Shogun Appreciation Society

uart

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society

Postby uart » Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:51 pm

Releng wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 pm
I am nervous about the Lee Chi brakes on the Samurai.
They feel cheap and there are some big hills around here. Does anyone have any experience with them ?
With decent brake pads they will probably perform about the same as any single pivot side pull brakes.

If you're accustomed to dual pivot (or V or disc) then most single pivot brakes are going to feel a bit inferior.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:35 pm

Releng wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:10 pm
I am nervous about the Lee Chi brakes on the Samurai.
They feel cheap and there are some big hills around here. Does anyone have any experience with them ?
I think anyone who's been around bikes for a while has tripped over these at some point.

Rx100 did come in a very nice dual-pivot caliper in two reaches from memory. I think the Shogun needed medium reach (around 50mm), I can check this if you like. I'd suggest fitting some nice Shimano dual-pivots

which you should be able to find for not-many-$s on eBay/Gumtree/Farcebook Marketplace and treating them to new cables/housing/pads.
Campagnolo for show, SunTour for go

Releng

Postby Releng » Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:50 pm

Thanks for the replies. I will keep my eye out for some dual pivot brakes.
for the interim I have fitted some exage single pivots that were in the cupboard. They are not great but are in pretty good condition so work nicely and reliably. Although you can certainly tell the difference when you are used to dual pivots.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:33 pm

^ They're a standard road caliper. You can swap them for any modern short reach dual pivots and have better braking.

Bikey Mikey

Postby Bikey Mikey » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:01 pm

My first post to the forum.

I recently got a Shogun Team Issue which is now in pieces and I am about to strip the frame back and respray and rebuild. I am excited to get it rolling on the road.
I then researched the Shogun make a bit more and noticed how well regarded they are by those that know them and have one.
Then I saw a Metro SE for sale on FB marketplace that had been converted to a gravel bike, I thought It looked like a great bike. I then saw an identical Metro SE for sale in what appeared to be in nearly original condition and promptly purchased it, have taken it apart and now ready to build it up as a gravel bike with drop bars Sora shifters and some 40mm gravel tyres. The frame is welded not lugged the main frame tubes are all various non-circular profile shapes. The down tube is teardrop profile the seat states are square etc. The frame colour is a beautiful dark electric blue colour. Most notable is how damned light the frame is. I haven’t weighed it but it is LIGHT!
So my questions are:
does anyone know what vintage the bike is?
What place on the range hierarchy does it fall? What type of alloy is it made of to be so light weight?
Any info welcome.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:42 pm

The Shogun Metro has gone through a couple of different incarnations. The most commonly seen on the used market is the early-mid 90s CR-MO using either Tange tubing or Shogun's own 4130.

I love them, they make excellent townie bikes.

Bikey Mikey

Postby Bikey Mikey » Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:11 pm

10speedsemiracer wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:42 pm
The Shogun Metro has gone through a couple of different incarnations. The most commonly seen on the used market is the early-mid 90s CR-MO using either Tange tubing or Shogun's own 4130.

I love them, they make excellent townie bikes.
Thanks 10speed. Looking forward to seeing how it feels once I put it back together.

elantra

Postby elantra » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm

My Shogun 400, a recent holiday pic.
Previously pictured on these pages about 6months ago, has had a bit of a rebuild and recommissioned for holiday duties.
I suspect circa 1980 and was given to me as frame only. Frame is very “light tourer” type with long wheelbase, relaxed geometry and lots of tyre clearance. Also is 120mm between the rear dropouts so I had to be a bit sneaky with some mods to a 126mm OLD rear wheel etc.
Recent modifications include a “new” ITM quill stem, “new” brake pads and a rehash of the cables and FD (now a Campag Triomphe circa 1991)
The gear changing is pretty good (Shimano band-on 5sp INDEXED) which works well with the Suntour RD and Campag FD
Front wheel is fairly new, Shimano hub and Araya aero rim built up for me by LBS.
one of the beautiful things about any non-disc road bike is that you can put just about any 700C front wheel on it that was built within the last 50 years!

Gregai

Postby Gregai » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:02 am

harro101 wrote:
Wed May 31, 2017 4:00 pm
hi pricejo
so.... you bought the shogun i saw it on ebay,
but because it was not original, i left it
these R hard to find.
i have only seen 2 on ebay for about 8 years
shoguns have faded from the psyche, not many good ones around lately
as for yours.......
it iz a 1997 model, TEAM Issue, top of the shogun mountain range
i have the catalog give me your email and i'll send a pic to you
but yours has been heavily modified

anyway this should help
cheers
[/b]

Hi would you happen to have a copy of that catalogue still

This was my first full suspension MTB

I remember ordering in August 1997 and it arrived towards end of year

At the time awesome bike , spewing I sold it in 1999 I think , only bike I’ve ever felt like I sat in it rather than on it

Looks so different to new though

Pretty sure RRP back then was $2695 Aud

Also anyone know of any around still

MattyK

Postby MattyK » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:55 am

Releng wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:50 pm
Thanks for the replies. I will keep my eye out for some dual pivot brakes.
for the interim I have fitted some exage single pivots that were in the cupboard. They are not great but are in pretty good condition so work nicely and reliably. Although you can certainly tell the difference when you are used to dual pivots.
On my rebuild of the same bike (a couple of pages back) I threw some of these on it, the OEM brakes looked sketchy (pads like rocks and were missing one of the rubber spring slides.
Dual pivot, cheap, and silver of course.
https://www.cyclingdeal.com.au/buy/alum ... per/RC-452

munga

Postby munga » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 am

elantra wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:12 pm
My Shogun 400, a recent holiday pic.
Steve, I have an old, green Hoffy your size, begging to be bought and loved. msg me if ya wanna make a deal. mates rates, and all that..

