:38 pm

Duck! wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:16 pm
And 15-year-old boys are not the most responsible demographic.... I wouldn't be too hasty pinning blame on the driver at this point.
but I would point at the road having an 80km/hr speed limit and typically higher actual speeds - pretty normal Melbourne highway passing through a residential area with fast food and shops and even a BMX park near the vague location...brief police interview says the young man was killed on a crossing (presume signalized)....may well have been a youthful error but an unforgiving environment:

https://www.facebook.com/10NewsMelb/vid ... 700895601/

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 pm

Duck! wrote:

Neither are 15-year drivers of cars, as witnesseth the deplorable, deliberate running down of two cyclists on Beach Road (and posting to YouTube!) by two louses out on bail. :evil:
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:47 pm

Not really related.... That particular 15-y-o just seems to be a nasty piece of work, facing a string of charges in addition and unrelated to the Beach Rd incidents.

This one I'd surmise to pin down to no lights, therefore not being seen. and poor judgement crossing a high-speed intersection - the kid's presumption of invincibilty failed him this time.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:04 pm

antigee wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:38 pm
Duck! wrote:
but I would point at the road having an 80km/hr speed limit and typically higher actual speeds - pretty normal Melbourne highway passing through a residential area with fast food and shops and even a BMX park near the vague location...brief police interview says the young man was killed on a crossing (presume signalized)....may well have been a youthful error but an unforgiving environment:

https://www.facebook.com/10NewsMelb/vid ... 700895601/
Even the regular teens riding in my area are pretty risk taking, the two yesterday on my way back seemed to think it was fun to swerve about wildly to scare others. One of them ended up nearly bringing himself down. :roll:

That's excluding the ones who are in cycling clubs and race bicycles, those lot are fine and very safe to ride around.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:32 pm

This has just come in on my news feed but about 2 weeks ago on March 7 a Woman was knocked down by a bicycle rider on a Path in St Kilda, Apparently she is now deceased. RIP lady.

Wonder what the media or Police backlash will happen now.

https://7news.com.au/news/woman-dead-af ... u4i0wp5v58

Very sad outcome though.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:39 pm

hearing there was a bicycle death in Canberra today after being hit head on by a car on the wrong side of the road

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:03 pm

jasonc wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:39 pm
hearing there was a bicycle death in Canberra today after being hit head on by a car on the wrong side of the road
Hope that wasn't ol mate Ross (from this forum). He lives there and cycles in the morning.

Who ever it was, RIP mate and condolences to the Family.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:54 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-21/ ... /103614788
ACT Policing said "excessive speed" was a factor in the death of cyclist Alicia Celaya Jauregui, who was hit by a car that crossed onto the wrong side of a road in Canberra on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old Uruguayan tennis coach had recently moved to Canberra and was on her way to work at the time of the crash.

Tennis Canberra Director Robbie Manzano said he and his colleagues were in shock.

"Alicia was our ball of energy, such a vibrant person and those who were able to be coached by her, supervised by her, you are very lucky," he said.

"We had a meeting yesterday, and just the glowing praise we gave her ... speaks words to her personality.

"Alicia moved here recently by herself, so we were her family down in Canberra."

Mr Manzano said she had started "creating a name for herself in the tennis industry in a such a short space of time".

"The saddest part is Alicia was loving her time here in Canberra. Every week I'd ask her, 'How are you finding Canberra? Do you miss the Gold Coast?' And without hesitation, she would say she loved it here," Mr Manzano said.
Young driver cooperating with police

Police said the driver involved in the collision with Ms Celaya Jauregui was an 18-year-old P-plater from New South Wales who was behind the wheel of a grey BMW sedan.

Officers said the man was cooperating with the investigation.

Emergency services were called to Lady Denman Drive, adjacent to the Glenloch Interchange, about 2:30pm yesterday.

Ms Celaya Jauregui was taken to the Canberra Hospital in a critical condition and was declared dead.

Her death has taken the ACT's 2024 road toll to two.

ACT Road Policing Acting Inspector Travis Mills said several witnesses had already come forward to share information with police.

"The cyclist was actually travelling lawfully upon the road, so the cyclist wasn't actually on the footpath or the cycle lane adjacent to the roadway," Acting Inspector Mills said.

"It appears the vehicle has crossed onto the incorrect side of the road into the path of the cyclist, and as a result has collided with the cyclist.

"The driver of the vehicle was driving in excess of the posted speed limit. If he were driving within the posted speed limit, I imagine this collision wouldn't have occurred."

Acting Inspector Mills said it had taken police some time to contact the woman's family.

"I can only imagine how loved ones and friends of victims, or quite frankly, [anyone who experiences a] loss of life feels at the time of notification," he said.

“It would probably be like having the wind sucked out of your sails."