M7 Safety Alert Thread

Retrobyte

Re: M7 Safety Alert Thread

Postby Retrobyte » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:13 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:15 am

I think a toilet in place of the repair station would be more useful for many. I realise that requires more cost (plumbing), but at least it would provide value for all users rather than this repair station which as stated above provides little value for most users. While they are at it, if not already, a CCTV of the bubbler area to deter vandalism of assets might be good.
Plumbing should be dead easy, given there is already a bubbler there. I agree with you, toilets somewhere on the M7 path as well as a couple more bubble sites makes total sense. Look at the Parramatta River and Oly Park paths, there is no shortage of bubblers or taps no more than one or two kms apart at any point along the path.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 pm

On the good news front, it sounds like there is going to be a dedicated cycleway/shared path on the M12 extension, going to the new airport

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cy ... 595ao.html

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:18 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:34 pm
On the good news front, it sounds like there is going to be a dedicated cycleway/shared path on the M12 extension, going to the new airport

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/cy ... 595ao.html
Larger image:
https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.19 ... 9db0c80809
https://static.ffx.io/images/$zoom_0.13 ... 3f9f92bd30

I hope we don't lose Col du Elizabeth Drive! :shock: :lol:

peter

Postby peter » Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:20 am

Pretty cool, a 32km round trip extension, with hopefully some good sceneries. Will be a popular cycling route.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:37 am

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:18 pm

I hope we don't lose Col du Elizabeth Drive! :shock: :lol:

I do!! :mrgreen: :oops:

admittedly I "somewhat" :shock: enjoy the 5-7km/h climb..... there's a 70km/h descent on the other side :twisted:
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2
Rotovelo Across Australia

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 pm

Looked like a pretty nasty accident on the M7 this morning - fingers crossed the rider who was down is okay and kudos to the emergency services who were there quite quickly.

No idea what happened as I only came along later.

Retrobyte

Postby Retrobyte » Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am

g-boaf wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:57 pm
Looked like a pretty nasty accident on the M7 this morning - fingers crossed the rider who was down is okay and kudos to the emergency services who were there quite quickly.

Discussion on Facebook suggests it was a bunch crash, or someone who encountered a bunch. With the tight bends in places, pinch points and manhole covers to avoid the M7 shared path isn't a place for groups any larger than 3 or 4. I've seen bunches of 15-20 there at times, which is crazy on a path.

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:58 am

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am
g-boaf wrote:

Discussion on Facebook suggests it was a bunch crash, or someone who encountered a bunch. With the tight bends in places, pinch points and manhole covers to avoid the M7 shared path isn't a place for groups any larger than 3 or 4. I've seen bunches of 15-20 there at times, which is crazy on a path.
At the very least, the bunches should ride single file, especially where the path narrows (indicated by an unbroken white line).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:16 pm

Retrobyte wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:42 am
g-boaf wrote:

It sounds like you weren't there, right?

Up to 10 is okay, it's how they ride that is the problem. I sometimes used to ride home from work with one of the race teams from the northern end of the M7, they were great - very safe to ride with, kept together neatly and always on their side of the path. These same guys on the weekend I occasionally see - sometimes in a bigger group but always safe and considerate. :idea:

I've seen bunches of two all over the place and encountered exactly such a bunch today and another one yesterday, in the same spot where despite being warned, the old guy turned even more to the wrong side of the path. I keep far to the left in that spot because I'm expecting it.

The accident yesterday wasn't in a tight section - actually one of the widest sections. Key is to ride to the conditions. Same anywhere really.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 am

I agree with g-boaf. I have ridden in large bunches that were quite safe when riding single file. I have more issues with groups of 2 riding side by side through blind corners and crossing the centre line.

Actually I would prefer it if there were a single file rule, as side by side riders travelling slowly mean overtakers need to go to the other side of the path. I realise of course that social riders want to chat side by side and ride slow and should be able to do that and would prefer overtaking riders to just go slower. But that is just my opinion.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:45 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:36 am
I agree with g-boaf. I have ridden in large bunches that were quite safe when riding single file. I have more issues with groups of 2 riding side by side through blind corners and crossing the centre line.

Actually I would prefer it if there were a single file rule, as side by side riders travelling slowly mean overtakers need to go to the other side of the path. I realise of course that social riders want to chat side by side and ride slow and should be able to do that and would prefer overtaking riders to just go slower. But that is just my opinion.
I find it’s harder to overtake the bunches that are strung out. If it’s 6 people that are 2 abreast, that’s effectively just 3 I need to go past and it’s pretty easy. I just warn them and wait until it’s clear and safe to do so.

The long groups make it harder because I have to really punch the speed up and hope nobody is coming the other way until I clear all of them. I won’t attempt to pass unless it’s clear to do so and I can see well ahead.

If I see a bunch coming the other way and I’m riding with others I drop back and go as far left as I can.

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:38 pm

The dangerous spots for the 2 abreast are all those locations where the track does quick left / rights etc, as it heads underneath the road or on/off ramps. Especially those where it is downhill, and people can be carrying speed. The turns are reasonably tight, and blind so you can’t see what is around the corner. Unfortunately they catch people out.