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:19 pm

munga wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 am
Steve, I have an old, green Hoffy your size, begging to be bought and loved. msg me if ya wanna make a deal. mates rates, and all that..

Is that the one on a popular internet trading site?

ESPANA013

Postby ESPANA013 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 am

Hi Everybody.I`m new to the Shogun Appreciation Society.I own 2 Shogun-(Katana and Samurai) Road S eries Roadies.Always loved and ridden Shogun bikes as i will never touch or ride another brand as nothing beats riding this beloved brand of bikes.I see Shogun only makes electric bikes these days,not Roadies or MTB Bikes which is disappointing,and i view electric bikes a slackers bike,nothing beats pedal power LOL.
Can anyone please tell me how to join the Shogun Appreciation Society? As i would like to be a part of your group,and forums,Many thanks. :D

P!N20

Postby P!N20 » Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:06 am

ESPANA013 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 am
Can anyone please tell me how to join the Shogun Appreciation Society?

There's a small annual fee, I'll PM you my bank account details. :wink:

munga

Postby munga » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:04 pm

P!N20 wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:19 pm
munga wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:52 am

Is that the one on a popular internet trading site?
indeed it is. indeed it is.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:33 pm

ESPANA013 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:48 am
You're standing in it.

The rite of initiation starts with posting pics of your bikes.

Daveyj13

Re: Shogun Appreciation Society CrMo 500

Postby Daveyj13 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:10 pm

I purchased My CrMo 500 new in 1983. The serial number begins with a 3. Shimano Deore front and rear, 3X6 crank and cassette, Araya rims, Shimano Via hubs, Alps handlebar, SR neck, DiaCompe side-pull brakes, DiaCompe brake levers, painted mauve and yellow.
It has been a great bike. The only thing missing is the front emblem which was stolen. My son just bought me a carbon bike so it is time to say goodbye.
I don’t see how to post a picture.
Thanks for the forum,
David

1992Warrior

Postby 1992Warrior » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:43 am

1992Warrior wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:01 pm
You just did.

jlbro

Postby jlbro » Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Hi All
Have followed this thread for some time and never had the time / inclination to add anything. I first purchased my first Team Issue in 1990 and did a restore on it in 2013. Since then I've only ridden it a few k's and sits on a rack in my garage. Thought I would like to share a few pics of it just after restore.

Regards

jlbro

Thanks 10speedsemiracer...Did a bit of reading, TY.

jlbro
Last edited by jlbro on Sun May 02, 2021 11:15 am, edited 8 times in total.

10speedsemiracer

Postby 10speedsemiracer » Sat May 01, 2021 8:44 pm

jlbro wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm
Hi All
Have followed this thread for some time and never had the time / inclination to add anything. I first purchased my first Team Issue in 1990 and did a restore on it in 2013. Since then I've only ridden it a few k's and sits on a rack in my garage. Thought I would like to share a few pics of it just after restore.

Regards
jlbro

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/x9OACME" ><a href="//imgur.com/a/x9OACME">Team Issue</a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Hi Jibro,

Instead of using the Imgur HTML code, the BB Code drops the img straight into the post.

Very excited to see the Team Issue..

Boyetiful

Postby Boyetiful » Sun May 30, 2021 8:23 pm

Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I am just wondering if you know any Shogun Catalog available online?

Also, I have a Shogun Trail Breaker 3, can anyone help in identifying the year these bikes/frames where manufactured?

Lastly, I'm thinking of restoring and repainting it and I'm having a hard time searching for the exact logos and design that goes along with it (I have the mint green trail breaker 3)

Thank you very much!

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sun May 30, 2021 8:55 pm

Boyetiful wrote: Hello everyone!

I'm new here and I am just wondering if you know any Shogun Catalog available online?
Welcome outside. From page 30 of this thread : part 1988, 1989, 1992, 1996, 1998 & 2000
simon.young wrote:
Mon May 11, 2015 9:02 pm
Thanks to Alana we now have a 1989 Shogun ATB Catalog. I have also grouped the other shogun catalogs I have. If you have any more please send them to me and I'll add them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxzuqripbbfy ... yy_0a?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Boyetiful

Postby Boyetiful » Sun May 30, 2021 10:06 pm

find_bruce wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 8:55 pm
Boyetiful wrote: Hello everyone!

Welcome outside. From page 30 of this thread : part 1988, 1989, 1992, 1996, 1998 & 2000
simon.young wrote:
Mon May 11, 2015 9:02 pm
Thanks to Alana we now have a 1989 Shogun ATB Catalog. I have also grouped the other shogun catalogs I have. If you have any more please send them to me and I'll add them.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xxzuqripbbfy ... yy_0a?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wow!

Thank you very much find_bruce! I really appreciate this!

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Sun May 30, 2021 10:32 pm

jlbro wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:56 pm
Hi All

Regards

jlbro
Wow. That's in amazing condition. When you say you restored it, did you repaint it?