Accident & Insurance claim

3Tsydneyrider

Accident & Insurance claim

Postby 3Tsydneyrider » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:00 pm

Hey team - just seeking some guidance/ advice on approaching an insurance claim.

Background:
Yesterday as I was involved in an accident on my ride. It had been raining so roads were a bit wet but not raining at the time. I was travelling along a main road (single lane each direction) and as I approached an intersection there was a car waiting to turn right in front of me (to travel in opposite direction to me). The driver looked the other way and once clear proceeded to drive into my path of travel without seeing me. I hit the car around 25km/h. My bike was stopped by the car but I flew across the bonnet and onto the road. I hit my knee on the car but injuries not too significant. Bike is pretty banged up and I didn’t have rider/ bike insurance myself. I have a big charity ride coming up in a few weeks that I’ve been training for and don’t feel I should be without a bike for the coming weeks, missing out on my training and ride given it was not my fault (driver claimed full responsibility) and a carbon bike that has had impact at such a speed could be another accident waiting to happen.

Question:
Given the speed at which I hit the car, should I be claiming for a replacement bike? My bike is carbon frame and wheels which I read can be quite dangerous if the frame is invisibly cracked.

Any stories that can be shared or advice on this will be greatly appreciated.

zebee

Re: Accident & Insurance claim

Postby zebee » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:09 pm

The insurer will want a bike shop quote. I expect that any bike shop told that a carbon bike crashed front end first into a car at above walking pace will say the frame is toast.

So your first job is to go to a bike shop, two if you can, and ask them for an insurance quote. That forms part of your letter to the driver's insurance. If, as I expect, they write it off, then you want enough money to buy a suitable replacement. Meaning you ask the insurer for replacement value. They will try to fob you off with market value, don't let them. Decline that and say you want to be made whole and that means you want a bike.

Dodgy-Knee

Re: Accident & Insurance claim

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:42 am

This topic has come up recently before ... as per the other posts, keep a record of ALL correspondence whether it's by letter, email, text.

If you are injured or develop pain subsequent to your accident, see your doctor and get a written assessment.

A carbon frame or wheel may look OK at first inspection but it might also have developed small cracks that can fail under a sudden load (eg. hitting a bump at speed) ... go for full replacement value so that you can get back to riding a safe bike without the worry and possibility of another accident.

Good luck with getting a replacement and hopefully you'll be out there again soon

ps - might also be a good idea to invest in a front and rear bike camera.... the video footage can sometimes be the tie-breaker in a dead-heat argument between cyclist and driver.