Music to Ride Too

Aushiker

Music to Ride Too

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:03 am

G'day

Had a great commute tonight. My best time to Freo. Of course the NW west whilst heading south had nothing to do with it :-) But it was offset by the sandblasting along Port Beach.

Anyway, whilst listening to Mark Seymour's new album, Westgate, pumping out of the Ipod, it made me wonder what others listened to, if anything whilst riding.

Care to share?

Regards
Andrew

triode12

Postby triode12 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:08 am

Isn't it a bit dangerous to be listening to music while riding a bike in the city?

A pedestrian was run down by a tram in Melbourne recently bec he was too busy listening to his ipod while crossing the road.

There is a reason as to why car drivers are not allowed to wear headphones while driving.

Kev365428

Postby Kev365428 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:10 am

triode12 wrote:Isn't it a bit dangerous to be listening to music while riding a bike in the city?

A pedestrian was run down by a tram in Melbourne recently bec he was too busy listening to his ipod while crossing the road.

There is a reason as to why car drivers are not allowed to wear headphones while driving.
Bah, fun police. :roll: Does that mean deaf people aren't allowed to drive?

But if it makes you feel any better, when in traffic I remove the right ear plug so I hear approaching traffic.

I tend to listen to the Jays when riding. I like the variety and unexpectedness of what they play...plus no ads.

Kev.

X-wing

Postby X-wing » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:46 am

Great thread idea Andrew!

I resisted riding to music for years on my motorbike, but after using my iPod on an overnight ride from Sydney to Brisbane, I haven't looked back.

When cycling it depends on my mood... if I am going for a bit of a blast, of if there is a hill coming up, I get Rammstein happening :twisted:... nothing like a driving bass line and powerful chords to get the heart pumping. And I know just enough German to get the jokes in their lyrics.

If I am out there to do a bit of a distance, I don't mind admitting to a bit of 80's pop (Cindy Lauper, A-Ha, Roxy Music :oops: ), electronica (Jean-Michel Jarre, Art of Noise, Tangerine Dream). For those days when I need to feel inspired, I play Pink Floyd 8), Camel or Wishbone Ash.

cheers,
Marcus

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:12 am

Nothing, I don't like depriving myself of one of the senses which keeps me alive while riding.

And just to keep the grumpy theme going there's only one 'o' in 'Music to ride too' :wink:

europa
Location: southern end of Adelaide - home of hills, fixies and drop bears

Postby europa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:24 am

Nothing for me either, but that's not because I'm a card carrying member of the fun police, not because I don't like music, not because my sanity levels have dropped to alarming levels, not because I don't have an Ipod (I don't, I have a Samsung :D ), it's because my brain is so busy while riding that I don't have a reason to listen to other stuff. It's like driving the MG - the radio is never on. However, when I climb into the Falchoon, I turn on the mp3 player and listen to audio books - currently working through Spike Milligan's War Diaries (well worth listening to Spike relate his exeriences, even if you've read the book in dead tree form).

Richard
I had a good bike ... so I fixed it

gururug

Postby gururug » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:27 am

80 rock, punk, disco;

i.e.;

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way
Ramones - I wanna be sedated
Bee Gees - Stayin Alive (One for all you safety freaks out there)

etc.

Basically anything thats not soppy

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:37 am

gururug wrote:80 rock, punk, disco;

i.e.;

Lenny Kravitz - Are you gonna go my way
Ramones - I wanna be sedated
Bee Gees - Stayin Alive (One for all you safety freaks out there)

etc.

Basically anything thats not soppy
The idea being to stimulate you into greater effort - the faster you go, the less of it you have to listen too :shock:

Richard

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:32 am

Kev365428 wrote:
Bah, fun police. :roll: Does that mean deaf people aren't allowed to drive?
Yes, they are allowed to drive but then in a car they also have a metal cage around them and mirrors so they can see what is happening behind. Cyclists do not have these and require all their senses to stay alive.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:52 am

Kev365428 wrote:I tend to listen to the Jays when riding. I like the variety and unexpectedness of what they play...plus no ads.

Kev.
Ah, a discerning radio-phile! My reasons exactly. Listening to them right now! The Sound Lab is my preferred show, but you need to stream it from their web site if you're not related to Dracula (comes on 11.00pm on a Sunday night ....). Andrew, that's my suggestion for ride music - experimental music.

I've tried listening to music when I ride because I just love music, but my ears are just the wrong shape to hold the buds. The wind blows them out of my ears all the time, so I just gave up.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:03 am

triode12 wrote:A pedestrian was run down by a tram in Melbourne recently bec he was too busy listening to his ipod while crossing the road.
So do you know why the pedestrian had his/her ipod over their eyes? :shock:

Do you listern to a radio/CD player whatever in your car?

Do you use a handsfree mobile when driving?

I ride using my eyes. I find LOOKING to most effective way of knowing what is happening around me.

Oh, I also can hear .... like I do in my car :-)

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

uMP2k

Postby uMP2k » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:04 am

tuco wrote:Nothing, I don't like depriving myself of one of the senses which keeps me alive while riding.
Ditto!

