Bell/ horn recommendation please

celeste boy

Bell/ horn recommendation please

Postby celeste boy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:04 am

So I bought an $8 bell off eBay which gives a continuous ring. Turns out the battery fitting is substandard and I needed to open it with pliers and a screwdriver. I gave negative feedback but was offered a refund if I gave positive feedback.
In practice yesterday on bike tracks it worked for 4+ pedestrians/dog walkers but had no effect on 5 people. 2 had earbuds in and one old bloke looked up in the trees for the birds!
What I’m looking for is something with a deeper sound and loud. I assume it will be battery operated.
Maybe not too big.
Cheers
Cb

CmdrBiggles

Re: Bell/ horn recommendation please

Postby CmdrBiggles » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 am

Battery operated?? Why??
Look for Arundel's Isabell (small) or the larger, undeniably loud Jezebell with its shiny brass and very loud gonngg.
They can be found here in Melbourne (CWC process and send off orders quickly). If you're in NSW, it would be 3-4 days posted.

Isabell:
https://cecilwalker.com.au/a/bike-bells ... bell/54259

Jezebell:
https://cecilwalker.com.au/a/bike-bells ... bell/53664
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:58 pm

Too old to live, too slow to die.

celeste boy

Postby celeste boy » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:20 pm

Thanks for those replies.
Let me explain further. I am hard of hearing myself, any bell, although loud is not heard by people who have lost the upper register of sounds. Hence some old people on bike tracks don’t even hear a bell. My audiologist prescribed hearing aids which detected high sounds but I heard them as a thud like sound.
Birds, bells, whistles and recorders sounded like a thump on a table.
I have cochlear implants now and I’m more aware of people who just don’t hear these sounds. After ringing my bell and passing, some old people just about have a heart attack. And I’m not up to date with CPR!
Those bells recommended so far are not what I need. If an electric bell as described in my original past fails 5 times, I need something else.

Andy01

Postby Andy01 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:02 pm

I have a Crane e-ne brass (not alloy) bell which is as good or better than most bells. It tends to have a more "lasting" ring to it than my previous cheapie (like Giant OEM) bells. I find that most people seem to hear it, but there are certainly some that either don't hear it or choose not to react.

But, if a pedestrian is either using earplugs/phones which seems to be getting more and more common, or they are an elderly person hard of hearing, I don't think that there is much out there that they will hear - except, by the description, something like an Airzound (I hope I got that right) that some people use.

My 84 yo mother is deaf as a post and without her hearing aids her landline phone (on maximum volume) can ring when it is right next to her and she is blissfully unaware. With her hearing aids working she can usually hear the phone if it is right next to her, but more than 3m away and no go. She would literally need a ship's foghorn to be effective on a shared path.

Mike Ayling

Postby Mike Ayling » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

+1 for the Copper/Brass Crane
Recreational e bikes - for the sick, lame and lazy!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm

CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 am
Battery operated?? Why??
Look for Arundel's Isabell (small) or the larger, undeniably loud Jezebell with its shiny brass and very loud gonngg.
They can be found here in Melbourne (CWC process and send off orders quickly). If you're in NSW, it would be 3-4 days posted.

Isabell:

Jezebell:
Perfect for round handlebars… for everyone else forget it.

Why do these bell manufacturers forget that not all bars are perfectly round?

CmdrBiggles

Postby CmdrBiggles » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:17 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:56 pm
CmdrBiggles wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:40 am
Battery operated?? Why??

Isabell:

Jezebell:

Why do these bell manufacturers forget that not all bars are perfectly round?
I don't believe earth is round either.
My carbon bars are flat left and right from the stem, then round all the way to the ends. Same for all the others, innit?
This round bit is where you can put a tinker-bell — close to the business bit of operating the brakes and the shifters, much like SRAM recommends as the best attachment point for its peculiarly shaped SRAM Blips (satellite shifters, to you, me and other bewildered among us...).
GIANT 2024 TCR Advanced Pro Disc 0 AR | GT 2014 Zaskar 29er | 2022 Dragon Raptor e-scooter [Yellow Peril]

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm

g-boaf wrote:

There’s a whole thread from last month on this topic (I think “bell or no bell”?).

There’s dozens of alternatives out there, before you even start talking about modifying the mounts.

Edit: the thread is here.

I love brass bells, and the wider the lower the tone.

I was going to flippantly mention air horns but that leads to the inevitable question: what’s the point? If they can’t / won’t hear you and you’re in a shared space then just slow down. It’s not a race.
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 pm

Thoglette wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:55 pm
g-boaf wrote:

There’s a whole thread from last month on this topic (I think “bell or no bell”?).

There’s dozens of alternatives out there, before you even start talking about modifying the mounts.

Edit: the thread is here.

I love brass bells, and the wider the lower the tone.

I was going to flippantly mention air horns but that leads to the inevitable question: what’s the point? If they can’t / won’t hear you and you’re in a shared space then just slow down. It’s not a race.
Some folk don’t know how to slow down around pedestrians, I seem to be one of the rare people who does slow down when needed.

Really, if you are careful enough then a bell isn’t necessary except for satisfying a law.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:33 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:27 pm

Really, if you are careful enough then a bell isn’t necessary except for satisfying a law.
Well said. :wink:
Dogs are the best people :wink: