WTS - Ballarat - Lugged CrMo Malvern Star Triathlete

Members classifieds for selling bicycles / parts. PRIVATE OFFERS ONLY
Forum rules
Newbies, please read the Market Place Rules before posting in this section. NEW UPDATED RULES !!!

Post Title Format: [Your Location] Item Title

WTS no longer required - and your location is required.

WTS - Ballarat - Lugged CrMo Malvern Star Triathlete

Postby barefoot » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:51 pm

I bartered this bike a few months ago... but have to admit it's not for me. Hopefully somebody else will feel the love.

I date it as late '80s to early '90s. It would have been quite a nice bike in its time.

The brief details:
62cm C-C seat tube
57cm top tube
Lugged double-butted CrMo; maybe Japanese, maybe Taiwanese.
Appears to have a full Shimano Exage 500EX groupset. Not sure about the hubs, headset, BB etc, but the derailers, crankset, brakes and levers are all 500.

I usually fit a ~55cm frame, but I find this one very comfortable to ride as long as I don't try to stand over the top tube :oops: . Yeah, it's big. Not what would be considered "triathlon" geometry these days.

The remarkable thing about this bike is the condition of it. It appears to have been ridden a handful of times when new, then laid up in a shed for 20 years. Time has taken its toll, but overall condition is stunning.

It was grimy when I picked it up. I gave the frame a good wipe down with citrus degreaser and started to realise how good a state it was in. So I stopped, to let somebody do a proper resto job if they choose.

The tyres and tubes were perished (but still near new for wear), so I put a pair of basic Michelins on it. I rode about 20km on it, and it certainly is a sweet ride.

The photos...

Non-drive side:

Lugs:

Rear derailer - yes, dropouts are horizontal if you want to build a retro fixie:

Brake - see how worn the original pads are? A few spots of surface rust through the paint:

Pedals - Shimano. Old-school cleats and straps. Plastic toe clips aren't brittle:

Decals are in generally good shape; Most of the bolts and other un-painted parts have surface rust:

Rims: Alesa double-wall. Black anodised sidewalls have barely been touched by a brake pad:

Fork end: I've had the wheel in and out a couple of times - the intact paint suggests I may have been the first!

Looking to sell the whole bike, hoping for $350. Will consider breaking it up if there's interest in parts. I'm in Ballarat.
Last edited by barefoot on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
barefoot

by BNA » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 am

BNA

Postby kukamunga » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:29 am

I sold a different colored version of same model bike in as good a condition and similar size on eBay last year for about that amount. Nice looking bike!
God save the ABC & SBS.....
kukamunga

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:13 am

Moved to the correct forum.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------------------------
My web site: www.scenebyhird.com
---------------------------------------
The Bicycle Transportation Alliance
Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:03 am

G'day

Nice bike. As it has been moved, the subject line needs updating to reflect the sticky. Can you please do this Barefoot.

Thanks
Andrew
Aushiker

Postby itsaghostcar » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

Damn - too big for me :cry:
itsaghostcar

Postby barefoot » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:37 pm

Aushiker wrote:Nice bike. As it has been moved, the subject line needs updating to reflect the sticky. Can you please do this Barefoot.

Fixed.

< /shameless_bump >
barefoot

Postby Aushiker » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Thanks.

Shameless post whoring or manners. Take your pick :)

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby bJay » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:47 pm

Does the BB have standard brittish threading - ie. would a normal shimano BB I buy now thread easily into this...?

Sorry if this is a stupid question :oops:
bJay

Postby barefoot » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:46 am

bJay wrote:Does the BB have standard brittish threading - ie. would a normal shimano BB I buy now thread easily into this...?

I expect so. Bikes of this era - especially good quality stuff from Asian factories - tended to follow what we now consider "standard" component specs pretty tightly. They're standard square-taper ("cotterless") cranks, and I'd be stunned if it wasn't a standard British BB.

That said, the BB that's in there has done a couple of hundred k at most, and assuming it's comparable quality to the rest of the components, it will have a lot of miles left in it.

tim
barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:30 pm

I've decided to separate this bike, keep some bits for my next build project, and sell the rest.

So, I'm looking for any interest in:
* Frameset (including headset and seatpost)
* Wheelset (including 7-speed cassette)
* Brakes
* Pedals
* Rear derailer

tim
Last edited by barefoot on Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
barefoot

Postby kukamunga » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:35 pm

Tim. There's a bit of discussion here on steel frame weights, and having been the (albeit brief) owner of one of these bikes, I'd be interested to know the 'bare' weight of this frame, if possible. I felt they were pretty good quality steel tubing..... :roll:
kukamunga

Postby milkman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:55 am

I am interested in the wheelset.

Regards,
David
milkman

Postby barefoot » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:35 am

PM sent re: wheels.

I've stripped the frame down to just the headset cups - looking for a suitable set of scales to get a weight.

The headset is unusual! The top bearing is upside-down compared with a normal one. The cone is pressed into the frame, and the cup screws down the steerer over the top of the cone.

Anybody ever seen such a thing?!

I also noticed a bit of paint damage on the right chain stay, where a tyre has rubbed. Light rust says that it happened a very long time ago.

tim
barefoot

Postby kukamunga » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:49 am

barefoot wrote:The headset is unusual! The top bearing is upside-down compared with a normal one. The cone is pressed into the frame, and the cup screws down the steerer over the top of the cone.

Anybody ever seen such a thing?!

Yep. I've probably got one or two examples somewhere on similar era bikes
kukamunga

Postby barefoot » Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:16 pm

Only suitable scales I have are the bathroom scales, which measure to the nearest 100g (but I wouldn't trust them beyond +/- 300g or so :? ).

With headset cups [1], seatpost clamp bolts and two sets of bidon mount bolts, it weighed in at 2.3kg. That's not too shabby for such a big frame, I don't think :-)

tim

[1] well... one cup and one cone - as above, it's an unconventional headset
barefoot

Postby windlessdog » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:18 pm

The frame is remarkably like my southcott ProTour frame that is Tange 5 plain gauge tubes, the lugs are the same pump nipple as well as rear brake mount and rear gear cable lug does anyone know more? was it distributed by southcott .
windlessdog

Return to Member to Member Bike and Gear Sales