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:30 pm

I haven’t done bunch rides on the M7 for some time, but when I did, our group was about as tight as you can get and very disciplined. The path is a lot busier than a few years ago, but roadworks in the area have also opened up some on-road options that were not there before. The Northern Rd is a ripper…i’m doing 40km/h+ solo on an almost 4 metre wide road shoulder on ultra smooth hot mix. No need to use the shared path adjacent to it.
These days i am solo on the M7 when transiting to places like Camden/Picton. About the only time it’s safe on the M7 path for a group now is mid-winter at night.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '16 Cervelo R5, '18 Mason BokekTi

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 pm

queequeg wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:30 pm
I haven’t done bunch rides on the M7 for some time, but when I did, our group was about as tight as you can get and very disciplined. The path is a lot busier than a few years ago, but roadworks in the area have also opened up some on-road options that were not there before. The Northern Rd is a ripper…i’m doing 40km/h+ solo on an almost 4 metre wide road shoulder on ultra smooth hot mix. No need to use the shared path adjacent to it.
These days i am solo on the M7 when transiting to places like Camden/Picton. About the only time it’s safe on the M7 path for a group now is mid-winter at night.
I haven't ridden, or driven on the Northern road for a while now, due to the ongoing roadworks, then lockdowns etc. Might go and give it a run at some stage.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:48 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:05 pm
queequeg wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 10:30 pm
I haven't ridden, or driven on the Northern road for a while now, due to the ongoing roadworks, then lockdowns etc. Might go and give it a run at some stage.
It's apparently okay, but I suppose you still get motorbikes swerving onto the shoulder as in the old days? I haven't gone near there for years and years.

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:50 am

Where is the Northern Rd? There are several in Sydney I see on Google Maps, but none right beside the M7?

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm

vosadrian wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:50 am
Where is the Northern Rd? There are several in Sydney I see on Google Maps, but none right beside the M7?
The Northern Rd, Narellan to Penrith, there's now a fully sealed separated pathway along its full length...
It can be accessed from the Prestons end of the M7 path... take the separated pathway along Camden Valley Way, cross Cowpasture Road and head west along the separated path to Bringelly
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:30 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:48 pm
It's apparently okay, but I suppose you still get motorbikes swerving onto the shoulder as in the old days? I haven't gone near there for years and years.

g-boaf, it's had a HUGE improvement..
you would't recognise it these days....dual lane each direction, sepataed cycleway the length of it.... I'd recommend giving it a go 8)

kerb & guttering, I doubt you'd get motorcycles on it now... it's not isolated like the M7 path where the bogans can run riot
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:32 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm
vosadrian wrote:
The Northern Rd, Narellan to Penrith, there's now a fully sealed separated pathway along its full length...
It can be accessed from the Prestons end of the M7 path... take the separated pathway along Camden Valley Way, cross Cowpasture Road and head west along the separated path to Bringelly
I had no idea! I though it was just the road shoulder.

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 pm

g-boaf wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:32 pm
recumbenteer wrote:
vosadrian wrote:
Not any more..... The Northern Road has had a major upgrade over the last few years, you wouldn't recognise it from the old days.... :shock: :D :D Even the road shoulder is good to ride on, I've done Bringelly to Narellan on road... no probs at all :D :D
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

caneye

Postby caneye » Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 am

thanks for the heads up on the Norther Road.
what's a good loop to do?
M7 Prestons > Camden Valley Way > Bringelly Road > Northern Road .. which way to head back to M7? Elizabeth Drive?

LateStarter

Postby LateStarter » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:22 pm

recumbenteer wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:45 pm
g-boaf wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:32 pm
recumbenteer wrote:

Not any more..... The Northern Road has had a major upgrade over the last few years, you wouldn't recognise it from the old days.... :shock: :D :D Even the road shoulder is good to ride on, I've done Bringelly to Narellan on road... no probs at all :D :D

I get very annoyed by the "separated pathway" like along Camden Valley Way. If it not multi button press stages to get over one road its pointless button presses for roads that don't actually exist except for 50m dead ends (to be continued...) or button presses so the non-existing cars can make quick right or left turns. These easily double the time necessary to traverse those sections and because there is a "separated pathway" they seem to not put in a usable shoulder but pointless road side flower arrangements instead ! You would think I would get used to be a third class road user but I just get grumpier. Haven't done Northern Road, hope its better.
Bill (Long Distance Dreamer)
2008 Cannondale Touring 2, 2013 Vivente World Randonneur, 2015 Lynskey Sportive Disc

recumbenteer

Postby recumbenteer » Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:37 pm

caneye wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 am
thanks for the heads up on the Norther Road.
what's a good loop to do?
M7 Prestons > Camden Valley Way > Bringelly Road > Northern Road .. which way to head back to M7? Elizabeth Drive?
at Narellan, head back to Prestons on Camden Valley Way (CVW) (shared path from Sharman Cl/Fairwater Dr) or the road shoulder is ok

you'll meet back up with Bringelly road, then back down CVW to the M7
Trisled Rotovelo Mk 2

robbo mcs

Postby robbo mcs » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:49 pm

I did the northern road today, from Penrith to Narellan and back. Did one direction on the bike path and one on the road shoulder.

The bikepath is pretty good, not too many intersections, and most of them you can roll through pretty easily, due to lack of traffic. However, one really annoying thing, the bikepath changes from side to side, seemingly at random, and with no warning. A few times I ended up at a dead end, only to realise I was supposed to cross over at the last intersection, even though there was no signage :roll:

The road shoulder is great. Extremely wide, smooth hotmix, and not much debris at all.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:32 pm

robbo mcs wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:49 pm
I did the northern road today, from Penrith to Narellan and back. Did one direction on the bike path and one on the road shoulder.

The bikepath is pretty good, not too many intersections, and most of them you can roll through pretty easily, due to lack of traffic. However, one really annoying thing, the bikepath changes from side to side, seemingly at random, and with no warning. A few times I ended up at a dead end, only to realise I was supposed to cross over at the last intersection, even though there was no signage :roll:

The road shoulder is great. Extremely wide, smooth hotmix, and not much debris at all.
I'm going to try it tomorrow - I would have gone that way today but unfortunately Lake Brenera water-level was high...