Even if riding along a bike path (like the freeway path here in Perth) I like to be able to hear what is going on around me. And, if there is no traffic, or little traffic, it is just nice to hear the sounds of the river!
Aushiker wrote: I ride using my eyes. I find LOOKING to most effective way of knowing what is happening around me

Regards
Andrew
Yes, but on a bike it is not easy to LOOK at what is coming up behind you - I would rather hear the massed group ride roaring up behind me at 40kph before they fly past pushing me into the weeds!

tuco

Postby tuco » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:21 am

Aushiker wrote:I ride using my eyes. I find LOOKING to most effective way of knowing what is happening around me.
I remember reading a scifi novel many years ago and one person out of the entire population could hear, the rest being born deaf. He was seen as a very gifted person being able to know when things were approaching long before the others knew.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:28 am

uMP2k wrote: Yes, but on a bike it is not easy to LOOK at what is coming up behind you

What do you do when you hear say a car coming up behind you say at an roundabout? What do you do if you don't hear a car coming up behind you at say a roundabout?

I have found so far that I hear the cars behind me around the same distance, i.e, when they are right up to me, Ipod or no Ipod.

I always look when approaching anything tight, when a turn is coming up and so on, whether I have the Ipod or don't.

I guess it works for some and not others.

Regards
Andrew

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:38 am

During my recent few rides, I keep getting the old Queen song "I want to ride my bicycle".

Dunno the proper name, but it just keeps going round .....

heavymetal
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Music to Ride Too

Postby heavymetal » Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:17 pm

Aushiker wrote:it made me wonder what others listened to, if anything whilst riding.
heavymetal :D
There is only one BicycleWA.

twowheels

Postby twowheels » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 pm

Roadhouse Blues by The Doors was always good to walk to work with, it has a really good walking rhythm beat, probably good for cadence also.

Foo Fighters - any song, any album, anywhere, anytime!
Green Day - Dookie, Nimrod, Insomniac nice & thrashy tempo
Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks - good anger release

beat & tempo for riding

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:13 pm

MichaelB wrote:During my recent few rides, I keep getting the old Queen song "I want to ride my bicycle".

Dunno the proper name, but it just keeps going round .....
That'd be Bicycle Race. :)

I keep the music in my head, not my pocket. :wink:

Iron Maiden for a rev, jazz for the cruise.
The bassline from Dopes "Take Your Best Shot" for hills.

Shaun
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:16 pm

I'm a fence-sitter on this one (and bl**dy uncomfortable it is too).
Most of my shorter rides are on roads / bike lanes - I don't feel a need for music and I do feel a need for maximum awareness.
On longer rides, I'm pretty good at occupying myself with thoughts and 'playing' music in my head, but having something to do it for me is tempting. That said, I'm concerned about music masking what's going on around me too. I will have to get off and stand on one side of the fence or the other one day - three hours plus without some form of 'company' is pretty boring.
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

LuckyPierre

Postby LuckyPierre » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:22 pm

Mulger bill wrote: The bassline from Dopes "Take Your Best Shot" for hills.
I find Mark Knopfler's guitar work in 'Local Hero' good for hills (I am old after all)
Litespeed Classic - 3Al/2.5V titanium tube set, Record 9-speed groupset, Open Corsa Evo CX
Alchemy Diablo - Columbus Zonal tubing, Ultegra 9-speed groupset, UltraGatorskins
Gitane Rocks T1 - U6 tubing, Deore/XT groupset, CrossMarks

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:26 pm

LuckyPierre wrote:I'm a fence-sitter on this one
I was a fence sitter or more "I don't need music" sitter and I still don't on my walking (backpacking at least) and initially I didn't bother with the commutes, but now I have tried it, I find it makes it that much more enjoyable.

I don't bother on the local walks/rides and I wouldn't on my MTB rides as I like to "experience" the bush.

Regards
Andrew

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:49 pm

I don't like anything that distracts me from my zone. I'm funny like that. I only listen to the voices in my head. You know I beat Jan Ullrich in a time trial once... :roll:

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:51 pm

moosterbounce wrote:I only listen to the voices in my head.
They've got pills for that now :shock:

Richard

tallywhacker

Postby tallywhacker » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:56 pm

Aushiker wrote:What do you do when you hear say a car coming up behind you say at an roundabout? What do you do if you don't hear a car coming up behind you at say a roundabout?
Last August when I was hit from behind on a roundabout (Central Ave, Mt Lawley), I heard the car and at least I was prepared in that I knew which way to fall. I ended up grabbing the car and getting spat out behind rather than slamming into the lamppost on my left (no, he didnt stop even with me bouncing down the side of his car).

europa

Postby europa » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:13 pm

The closest I've come to being tagged was a truck who's mirror passed over my shoulder and just missed my ear - I knew he was there but it being a straight bit of road, wasn't about to take any evasive action. I could have done without hearing my son's gasp behind me (he saw it and reported how close the idiot was) :(

Richard